Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #1

Interstate U2200 Batteries

We have six Interstate U2200 batteries that are four years old. We rarely dry camp, we full time, and I'm fairly anal about maintaining the batteries. I'm wondering how long others have used their U2200 batteries before they had to be replaced.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Jerry, I got a full five years out of mine and replaced them with the same thing. I changed them due to age not because anything failed.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

4 years. Dead. I let them run dry.
Looking at the life line battery's, $259. ea. best price I can find.
Lifeline GPL-4CT Battery Price

I can't see paying this much for battery's. I know, no maintenance, but still,
$1550.00 vs. $550. for interstate wet cells.

I am not cheep, but I cant see the math on this one. The Life line would have to last 12 years. OK, 10, give a little for the convenience

I still need help to find auto fill cap replacement parts.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought ours in the spring of 2006, I have no intention of replacing them yet, and I hope not for some time to come. If you rarely dry camp why replace them. When we hit the trail we are dry camping most of the time, but that's only a couple months out of the year. The rest of the time they're on a battery minder. Also I have one of those Black and Decker 40 amp Vector chargers that do the equalizing thing. Just got it last year.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mule Skinner,

For Battery Fill System replacement parts, take a look at their website: Battery Filling Systems - Watering systems for battery maintenance

Their webpage has links to their (pdf files) catalogs, both Industrial and Golf.

In my experience with them, they don't want to do any more than give you information. They'll try to steer you to a reseller to buy the parts instead of just ponying up and sending you the few plastic pieces you may need. One of their distributors is one of the solar places we motorhomers keep hearing about in AZ but I can't remember which one right now.

Good luck!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My set of four original Interstate U2200 batteries installed in June 2001 lasted until December 2006 with terrible maintenance and care. I bought the coach from the original owners in December of 2003 and didn't pay much attention to the batteries. They went low in distilled water a number of times. I replaced them with the same brand and type. Now every month I always check the fluid level to make sure it stays at the top.

The chassis battery, only one big one, which is now well over 9 years old and is still going strong. I will replace that with the same brand and type.

Why change what has worked really well with very little problems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

My Interstate Batteries lasted almost 3 years before I had excessive swelling and decided to replace them. I am sure my auto battery fill system from the factory did not adequately do the job and that some of the cells probably got dry. I replaced with Lifeline AGMs 1 1/2 years ago or so and won't go back to wet cells. I have no gassing of batteries in the compartment; the compartment stays clean and neat; I don't have to mess with water or worry about whether they are full or not. And after using them for 6 days at Quartzite last week and seeing their performance on a longer dry camp, I'm impressed. I've also known RV owners who have had their Lifeline AGMs for nearly 5 years and they continue to work fine.

So I think it's a matter of how much time and attention you want to give the batteries and how much you want to pay for them. For me, the reduced time and attention is worth the price; for others it may not be. Probably the only downside other than price is that if one AGM fails, I have been told you need to replace all of them.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My interestates were installed at the factory in May of 2005

Still going strong.

I do feel that the six volt golf car battery (Such as the U-2200) paired is the best bang for your buck.. You can get batteries at Sam's or Costco often for a lower price.

What I don't know is how good they are... (I have no experience with them) though I've not heard any complaints from other forum members about 'em.

Johnson Controls is one of the companies that make Interstate batteries,, Sam's and Costco's.