Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Just Got My License!!!!!

Hey, I live in SC and a special Class F drivers license is required to operate an Rv that weighs in excess of 26,000 lbs. I just passed the test and got my license! The Alpine performed perfect and all maneuvers were performed easily. I bought the Alpine in January 2014 and have been doing some tweaks and mods for my taste so I have not been doing any traveling but now I am ready to go!!!

I do have a question. While moving the coach and disconnecting the shore power I noticed when the shore power was disconnected I could here a relay energizing and de-energizing. The relay is located in the battery compartment. Is this normal? Once I plugged the shore power back in the relay action stopped.The coach is equipped with a power inverter but I have it disabled. Is the relay for the inverter?

Thanks
Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Congrats on getting your license. I have a question, why is your inverter/charger disabled? How are you charging your house batteries when on shore power? I think the relay you are hearing might be the Trombetta Bear in the battery compartment. What are your house batteries showing for a charge? If they are close to 13v I think the Trombetta will start clicking. I hope E Mike shows up and posts a reply.

Which coach do you have? Is it a pre or post Vansco coach? Do you have a solar panel?
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #3

Here are the details

I have a 2008 Alpine 34FDDS. It does have a solar panel. The unit is a xantrex RS 2000 inverter/charger.The inverter is disabled by a switch on the unit. When the inverter is disabled it will not power the 110v circuits when shore power is removed. The charger will still charge the batteries and supply 110v power when connected to shore power. The batteries are fully charged.

The relay is cycling when the shore power is removed and stops when the power is restored.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Congrats on getting your license. I have a question, why is your inverter/charger disabled? How are you charging your house batteries when on shore power? I think the relay you are hearing might be the Trombetta Bear in the battery compartment. What are your house batteries showing for a charge? If they are close to 13v I think the Trombetta will start clicking. I hope E Mike shows up and posts a reply.

Which coach do you have? Is it a pre or post Vansco coach? Do you have a solar panel?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The solenoid you hear clicking is for combining the two battery banks together so that they both stay charged. It comes on when the charger is on and you are plugged into shore power or the generator is running and the voltage reaches 13 volts. It also comes on when the engine is running and the alternator is supplying more than 13 volts. When you unplug from shore power and the engine or generator is not running the voltage will drop slowly. When the voltage of the coach batteries gets below 13 volts the solenoid clicks off . This removes the load from the chassis batteries and the coach batteries goes up to 13 volts and the solenoid clicks back on. This continues until the voltage of the coach batteries stabilizes below 13 volts. Usually only a few minutes. Search for charging solenoid you will find lots of discussion.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Just a note: always make sure the breaker at the pedestal is OFF before plugging and unplugging.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

Thanks!!

Thanks and that makes sense! I have not noticed in the past and if it depends on the voltage I wouldn't always have the condition.

Thanks Again
Still Learning!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMunsil View Post
The solenoid you hear clicking is for combining the two battery banks together so that they both stay charged. It comes on when the charger is on and you are plugged into shore power or the generator is running and the voltage reaches 13 volts. It also comes on when the engine is running and the alternator is supplying more than 13 volts. When you unplug from shore power and the engine or generator is not running the voltage will drop slowly. When the voltage of the coach batteries gets below 13 volts the solenoid clicks off . This removes the load from the chassis batteries and the coach batteries goes up to 13 volts and the solenoid clicks back on. This continues until the voltage of the coach batteries stabilizes below 13 volts. Usually only a few minutes. Search for charging solenoid you will find lots of discussion.