Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #1

Ignition circuit is completely dead!

There are no dash warning lights with the ignition key in the on position or in the start position. The generator slide will not operate as it is on the same circuit.
I suspect the fusible link in the battery compartment or one of the mini-fuses at position A B C D E F per the schematic. The only problem is I don’t know where they are located. (Probably behind the batteries in a small black box which I can’t seem to get open). I have replaced the chassis batteries and checked all the grounds at the starter and battery compartment. Can’t check the front grounds because I cannot open the generator slide. The ignition switch is working properly per the VMMS. All other house related electrical circuits are unaffected.
packetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Check that the chassis battery disconnect is on. Turn the switch off for a few seconds then back on. This resets the vansco. If this does not work check for voltage into and out of the disconnect switch.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

If the engine cranks but will not start, re check your ground connections at the battery. Sounds like you may have left one off. Don't ask how I know this.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

What chassis is your Alpine built on ?
Can you post a picture of the box you can't open.
Is you ignition switch dash mount or on the steering column ?
I ask about the ignition switch because , most have multiple circuits that activate when the key is turned on , to spread the load and avoid overheating the contacts.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I have reset the vansco system multiple times to no avail. I also replaced the starter solenoid. The vansco system, which is powered by the chassis batteries, seems fully functional so I don’t think that it’s a voltage drop issue at the cut off switch. The ignition switch start position activates the vansco 3 and then the 17 line. The front vansco I can see the 3 light go out and the 17 light come on, so I don’t think it is the ignition switch. The rear vansco unit the 3 light does the same, except the 17 flashes (not solid) which might indicate a fault. Is the fault within the vansco or a rely or fuse tied to it. Network activity light flashes as it should.

The ignition circuit is completely dead – engine start is not possible. The chassis is a peak chassis. The ignition switch is dash mounted. I’ll post a picture of the little black box as soon a possible. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Did this problem just start on its own or did you do any kind of maintenance to the coach.
Like battery work?
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

I did just replace the rear (passenger side) jack springs because of a slow retracting jack. It didn't help, so the coach needs to go into the shop to have the cylinder rebuild. The jack just happens to be in the battery compartment here the rear vansco unit.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The flashing light would indicate a short in the vansco. Behind the black metal cover are fuses for the trans and eng. if you think it's the vansco take the one from the front and swap it with the back to see if it corrects the problem
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #9

The technical website does not appear to have the Vansco rear unit interface with the coach battery/starting system. Does anyone have any schematics for this?

The technical library Vansco ladder document shows the front unit setup as input 3 accessories and input 17 crack which is consistent with my coach. However the rear unit show input 3 as accessories but input 17 as ABS lamp. Output 5 is shown as start solenoid. My rear unit has input 17 flashing with the ignition switch in start position. Has anyone had similar problems?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
If the rear output # 5 is not coming on it may be your transmission is not showing in neutral.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

The neutral safety switch. If there is no power, how to I check or correct that? It could be as simple as I left the transmission in gear and turn off the engine. Hope that did not happen.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Okay, I found a post from 2012, with a similar problem, in which Engineer Mike said that it might be the PDM, which turned out to be the case. I am contacting Parker to see if they will test it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I would look at the ignition switch. It maybe defective and not allowing power to the coach. I would also check to see if you have power to the switch. It is just my $0.02.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I have a 2000 so I'm guessing but your wires from the jack sensors or any other wires close by are not shorted are they?
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote