Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
3x5

Hydraulic Leak in Front Slide-Coming out of Frame

Hydraulic Leak in Front Slide

We have a 2005 36FDDS Alpine Limited Coach.

I have a small hydraulic leak in the front slide coming out in the bin. It is coming out of the metal frame at the base of a hollow threaded stud that comes out of a huge nut. See pictures.

I suppose there there is a hydraulic arm in there. It looks like some pretty heavy duty nuts holding it, and since I can't see inside, I am wary of just putting a wrench on it and trying to take it apart. We are traveling, so I can't afford to take it apart, if I can't get it back together in a day or so.

Can anyone tell me what might be involved in fixing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload 1 .jpg
Views:	42
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	298997   Click image for larger version

Name:	upload 2 .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	298998  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
That is a connection for one of the two HWH hydraulic cylinders that move your main room slide. If you clean it up really well and can determine if the leak is just from the threads at the elbow or the compression fitting you might be able to fix it with a small fraction of a turn on the threads. It the leak is where the compression fitting is crimped onto the hose you need to replace the hose. If the leak is from inside the rectangle steel tube them the hydraulic cylinder needs to come out. If the leak isn't too bad I would wait till you are home to deal with it.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Commercial Member

those 90 degree fittings have a way of loosening up. try cleaning the area, and then tighten the 90 degree fitting where it is screwed on the fitting coming out of the back of the cylinder.
best way is to loosen the fitting, take it up snug, and about 1/4 turn. not as tight as you can get it. that will just cause it to leak again.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
If the leak is from inside the rectangle steel tube then the hydraulic cylinder needs to come out. If the leak isn't too bad I would wait till you are home to deal with it.

Thanks for the input.

I tightened it as much as I dared with zero effect.

It really looks like the leak is coming from inside the tube, at the bottom of the smaller threaded stud. Of course, I will redo that 90 degree fitting. But when I start on it, I am afraid I will end up having to pull the hydraulic cylinder. I wonder what I will be in for?

I guess I don't have to worry about finding a replacement model number. I should be able to just get it rebuilt at a tractor place.

I will wait until I can stop somewhere that I can really work on it.

John
Old 08-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
3x5

Here are a couple more pictures. I really hope it is just the elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload 4 .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	299184   Click image for larger version

Name:	upload 3 .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	299185  

Old 08-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

To remove that cylinder first you extend the room slide, you will get access to the end of the cylinder ram thru a hole in the tube to get to the nut on the end of the ram. On the other end remove the two hoses and large nut and the two smaller nuts and remove the end plate. then you can remove the cylinder. if you are good with tools and mechanics you can do the job. HWH wood not sell me a rebuild kit, i went to a local hydraulic store and they measured the 4 orings for $12 The other cylinder is in the small compartment where you put the fluid in if your coach is made like my 2000 Alpine.
dragrace728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

that looks like a 1/8 NPT to a #4AN/JIC flare adapter fitting for the hose. It just looks like it is leaking where the fitting screws in.

Remove the hose. Then remove the adapter. Inspect it carefully where the pipe threads intersect the hex. It's unlikely, but possible that it's cracked there. If so, you should be able to get one at any NAPA or a truck shop. Put some more teflon or paste sealant on the adapter, and screw it back in. Since it's a tapered thread, my guess is it wasn't screwed in all that tight.

Replace the hose, then shoot it all with brake cleaner to clean it off well and make it easier to see if the leak is coming from somewhere else, but it doesn't look like its coming from behind the big nut and it doesn't look like its coming from the hose.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:11 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x5 View Post
Here are a couple more pictures. I really hope it is just the elbow.

3x 5

The BEST advise you will get is from AZPete, although he works for HWH he is trying to do the best for YOU. I have worked with him for years and he knows the system. If he tells it to you, you can take it to the bank.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, hydraulic, leak, slide