Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

ISC 350 oil capacity

My question is for any ALPINE ISC 350 owner. What is the correct engine oil capacity with filter ? I've read anywhere from 20-24 quarts.I did not perform my last oil change and the slobber tube expelled the overfill all over my toad and out the dipstick tube, what a mess.I've done a forum search but only found info for an ISL. I am looking for the correct Info from fellow ALPINE ISC 350 owners.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

Suspect a 350 owner will jump in shortly an give you the "correct" answer but as with the ISL, its seems most Cummins engines have their own "sweet spot" on the dip stick for how full they like to run. For example: my 03 ISL "likes" to be filled to about 1/2 of the check pattern on the ops range of the stick. Accordingly, I initally fill the engine with 24 qrts and then adjust to the mid-range on the stick--about 2 more qrts. I dont add until the level drops to the bottom of the ops range.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
My question is for any ALPINE ISC 350 owner. What is the correct engine oil capacity with filter ? I've read anywhere from 20-24 quarts.I did not perform my last oil change and the slobber tube expelled the overfill all over my toad and out the dipstick tube, what a mess.I've done a forum search but only found info for an ISL. I am looking for the correct Info from fellow ALPINE ISC 350 owners.

If you use a pad of some sort, go to your App Store and download the Cummins Quickserve app. Then enter your engine serial number. Go to parts and you will see a line for oilpan. There will be a listing for low pan capacity which is where you dipstick should be marked for "add". It will have a high capacity which corresponds to the full mark. Then you just fill your filter and your good to go.

This app will give you everything you could possibly want to know about your engine.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

24 quarts, but add slowly toward the end so you do not overfill. Fill to 1/4" below full on dipstick. Add a crankcase vent filter to stop slobber tube dumping oil on your car.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
tiredvet
For the "CORRECT oil capacity" of your particular Cummins engine simoly call Cummins Care, (1-800-343-7357), with your engine number, and ask.
(IMO, nobody knows YOUR Cummins engine better than Cummins).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Jim - In spite of what Algoma says, my manual calls for 20 quarts. When I change my oil I always put in 20 quarts with a new filter. The ISL calls for 24 quarts.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Jim - In spite of what Algoma says, my manual calls for 20 quarts. When I change my oil I always put in 20 quarts with a new filter. The ISL calls for 24 quarts.
Steve I pulled out my 2003 manual ( I hid it from myself) and found my answer,20 quarts. Thanks
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
My 2001, ISC 350 also takes 20 quarts (5 gals) including oil filter. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #9

If you have someone do your oil change tell them to put in about 17 quarts and then check the dipstick and add additional qts as needed to get the level where you want it. If you tell them it takes 20 qts that's what they will put in and then you will probably have it go out the tube and onto your car! I had this happen on my last oil change.

Geoff
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

OK--so what does the book say for the ISL? 12 years and 150k miles, and I still dont know what the book says. As mentioned above, I stop at 24 qrts and work my way up to the middle of the opts range on the stick--about 2 more qrts. No fuss; no muss.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
What I have seen on the cummins info for the ISL is 27 quarts. I also put in 24 quarts then check and add 1 more quart.That puts the level about center of the cross hatch area. I add more when it gets to the low oil mark but it is time to change oil by then.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Do not ASSUME that the dipstick (not a Cummins part) is accurate.

Instead, CALIBRATE THE ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK AT THE NEXT OIL CHANGE. It is free, just a few extra minutes:

From an article I wrote for the FMCA magazine several years ago:

CALIBRATING THE ENGINE OIL DIP STICK

We continue to see questions about oil "consumption" and oil on radiators and toads on the FMCA Forum and other RV websites. It seems to be universal across all brands of diesel engines.

THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE IS AN OVERFILLED CRANKCASE. CALIBRATING THE ENGINE OIL DIP STICK TO ENSURE THE CORRECT OIL LEVEL IN THE PAN "FIXES" OVER 90% OF THESE PROBLEMS.

If you "think" your engine has an oil consumption problem, you are seeing oil mist on your toad or you just want to verify that yours is correct; you need to verify that you are using the correct amount of oil. Note: the quantities listed INCLUDE the oil filter and is the total amount of oil you put in when changing oil and filter.

Now, CALIBRATE THE DIP STICK. Since the same engines/dip sticks are used in many different applications with different angles of installation, do not ASSUME that the dip stick is correctly marked. Calibration costs $0.

At the next oil change, drain oil, remove old filter (as usual). Then install the drain plug and new oil filter and add the engine's correct oil capacity LESS THE NUMBER OF QUARTS you want between the "ADD" and "FULL" marks (let's say 2 quarts). So for an engine with 20 quart capacity you would add 18 quarts. Run the engine a few minutes, shut off and wait until oil has descended into the pan (at least 30 minutes and an hour is safer). Pull the dip stick and use a file or dremel tool to mark the oil level "ADD". Add the remaining two quarts, let the oil settle in the pan, pull the dipstick and mark this the "FULL" mark.

In many/most cases, you will find that your engine "throws out" the access oil and then "consumption" settles down to next to nothing. Put in the correct amount and your "consumption" issues may go away.

This applies to all ages (including brand new) of motorhomes and boats with every brand of engine.

Also, when checking the oil level with the dipstick it is safest to do it in the morning after the oil has had all night to flow back to the pan.

Do not add oil until the level reaches the ADD mark.

Finally, make a sticker to affix near oil fill: OIL CAPACITY INCLUDING FILTER: xx QUARTS.
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #13

There is a part number on the bottom of the oil pan that Cummins can then tell you what your capacity is. They did this for me years ago.

Greg
'99 Alpine Coach
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote