Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
3x5

Identfying Trailer Plug Harness Wires

I am changing my 4 round towed plug to a 7 blade plug. The four wires for lights and ground are in the current plug, so they are easy to figure out.

But there are three extra wires here that are just cut off and taped up. Apparently, there was a 6 or 7 pin plug on the rig at some time. Maybe they are OEM? They are blue, red, and black. Does anyone know what they are for by color?

I suspect one is a charging wire, which is what I need. If the other two are useful, I would like to hook them up too.

Not sure how to test them yet.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

All of the OE wires we're white.
The wires that you are seeing could possibly be for the turn signal converter box...not sure. A blue wire would normally be for electric brakes from the controller if there were one installed at some point. As for the black and red wires you will probably have to test them to figure them out.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

Jeep401 is on to it...to my knowledge, all Alpines were wired as a 7-way system....that is, the brake and turns signal wires are separate....the give away is when you have separate amber turn signals like our Alpines or like Honda tow vehicles....if your towed vehicle [trailer or car] is a std. 4-wire [brake lights and signal lights combine][red, w/two filament bulbs], you need a combiner box on your Alpine to convert the wiring config in the plug....
Alpines have at least one spare wire, maybe two, to the rear of the coach....in most cases, these spares are not of sufficient gauge [size] to support either a trailer brake controller or a charge wire....so you should verify what you have before "wiring them up".....the wiring diagram above is a good reference but a voltmeter is your friend for this project.
PS--your 2005 uses Vansco comm modules to power towed vehicle lighting....these modules have max amp output limits....unlikely, but in some cases, things like "excessive" running lights on trailers will require relays and a direct power source.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

If I remember correctly mine had a five pin plug on the back. I needed a 7 blade for all my trailers. I ran my own dedicated wires for the brakes and charging. There was a power wire in the bundle but it was WAY too small as Old Scout said. If you are needing electric brakes DO NOT tap the existing brake circuit! There are a couple of ways to do it that won't risk a Vansco failure.
I also had to replace the box right after I changed the plug (left side brake light quit).
I took this opportunity to clean things up a bit back there, WRV cut the wires to the plug and put the box inline, two sets of splices on every wire! I took all the wires coming out of the new box and went strait to the trailer plug with them and eliminated half splices.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dean and Angelo are heading you in the right direction. Some previous owner has modified your trailer socket so you might want to unwrap the wire loom and find the splices. The OEM configuration was a 7 wire socket and the wires are all identified with printing on the wire insulation as follows:
TOWRT-ST is a white 16 ga wire for Right turn and stop combined.
TOWLT-ST is a white 16 ga wire for Left turn and stop combined.
3435B is a black 12 ga wire to ground.
TBC is a blue 10 ga wire for a trailer brake controller.
1149H is white 14 ga wire for backup lights.
TOWPWR is a white 16 ga wire for 12V but be advised it will only supply 6 amps before the Vansco output has an overcurrent status.
105B1 (?hard to read on my copy) is a white 16 ga wire for tail/running lights. I think it may be spliced upstream to two 6 amp wires total a 12 amps max current. If no splice it is only 6 amps.
Hope this helps sort you sort it out.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
3x5

Thanks. Good starting point. I'll get out there and see what I find.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
3x5

Thumbs up

I installed the 7 blade plug today. In case it will be of help, here is what I found.

I have the converter box for the brake lights.

There was a bundle of 7 wires. I didn't see any writing on the wires, but I didn't open up the flex tubing or try to trace them.

Thicker white wire was ground.

Thinner white wire was tail lights (normally would be brown).

Yellow wire was left turn/brakes.

Green wire was right turn/brakes.

Thick red wire was a charging wire. It only worked when the ignition was
on, so I won't have to unplug it for the night. It is fairly thick (maybe 10 gauge?). Even thicker than the wire that came with the Roadmaster charge wire kit. So I hooked it up to use it. instead The kit isn't run through the ignition anyway. I have the Vanscos, so I hope there are not problems with it.

Thick blue wire and thin black wire did not seem to be hooked up to anything. I even tried putting the transmission in reverse. I am hoping they are extra wires and come out under the dash somewhere. Like you said, blue is usually for a an electric trailer brake, which I am not getting. I think I will run my supplemental brake light indicator through the black one, if I can find where it comes out.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tags
trailer