Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
the answer is don't drive over 45, and don't drive is there is more than a 1 knot breeze.
That would pair well with a sailboat. You can always use one or the other

Our door is pretty solid too, but at highway speeds, a strong gust of wind will definitely make noise. Our latch might need adjusting though. If we don't secure the deadbolt, those wind gusts can pull the door open. Very exciting first drive home from the RV dealer.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Yeah, I'm not anxious to screw up that striker.
Is it like a bolt that could be tightened by rotating? Seems pretty solid. I don't want to damage it.

I'm going to add an uninterrupted loop of hollow rubber gasket as I described above and see what happens.
I figure that over time there has probably been some racking of the coach and the door so things don't align as they used to.
Or, it's always been like that and the answer is don't drive over 45, and don't drive is there is more than a 1 knot breeze.
You will not screw up the striker, it is designed to be loosened or tightened and adjusted if needed. Note the hex head on the end, that's for the purpose of repositioning the striker. The issue I had was different. The door would not stay fully latched while driving. I adjusted the striker so the latch moved to its full lock, vertical position when the door was snug against the frame.

However, that may not be your issue so if your door closes and fully latches easily, and the outer rubber seal is slightly pressed against the outside of the door opening evenly, then you should leave well enough alone, IMO.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #17

Step 1:
I added a new "B" weatherstripping on top of the existing one, on the inside of the outer door. Why?:
1. The new stuff was skinnier than I thought.
2. The existing weather stripping was compressed, but totally intact and VERY well adhered.
I had to adjust the door striker back it's original position---centered on the jamb. I suppose 20 years of door slamming on a slowly compressing gasket allowed it to drift inward.

Step 2:
On a road test at 65 mph with 20 knot side wind toward the door, it was a total success---almost no sound at all. On the 2nd half of the test, with the wind toward the driver side there was a big improvement but still some annoying noise.
The next step will be to remove and replace the existing "D" weatherstripping on the coach body. That would be between the coach and the screen door when closed. The old "D" is in good shape but there are gaps in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_121005.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	293089   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_121030.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	293090  

Name:	20200713_121125.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	293091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_121234.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	293092  

Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #18

Part 3:
I added the new D weatherstripping onto the doorframe of the coach.
So, when the door is closed, it will be between the door frame and the screen door gasket.
I did have to temporarily move the door striker out a bit. I say temporarily because I expect the weatherstripping to compress a little.
On a test drive on the freeway at 65mph with a notable side wind, there was almost no noise. You can hear the whoosh from air hitting the exterior wind baffle, and you can hear the tires on the road. No whining or rattling.

Success with a caveat--until the rubber compresses a little bit, I can't use the deadbolt.

I'm hoping that happens quickly with our hot july weather.

So bottom line, needs some adjustments but totally removed annoying wind noise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200724_122836.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	294404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200724_122843.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	294405  

Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags