RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

If you were doing it again

Just been sitting here thinking, I've had a little spare time lately.

If I was doing it again I'd probably opt for a 36' or possibly a 34' rather than our 40. The 40 FDTS is nice, drives great, good floorplan and tons of interior room. I've been thinking lately that it's bigger than we really need, two of us, and keeping it at home a couple of feet shorter would be easier to deal with. We moved since we bought it. Is it worth the hassle to sell and start shopping, most likely not, it's not a huge problem, just an inconvenience, and it will last until we are too old to enjoy it.

Just curious if anybody else has had second thoughts, not regrets per se, but, if I were doing it again, type thoughts.

I have no regrets buying the Alpine, wouldn't trade it for any other brand.

Looks like I may have too much spare time!!!

Terry

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #2

We are pretty much happy with our choice, and would not change if given the opportunity. Not that we will be given that opportunity! We came from a 26' Class C Lazy Daze with a mid-door design. We love the mid-door design. For the mid-door you only had a choice between 36 and 40. No regrets.

We did plan to own the Alpine for 10 years, make our longer cross country trips, and then go back to a smaller Class C again. We are 6+ years late on that plan, and will be many more years late!

Some day we might change the flooring. We were never happy with the glossy tile. But we don't dislike it enough to be willing to pay the money to change it. Yet. It has held up well.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

Terry we have a 34FDDS. If I did it over I might go to 36. The 34 meets our needs just fine but if you like to entertain it's not so great. Two slides up front would cure that. A little more basement storage would be nice too. That said going in and out of Oregon state parks is a piece of cake and going down the road fully loaded over 4000 pounds under our GVW is a pleasure.

Would I pick an Alpine again. Yes. The only expensive repair I have had to make on our 15 year old coach is a radiator replacement that I did myself. We have owned it 5 years. We plan to keep it a long time.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We had originally planned to a 34' Alpine but looked and looked and found anymore options for 36' units. When a very well maintained 36 FDDS came along we jumped on it and haven't looked back.

As many of you know we've made many changes and upgrades and ended up with what we think is a great coach that works well for us.

If I could wave a magic wand I would be so much happier with a 30" front door vs the small front door that is only on the 36

I really like the later 36 MDDS where the door was moved further back 2005 or later I think.

I would also like to have the larger 400 ISL vs the 350 ISC we have but this would not be a deal-breaker for us.

We've gotten our 36'er in some pretty tight places and really like the long-wheelbase for its size.......very, VERY happy as I think these things are minor for sure.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

The 36’ (37’) is sort of the Goldilocks. Only 3’ shorter than the 40’ and 2’ longer than the 34’ (35’). Interestingly, the 36’ front door models DS and TS have the 26” entry door. All other models, even the 34’ have a 30” entry door. The 36’ also has the same size holding tanks as the 38’ and 40’, whereas the 34’ has slightly smaller tanks.

We like the N/S Queen bed as opposed to an E/W King or Queen. There is definitely more bedroom space in the 40’ models, but despite having a Cal King at the house, we’ve found the queen in the coach to be more comfortable than any queen bed we’ve tried.

After many discussions, the DW decided we didn’t need anything bigger than 36’, so the decision was made. She was right, as usual. We have the interior the way we want it and will probably add solar and replace the house batteries with Lithium next year when we’ll both be retired and able to enjoy it more.

As mentioned, it is a relative light weight. We’re at ~30K fully loaded. The coach will probably outlive us, or we’ll be those crazy old coots in the vintage RV.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
The 36’ (37’) is sort of the Goldilocks. Only 3’ shorter than the 40’ and 2’ longer than the 34’ (35’). Interestingly, the 36’ front door models DS and TS have the 26” entry door. All other models, even the 34’ have a 30” entry door. The 36’ also has the same size holding tanks as the 38’ and 40’, whereas the 34’ has slightly smaller tanks.

We like the N/S Queen bed as opposed to an E/W King or Queen. There is definitely more bedroom space in the 40’ models, but despite having a Cal King at the house, we’ve found the queen in the coach to be more comfortable than any queen bed we’ve tried.

After many discussions, the DW decided we didn’t need anything bigger than 36’, so the decision was made. She was right, as usual. We have the interior the way we want it and will probably add solar and replace the house batteries with Lithium next year when we’ll both be retired and able to enjoy it more.

As mentioned, it is a relative light weight. We’re at ~30K fully loaded. The coach will probably outlive us, or we’ll be those crazy old coots in the vintage RV.
Very well said!!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Over all, the 34' 400hp FDDS met most of my requirements. My last RV was a gas 32', that delivered 9mpg.

Missing on the FDDS: King bed and better than 7mpg.

Alpine was unknown to me prior and we're glad to have found a well cared for '07, despite some pricey surprises (is there any other kind in a DP RV?)

In the unlikely replacement game, it'd probably be to a Sprinter-sized, but their much higher cost, much smaller TOAD capability and space limits got us looking elsewhere. MPG is nice but not everything.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
It depends upon your primary use of the coach.

Before we retired, we did primarily long weekend trips and one or two week vacationing trips. Most of the time staying in state/federal/county parks. During those years I regretted not getting a 36', due to the difficulty of finding long enough sites in campgrounds.

However, now the primary use is 3-4 months parked in an RV resort in CA/AZ. The extra room and King bed is ideal for that. I guess we bought the right size after all.

We drove a 34, 36 and two 40's during our search back in 2009. Two things steered us to the 40 Quad slide: The wife wanted a King bed, and the deal on our coach was the best of the 4 coaches we looked at. But it was mostly the King bed...
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #9

We full time in a 34' fifth wheel for almost 8 years now and I would not want to go any larger. In fact, wife and I have talked that a 32' FW would be our next size to buy. We don't need 2 recliners along with a recliner couch for just 2 people.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote