Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydro hot system

i have the hydro hot system in my 2006 alpine coach 40fd. when i set my thermostat to furnace does it run off the hydro hot system? and also do i have to have the hydro hot system switch on for the furnace to work? im new to this kind of system.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have an Alpine so my situation may be different but I have dedicated thermostats in the coach that have a HydroHot label on them. The roof heat pumps have their own t-stat.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dennis,

When you set your thermostat to "furnace" you also need to check which furnace mode is selected in the window of the thermostat. If the thermostat is set to electric, the roof heat pumps will provide heat through the ceiling vents. Pressing the "mode" button on the thermostat until "gas" is selected will cause the Hydro Hot to provide heating to your coach as long as the electric and/or diesel switches are on. The heat will be delivered through the floor vents via heat exchangers. This is our preferred way to heat the coach because it is so quiet. Your thermostat also has two zones. Zone 1 is for the front half of the coach. Zone 2 is for the back half and basement so you will want to make sure zone 2 is heating if you are traveling in freezing weather to provide heat to your basement area.

If you are connected to 30amp shore power, you can only run ONE air conditioner/heat pump. Since the duct work in the ceiling is connected, you can run the bedroom unit (zone 2) with the rear vents closed and the front vents open to cut down on the noise level while you're in the living room and then reverse the process when you retire for the evening. Keep in mind that heating through the heat pump is only effective down to around 50 degrees or so.

Don't forget that your Hydro Hot needs annual service (new fuel filter and nozzle). The Hydro Hot performs best when it is used often.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, welcome!

I have a 2005 38 FDTS LTD so your systems should be close if not the same as mine, depends upon options and if you have an APEX. First a couple of questions. 1) do you have the heat pump option? 2) have there been any modifications to the heating system? 3) what type of thermostat do you have?

I have a replacement t stat (the old one died) that has a separate setting for the HP, so I have a setting for HP and one for hydro hot.

The Hydro Hot heats on 3 sources the switch should be in you utility closet near the t stat.

1) diesel - turn on the "diesel" switch, set the t stat.
2) electric - turn on the "electric" switch, set the t stat, there is not much volume of hot water in this mode but if you are careful you can do dishes and take a quick shower. If I am on shore power I leave this switch on all the time.
3) engine - no switches on, while you are driving the engine heats the hydro hot and you get "free" heat, just set the t stat.

You can also use the Hydro Hot to pre heat the engine, just turn on the preheat switch.

You will have 2 zones, the front of the coach and the rear. You should also have a hidden zone, the basement, there is an adjustment for the temperature on the ceiling of the basement, mine is near the Glendinning power reel, I have never changed it, the basement stays warm where it was set by WRV.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote