Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

Great conversation here but are you both talking "apples to apples?" Most Alpiners know about these inverters: 1-Freedom Combi; 2- RS2000 or 3000; or 3-Magnum. My old OEM F/C inverter had a positive post temp sensor; my later RS2000 has a negative post temp sensor. So which did Onan have?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #16

I assume its the RS2000 but don't know for sure. Does the model number,2HJBAA-4173C tell me anything?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Well, putting that number into google yields this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/inve...ons-21403.html
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #18

OK--now I am confused. In post 9 above you stated that you have an Onan inverter. Ref post 16--you think its an RS2000 which is a Xantrex model. "Assuming" you have the Onan, my thought is that you are on a sinking ship [inverter-wise] that is no longer supported by Onan. Lots of info on this forum about replacement options. You will have to replace the control panel and probably re-run the control cable to it--unless you have the basic number of wires in the OEM cable and know how to reconfigure it with new cable-end connectors.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

Well, after a little research, I found I have an Onan Equinox Inverter/Charger with the "optional" Equinox Digital Display( I assume all Alpines with the Onan I/C have this "option"). It is the 2000 watt model. I have a residential fridge. I will probably have to replace the I/C shortly. Yesterday I unplugged from shore power(batteries fully charged) as indicated by the level meter and voltage, left unplugged with nothing on in the coach. Battery Level meter on the display indicated F. After an hour, or so, I plugged back in and the Battery level indicator dropped significantly and the charger began charging. Is this normal, due to the Battery level meter not indicating true RMS voltage in a steady state, or is there something wrong? Please be simple and straightforward with your ideas as I am new to this coach and trying to figure it out.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #20

" Is this normal, due to the Battery level meter not indicating true RMS voltage in a steady state, or is there something wrong?"

RMS refers to 120 VAC-- not related to 12 VDC.

Have you checked battery voltage with a digital voltmeter at the batteries? at the 12 VDC lugs of the inverter/charger?

Those E-F voltmeters are pretty meaningless.

When unplugged, the surface charge on a battery bank will dissipate-- quite normal. So, while plugged in and immediately after unplugging, voltage could read 13.0+ VDC. And could drop to 12.7 or so as this surface charge is dissipated. No problem.

So, again, verify what is happening with a digital voltmeter, not a E-F gauge.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Inverter Screen Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by swprdog View Post
Well, after a little research, I found I have an Onan Equinox Inverter/Charger with the "optional" Equinox Digital Display( I assume all Alpines with the Onan I/C have this "option"). It is the 2000 watt model. I have a residential fridge. I will probably have to replace the I/C shortly. Yesterday I unplugged from shore power(batteries fully charged) as indicated by the level meter and voltage, left unplugged with nothing on in the coach. Battery Level meter on the display indicated F. After an hour, or so, I plugged back in and the Battery level indicator dropped significantly and the charger began charging. Is this normal, due to the Battery level meter not indicating true RMS voltage in a steady state, or is there something wrong? Please be simple and straightforward with your ideas as I am new to this coach and trying to figure it out.
Thanks

Pat, We have a 2005 38' FDTS with a residential refer, very much like your 40'. We had an Onan I/C that failed several years ago. As an aside, when we first purchased the coach (new) we had problems with the Amanda refer, the Onan output is a modified sine wave and it caused the control panel in the refer to burn out. Ultimately WRV sent us an updated PC board for the refer and since then it has been fine. It was 2009 when the Onan failed and we installed a Xantrex I/C, and System Control Panel, since then we have not had any problem, btw we got rid of the LED level meter and installed a SeeLevel II gauge that monitors, batteries, fresh, grey, black and LP gas. Since then things have been fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480729455.881526.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	145845
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #22

DrDave;
Thanks for the info.
Did you put in the 2000 or 3000? And, what were the symptoms of the I/C failure? I thought these things either worked or they didn't but I seem to have "intermttent" problems.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swprdog View Post
DrDave;
Thanks for the info.
Did you put in the 2000 or 3000? And, what were the symptoms of the I/C failure? I thought these things either worked or they didn't but I seem to have "intermttent" problems.

Pat, I put in a 2K unit, I figured the original design was good (the original plugs that had power was good so I didn't need to upsize). When mine failed the unit quit charging the battery bank.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #24

Lots of things have changed since many of these early I/C swap-outs happened. Besides watt capacity, things like battery bank size, battery cables [2/0 vs 4/0], comm. cable compatibility, control panel compatibility, and perhaps most important--interface with Silver Leaf; drove many of the decisions. In these regards, the RS3000 had some advantages over the RS2000, but without a larger battery bank, the increased watt capacity of the RS3000 is hard to exploit.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #25

If I can, I am going to replace my battery temperature sensor first. Through a few tests I have determined it is shot.(there is no resistance at all in the lead). I am waiting on some info (snail mail) to insure I order the correct part number for my I/C 2HJBAA-4173c. The lead has a number on it but I think it is a WRV number. 0193-0530 and PTI 1321. The only info I can find does not specifically address my I/C. My Onan manual states that a bad battery temp sensor can cause a few issues and to replace it. It even has a very well done illustration, but no part number. Being the weekend, I can't call Onan to see what they say. If anyone has the Onan part number and a source for my specific I/C I would appreciate it.

swprdog
Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #26

After a little more research I discovered 0193-0530 is the Onan part number. A google search uncovered a place in FL that might have them(dieselparts?). I have to call Monday to find out. Anyone know any other sources on line?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #27

Admire your tenacity but you are working on the "Edsel" of all inverters--not only was the equipment short-live before Onan discontinued the model; it was problematic for owners from the beginning. I wish you well on your search of a solution.
PS--many inverters work without a temp sensor, wonder if you just disconnected it and turn down your charging rate a bit [if it has that feature], that any of your issues would go away.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #28

Old Scout;
I realize that I'm "putting lipstick on a pig" and this thing isn't going to last much longer but hands on is the best way to learn about things. As for just removing it, the manual says "The Inverter-Charger will work without the battery temperature sensor, but may cause increased battery gassing and/or take longer to charge the batteries". The "may" word is probably part of the sentence for the CYA factor.
Thanks again for the input
swprdog

Tags
inverter, scr