Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

We test drove a 2003 and the brakes were super.Requiring very little pedal pressure and were very sensitive. A year later we did a second test drive with the same great results. The brakes were as sensitive as an expensive SUV. We have purchased a 2005 34' limited and there is no comparision. The brakes require a considerable amount of pedal presure and are not sensitive.We called WRV immediately with our concern.No help so far.Anyone had the same experience or know the problem? tnx Dan
dan&donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #2

We test drove a 2003 and the brakes were super.Requiring very little pedal pressure and were very sensitive. A year later we did a second test drive with the same great results. The brakes were as sensitive as an expensive SUV. We have purchased a 2005 34' limited and there is no comparision. The brakes require a considerable amount of pedal presure and are not sensitive.We called WRV immediately with our concern.No help so far.Anyone had the same experience or know the problem? tnx Dan
dan&donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #3

We have a 34' 2005 Alpine and never had a comparison of any other Alpine's brakes, but I have always felt that I needed tremendous pedal pressure to stop the coach. Even holding the coach at a red light is something I must keep very conscious of. I had a 40' Monaco with air brakes prior and felt it was much easier to stop than the Alpine. I have had them checked by the dealer on two different occasions and told they were ok!

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #4

Ours has always been hard to brake too. We now wonder if it has something to do with our brake problem we are trying to find a solution to.

Maybe more owners will chime in on this so we will know if the hard braking is normal.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #5

I owned a 2000 Alpine and it took at lot less pedal pressure than my 05. Not sure when they went to the adjustable pedals but that may have something to do with the issue. There probably is less mechanical advantage in the system.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #6

On ours there is a verrry hard braking req'mt when first out on the road, till I cycle the brakes (which I now try to remember to do B4 getting into traffic . Then it takes effort on the pedal, but not Herculean (which is good, since my legs are closer to Olive-oil's than to Hercules'). I'm thinking it may have to do w/the actual level of hydraulic pressure entering the HydroMax boost brake master-cylinder unit. Cedar is working thru this right now & hopefully we'll hear more about it when their's is fixed.

I'm thinking of adding a hydraulic pressure gauge on the line into the HydroMax for a better p.m. check on hydrauilics. It'll take an oil filled, 0-3000 ± psi gauge.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #7

We have a new 2006 34 ft Alpine. While I have nothing to compare it to I do feel tat it takes a lot of pedal pressure to keep it from creeping into the intersection when stopped at a signal. Will follow this subject with interest.
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Our 2000 takes a bit more pressure than any of the cars we have ever owned. Patty has driven it and never complained about the effort required. A lower effort would be nice

I do know that the few times when I've had to really step on it(the brake that is), I have managed to rearrange the entire coach. Patty tends to frown , but I tell her it's better than the alternatives.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #9

I've got a 98 Alpine my brake pedal takes a great deal of force to apply the brakes. When stopped at an intersection, I usually put my hand on my knee to help hold the coach stopped. I generally use the exaust brake most of the time to help stop.

From what I understand, the 98 only had two piston calipers and they had changed to four piston calipers by 2000.
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #10

I wish I had read this posting a few days earlier because I just left the factory and did not think to ask why my '06 foot pressure is so much more than the 2000 I previously owned. I admit that I have my toad brakes adjusted for panic stopping only and figured that it might be the reason for the extra pressure. If anyone receives a good explanation for the change, please post. I have learned that management reads these postings and perhaps they might chime in.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #11

bpe1 - Sounds like you need to adjust your idle speed to 500 instead of 2500.

Seriously, have you checked the fast idle adjustment by the pacbrake selector. It could be set high causing the transmission to engauge more at idle. With the coach in neutral you should be about 400 - 500 RPM. Anything higher than that will cause the coach to try to pull away harder.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #12

We replaced the Hydromax brake assembly and that did not fix our brake problem. We now have a power steering pump on order from WRV and hope that is the problem. If you will read the Hrydomax PDF file that Mike posted you will see that "hard brake" could be wrong flow from the Power steering pump. So, if this fixes our rig we will be a good test to tell if the hard brake changes. We do not remember it being this hard to brake when we first got our coach, but that is hard to judge. There are several things to check for "hard Brake" in that PDF file.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:33 AM   #13

SteveS-Sorry, but I do not have an idle adjustment next to the pac brake switch. The reason maybe that I have a 6CTA8.3 and not the ISC electronic controlled engine.

My idle is not high, I live in East TN and not many level intersections.
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #14

In all sincerity as much as I have complimented WRV and I still do, they would be insane to comment in this forum. We would all just have them for breakfast and Eng Mike could have them for lunch & dinner. I think they do a great job but I would be terrified if they got involved in this hornets nest.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote