Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #1

Induction cooktop

We’re considering converting to an induction cooktop. I am wondering if those of you who have made the change are happy with your decision.

Would you do it again. Would you buy the same cooktop? Do you miss having the propane cooking? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #2

We have one in our new motorhome, the wife likes it.
It did have one burner die after one 1/2 yrs, it was covered under the warranty.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #3

I did the swap and the wife loves it. No problems, works great and I would not go back to gas. I went with a True Induction unit. I did wire in a switch to keep it off when not in use. Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:36 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, we converted about 6 years ago to the two burner TruInduction unit. It is faster than the old gas burner. With the 38’ FDTS our kitchen does not move so the only problem is I used the 120 volt plug on the wall. This year my wife brought our Air Fryer, when we try to run both units it pops the circuit breaker (to much current, 15 amp CB), so for the few times she want/needs to run both, she has learned to time her cooking. WRV only has a few general purpose circuit breakers, so unless I want to move the air fryer across the room, she times her cooking.

Even with this restriction she will not give up her induction cook top!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiland View Post
I did the swap and the wife loves it. No problems, works great and I would not go back to gas. I went with a True Induction unit. I did wire in a switch to keep it off when not in use. Good Luck.
Just curious why you were concerned with it being on when not in use. Is the off-on switch easy to bump to the on position or is there internal load when it is turned off? I guess, safety or battery saving is the question.

Thanks, Terry
Old 09-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys. We’re looking seriously at a True Induction cooktop. We have an existing oven that will have to be dealt with. The wife likes the idea so I guess it’s in the planning stage.

I don’t know whether to fill the big oven hole with a 5 gallon vodka decanter or put a cushion in there and call it a dog house.

Terry
Old 09-28-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We removed the gas cooktop, and use the space for our portable induction one burner unit. We take it outside to keep the heat out and with the right pots and pans is easy to use.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #8

I have a new True Induction single burner. While I really like the smooth surface (gives extra counter space too!) the temperature sensor is not working. I can set anything and the burner hits 300+ F. I can adjust the burner using the heat settings, but it would be way nicer to have the temp work.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Just curious why you were concerned with it being on when not in use. Is the off-on switch easy to bump to the on position or is there internal load when it is turned off? I guess, safety or battery saving is the question.

Thanks, Terry
I did it strictly for Safety. We take the grand kids with often and didn't want murphy's law to come into play. Also ours is a recessed cooktop with a cover and with the lighted switch I can see at a glance if it's on or not. Outside of that no reason, because without a pot or pan on the burner it wont heat up anyway.
Happy Travels.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:02 AM   #10

That’s what I wanted to hear.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2022, 08:53 AM   #11

Induction cooktops are ok. Here's what I don't like. Pans slide around on them. When you lift up the edge of a pan to swirl the oil or whatever around, it beeps and turns off. The top stays hot for quite a while after shut off. When you wipe the surface down, the unit will turn on and off as you go over the on/off button. Yes, you can lock it to prevent turning it on or you can turn your inverter off first, but it's still one more thing to do. It's a good alternative to combustion cooktops, but I probably wouldn't put one in my home.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #12

They make a item for sliding around.https://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Inductio...48&sr=8-5&th=1
Secondly, that's one of the reasons I put a switch on it.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Induction cooktop

Terry,

This is what I did on ours. The “shelf” in front is helpful when getting into the fridge. You can see the old finger holes in the Karadon. Toaster sits behind it nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	377879
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:39 AM   #14

Thanks guys,

I bought the True Induction with the single induction burner and the two gas burners. I’m thinking it will be a little more versatile being able to use other type pans and when friends bring dishes in.

We’re always gonna have propane for the bbq and fire pit.

I have it in place and working but not totally mounted or secured. We have the propane oven below it for now and we’re deciding what to do with it. We’re kicking around a wine cooler or an air fryer type electric oven. I’m sure she’ll decide what I want

Terry