RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Inverter Overtemp Alarm

I've been on the road 3 days with my 2001 Alpine Coach 38' motorhome. This is my 5th trip over ~1 1/2 years. Everyhing goes well for the start of the day. I run the generstor all day so I can run the roof ACs (100 degree days). In the evening, when I setup at a campground, I am getting a overtemp alarm on the inverter. I can clear the alarm by using the circuit breaker to off/on the unit. I haven't had this problem before. Each day I have been more a d more meticulous about turning everything off before I switch to AC power. I have a feeling that I may have a bad house battery or 2, but I haven't been able to prove this with a measurement. I'm asking for your thoughts about what might be generating the alarm. Also, I'd like to hear your sequence for changing from over the road power to campgroud power.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #2

heat

We had the same issue with our 2000 38' Alpine when outside temps were high.
Try removing the drawer above the inverter for venting. This solved our problem until we got home. Final solution was cutting a large hole and built a new vent cover. The existing vent/hole is too small.
Also make sure the inverter fan is operating.
We also shut everying down before plugging into AC power And unplug before using MH power.
Gary

Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Someone I know has the Xantrex Freedom 458 and keep getting the High Temp, so I asked if his fan was running and it was not. Had to pull the inverter to remove the fan and ordered a new fan, all good now plus I told him to open the bay door a little. I switched the the Magnum 2812 and it has been on for 6 years, when I plug in to shore power I open the bay door a little to help cool it down with fresh air.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks gor the replies. It seems like the problems are weather related. It was near 100 degrees each time we had a problem. Last night is was around 80 degrees and I didn't have any problems. I'll check the fan. Removing the drawer is a good idea too.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Another option would be to install one or two muffin fans to move air over the inverter/charger. Turn it on when it is really hot out, batteries are really low (so high-amp charging) OR when inverting power.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
When it is really hot like that, I plug in and then run around to get inside and I click the charge button off. Then I start the air conditioners running, pull off the vent door to the inverter in the bedroom, and start a small fan blowing right into the area. If we have had the A/C going during the day, I can usually just wait a few minutes (while going out and putting pads under the jacks, getting the water connected, etc.) and then come back in and hit the charge button and usually that is all it takes. If we haven't had the A/C going, I will usually let the air conditioners run for a while and go ahead and level and then wait until the bedroom area is cool before trying to charge again.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

Hello Andy29847,
one thing your inverter is doing possibly all day if it gets 110V (no matter from where shore or gen... makes no difference) is charging your Batteries.
So have a look if it ever comes off the bulk charge mode. A large bank depleted can take a long time to get charged, however if it comes not off the bulk then you have a bad battery / cell.
The inverter stuffs 100A into your batteries all day and that starts to heat things up especially with reduced cooling on hot days.
If you are on a trip right now you can reduce the Amps the inverter is charging and this will make things a bit cooler. I do not know what Inverter / Remote panel you have but in mine I have a setting called "charge rate" in a % value. So at 100%=100A set this to a lower value like 50%. If you run 110V all day then there should still be ample of time to get your batteries charged.

Also you do not need to open your inverter to confirm that the fan is running. On boot up it will run the fan on full for a second or 2 that you can clearly hear.

Good luck
Joerg

Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter