Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2023, 11:55 AM   #1

Inverter question.

Good morning all. This week I purchased the 36MDDS formerly owned by user Mountain Mike. Been looking for a long time for a clean coach and finally found it. I spent a day replacing the house batteries and all the cables then fired up the xantrex and it worked great. Last night I plugged in my electric blanket (we are boondocking at our rv park while we move from our alpenlite Versailles 32) and smoked the blanket controller. Looking through the various discussions I believe the xantrex is modified sine. If that is the case, is there some info reference what is safe to run until I can swap it off for a sine wave inverter? iPhones, a PC, Verizon hot spot, cpap? We will be in our regular spot by tonight so I have time for planning and executing a inverter change.
JimKNAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #2

What model Zantrex?

Were your electric blanket controllers digital or analog? Ours are digital and we keep them unplugged when on inverter power.
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #3

Can get the model # just yet. Bedroom is full while we sort/throw out/donate a 20 year accumulation from the 5th wheel.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #4

Mountain Mike just let me know it is modified sine. So that answers my main question. Guess I just need to determine what inverter I will buy and get it installed before we hit the road in April.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:34 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The easy fix is to replace with a 2000 or 2500W Xantrex but the right answer is to replace with a VIctron 12/3000 Multiplus II which is not only a Hybrid inverter but more importantly it is a 2 X 120 inverter that will allow you to invert on all circuits for about the same price.

The Victron components are also without a doubt the most advanced in terms of technology, communication, and ability to grow with compatible Solar, DC-DC charging, and mostly monitoring both locally and remotely.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
The easy fix is to replace with a 2000 or 2500W Xantrex but the right answer is to replace with a VIctron 12/3000 Multiplus II which is not only a Hybrid inverter but more importantly it is a 2 X 120 inverter that will allow you to invert on all circuits for about the same price.

The Victron components are also without a doubt the most advanced in terms of technology, communication, and ability to grow with compatible Solar, DC-DC charging, and mostly monitoring both locally and remotely.

I don't doubt that Paul65k is right about this. But this is what I did this week, installed it about 10minutes ago and it took about 30 minutes to do. I did not have to replace any of the support equipment (remote control, etc).I posted my last post on here to read in case you did not see the post which is a few down from yours.

Well moving in a direction now. Found A great supplier of Magnum Inverters(this is what was in my Alpine) Josh from Zonna Energy 330 674 1750 new everything about my system and walked me through testing and even sold me a direct replacement Magnum. the end of the day, when testing the old inverter, the most important thing to have is a good source of 12v DC. Once I established that, it was obvious the inverter was smoked, literally. Although he would fix the smoked one, supply chain is difficult right now on the parts from Magnum with my specific modal (MS2012 2000watt). The upgraded MS2812 (2800watt) is more popular, and parts are in stock so I went for this one, It was only a couple hundred bucks more.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I had the exact same problem with my electric blanket and a modified sine wave inverter. Fried the controller.
Now I’m replacing the inverter with a pure sine wave inverter, 4024 from Magnum, lithium 24 v batteries, 24v solar charge controller and a Victron dc to dc charger from the alternator. Preparing for when the old absorption refrigerator craps out and I replace it with a domestic type refrigerator.
feathersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
2x120v

I noticed a peculiarity of the Magnum 2812 when we had to replace ours at Bordur's in AZ (https://bordurcoachleasing.com) it appears to have an option for 240v (2x120v) output.

It's been too long for me to remember now whether it was a dip switch setting or a removable jumper but when I pointed out the feature to the owner/tech - who like me was surprised to see it - he confirmed that I was not hallucinating and that it appeared to be what I thought it was.

Since the new unit was already completely wired in when I noticed it, we didn't actually test it to see if it did what it seemed it would but it did set me to thinking that I might be able to rewire our rig to power up the "mains" panel from the inverter AND/OR get the old one fixed and use it for an off-grid cabin's power system.

Looking over the 2812 specs, I see NOTHING that suggests 2x120v output BUT I DID see something on the unit itself that seems to provide that option.

Has anyone out there (I'm talking to you, Paul) seen anything to confirm or deny that capability?

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser TOAD
Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:55 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
MS2812 2x120 CONFIRMED

So, after posting my previous query to the community, I located Magnum's installation manual online and - VIOLA! - there it was (clearly depicted in Fig. 2-13 on page 29): 240/120 or 2x120 IS possible!
I will definitely be getting our old unit repaired for use on 'the homestead'!
And, I now have reason to look further into the possibility of rearranging the connections to the 'house' panel and how best to configure that...hmm ...probably requires some reconfiguration at the transfer switch.

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser TOAD
Maryfaith Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post

I have to agree. My OE inverter fried two years ago. Replaced it with what was pretty much a direct replacement Renogy, 2000 watt just like the original.

I just did not like the way it operated. Tripped too easily. No monitor panel. Still only ran the refrigerator and the TV plus the outlets.

I waited a long time. I ordered the Victron Multi-Plus II 3000 12/2-120 and I love that it will power anything in the coach. All Bluetooth. Compatible and will communicate with just about anything from a DC to DC charger, solar charge controllers, and multiple monitor options and is very simple to adjust. I haven't yet done any solar or LiPO4 batteries but everything is there for when I do.

Victron all the way. You won't be sorry.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:22 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryfaith Moon View Post
I noticed a peculiarity of the Magnum 2812 when we had to replace ours at Bordur's in AZ (https://bordurcoachleasing.com) it appears to have an option for 240v (2x120v) output.

It's been too long for me to remember now whether it was a dip switch setting or a removable jumper but when I pointed out the feature to the owner/tech - who like me was surprised to see it - he confirmed that I was not hallucinating and that it appeared to be what I thought it was.

Since the new unit was already completely wired in when I noticed it, we didn't actually test it to see if it did what it seemed it would but it did set me to thinking that I might be able to rewire our rig to power up the "mains" panel from the inverter AND/OR get the old one fixed and use it for an off-grid cabin's power system.

Looking over the 2812 specs, I see NOTHING that suggests 2x120v output BUT I DID see something on the unit itself that seems to provide that option.

Has anyone out there (I'm talking to you, Paul) seen anything to confirm or deny that capability?
This is the new MS2812RV which was released about 18-24 months ago. It allows both lines to pass through from the inverter vs the previous MS2812 units that only allowed one leg to pass through.

This and the Victron I mentioned earlier are the only ones I know that allow native passing of both lines. I wasn't aware that the Magnum could operate in split phase or 120/240V mode...... which would be great for either a 240V dryer or a multi zone mini-split unit.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Just a thought ... If you have both 120V legs being cut through to the coach and there's problem with charger/inverter, you could be without any ac power in the coach. Whereas, one leg would remain active in the normal configuration. However, counting on the inverter to cut through both legs is a relatively small risk. But ... Stuff does happen, huh!?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter