Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
If your Xantrex system is ever erratic then this information may help. While at the Newport rally I had Xantrex service out to update the firmware in my Xantrex Inverter due to erratic behavior. While doing the update the service man said that my system was missing the terminators that were necessary for proper operation of the xanbus network. He installed 3 terminators.

While redoing the fan/cooling system for the entertainment cabinets I saw that the xanbus network didn't look right to me. I downloaded the manual for the xanbus system. It can be downloaded here.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/924/docserve.asp

Our systems use 3 devices, the inverter/charger, the main control panel and the Automatic generator start panel. Each device has two ports which you can connect to. There are two type of networks that can be used, the daisy chain or the multi-drop backbone. The cables used for the network are CAT 5 cables. Both networks require the use of two terminators one at each end of the network. The daisy chain is as it sounds the cable starts at the first device connects to the second device which connects to the next until the end, with a terminator installed in the extra port on the device at each end. The drop-down backbone uses a 3-way network connector with the backbone being a cable that "daisy chains" from one 3-way network connector to the next until the end. The third port in the connector is used to connect to the device, with the terminators installed at the ends of the backbone not the devices. This requires one 3-way network connector for each device.

My system was installed with only two 3-way network connectors, used just as jumpers, with no terminators. The Xantrex service man just stuck terminators in all of the open ports he could see. Since I didn't have an extra 3-way connector I changed my system to a daisy chain network. It seems to be more stable now. You should find the 3-way connectors behind the panel with the Xantrex main control.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If your Xantrex system is ever erratic then this information may help. While at the Newport rally I had Xantrex service out to update the firmware in my Xantrex Inverter due to erratic behavior. While doing the update the service man said that my system was missing the terminators that were necessary for proper operation of the xanbus network. He installed 3 terminators.

While redoing the fan/cooling system for the entertainment cabinets I saw that the xanbus network didn't look right to me. I downloaded the manual for the xanbus system. It can be downloaded here.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/924/docserve.asp

Our systems use 3 devices, the inverter/charger, the main control panel and the Automatic generator start panel. Each device has two ports which you can connect to. There are two type of networks that can be used, the daisy chain or the multi-drop backbone. The cables used for the network are CAT 5 cables. Both networks require the use of two terminators one at each end of the network. The daisy chain is as it sounds the cable starts at the first device connects to the second device which connects to the next until the end, with a terminator installed in the extra port on the device at each end. The drop-down backbone uses a 3-way network connector with the backbone being a cable that "daisy chains" from one 3-way network connector to the next until the end. The third port in the connector is used to connect to the device, with the terminators installed at the ends of the backbone not the devices. This requires one 3-way network connector for each device.

My system was installed with only two 3-way network connectors, used just as jumpers, with no terminators. The Xantrex service man just stuck terminators in all of the open ports he could see. Since I didn't have an extra 3-way connector I changed my system to a daisy chain network. It seems to be more stable now. You should find the 3-way connectors behind the panel with the Xantrex main control.

Dale
Old 09-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #3

Mine came with the terminators installed in all of the open ports. After fixing the auto start side back in 05 it has worked flawlessly

Thanks for the heads up
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
After thinking about the proper way to install a backbone system I realized that the third 3-way connector should be by the inverter. I had let the Xantrex repair man confuse me with his comments and placement of terminators. This morning I got out with my flash light and mirror and found the "missing" connector above the inverter with a terminator installed. As it turns out the only thing missing was the terminator up front. I have now re-installed the system as it was, adding the missing terminator and removing the extra terminators installed by the Xantrex repair man.

Wayne,

Your system should only have 2 terminators, there should not be any in the open ports on each device.

Quoted from the Xanbus manual "CAUTION: Unpredictable device behavior
After connecting the Xanbus-enabled devices and terminating the network, do
not plug terminators or other cables into any remaining open network ports on
any Xanbus-enabled devices."

Dale