Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #1

Lost power and lot of black smoke and bucking, form Denver to MPLS. went into Cummins Coach Care in White Bear MN. codes showed both high and low fuel problems. There is a 2 or 3 micron secondary fuel filter buried up behind the starter. Took almost 5 hours to replace. My coach just turned 30,000 miles. filter had never been changed, understand why with job to get it out. Tech didn't even know it was there. anyway $500 later it great runs now. Hope this helps someone. Larry
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #2

Lost power and lot of black smoke and bucking, form Denver to MPLS. went into Cummins Coach Care in White Bear MN. codes showed both high and low fuel problems. There is a 2 or 3 micron secondary fuel filter buried up behind the starter. Took almost 5 hours to replace. My coach just turned 30,000 miles. filter had never been changed, understand why with job to get it out. Tech didn't even know it was there. anyway $500 later it great runs now. Hope this helps someone. Larry
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #3

I had both fuel filters replaced at 30,000 miles as routine maintenance. The secondary filter was a challange for the tech. I assume that this filter is supplied with the engine package and in a truck installation service is not a problem. If it could be relocated on the panel next to the fuel/water separator it would be much more serviceable.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #4

Holy cow. I always thought it was a single filter setup.

Looks like a 30-45 minute job to change on mine, if you do it from above (lift the bed). But for sure it is a much easier job if you move the filter by adding a second next to or in the vicinity of the primary and replacing the existing one either with an empty can or with a remote-mount kit.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #5

Filters need to be changed yearly or at time of oil change either yearly or 15,000 miles. Cummins calls the filter on engine primary and other secondary. However, as this leads to confusion they refer them to suction and pressure filters. Here is info

ISL

CM2150 (EPA'07) Cummins Filtration PN Cummins PN
- Primary Filter (pressure side) FF 5636 4940647
- Secondary (suction side) FS 1065* 4934879*

Common Rail Fuel System
(pre-EPA'07)
- Primary Filter (pressure side) FF 5488 (2 micron) 3959612
- Secondary (suction side) FS 1003* (10 micron) 3406889 ((upgrade is FS19596 (7 micron) 3954891))

CAPS Fuel System FS 1022* 3800394 used with 3914857S uses service part 3953517S

*Denotes to transfer water sensor/drain to new filter
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My early 04 coach has an 03 build ISL in it - only one filter. That's on a Freightliner chassis - Spartan is likley different.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just changed both of the fuel filters on my 05 (see earlier post) The primary is much easier to replace by raising the bed rather than from the bottom of the coach and it is NOT a $500.00 job. I did it in about 30 minutes. Someone is making a whole lot of money on a relatively simple procedure.
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
My early 04 coach has an 03 build ISL in it - only one filter. That's on a Freightliner chassis - Spartan is likley different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is info from Cummins not Spartan. You probably have the CAPS fuel system - see chart -only one filter.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #9

The bed on the '05 38' and possible 40' with 2 bedroom slides does not raise up so all engine access is from the bottom.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #10

On the 40FDQS there is a removable hatch just below the closet. It is L shaped and held in with 4 screws,
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #11

My Cummins ISL on a 2005 Dutch Star / Spartan has both fuel filters mounted under the battery compartment. The other engine / chassis filters are neatly plumped there too. I change both of my filters annually and it is a simple ten minute job.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You probably have the CAPS fuel system - see chart -only one filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct - the CAPS system with the FS1022 filter/separator.

A Cummins factory rep told me that Freightliner requested and received permission from Cummins to utilize this one fuel filter system. Other chassis manufacturers may have chosen other Cummins approved filtering methods.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You probably have the CAPS fuel system - see chart -only one filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct - the CAPS system with the FS1022 filter/separator.

A Cummins factory rep told me that Freightliner requested and received permission from Cummins to utilize this one fuel filter system. Other chassis manufacturers may have chosen other Cummins approved filtering methods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------------------------------------
I can't speak to what Freightliner may have done but the one filter configuration was released for CAPS system for any user.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #14

WOW! $500 to change one filter. Sounds like you paid for someones inexperience. I would be talking to Coach Care about a credit on the bill.