Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hello all,

On my coach, we have a compartment just forward of the rear wheel-driver side where all my fresh water fill, outside shower, dump valves controls, etc are located, as well as shore power cable. These items have either a little sliding door (sewer hose to go out when hooked up-dumping) or two 4" threaded holes with plastic screw in covers to keep them sealed when not in use.

Now that you're completely lost, I will continue.

When hooked up (fresh water, power, and sewer for tank-gray water draining) I have not found a good solution to keep the unwanted bugs, mice, or other varmints out. To date we have not had any of those things get in, but I am aware of its coming. I would be interested in anyone's solutions to keep the critters out and be able to use those holes for the intended purpose while hooked up. Some ideas I have entertained have been some semi-rigid foam plugs, which allow the cable, hose, wire, but make the fit tight and just allow that device down the center of the plug.

Have not made anything up, because this bridge must have been crossed before, and don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Come one, come all, let have a discussion on this one.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello all,

On my coach, we have a compartment just forward of the rear wheel-driver side where all my fresh water fill, outside shower, dump valves controls, etc are located, as well as shore power cable. These items have either a little sliding door (sewer hose to go out when hooked up-dumping) or two 4" threaded holes with plastic screw in covers to keep them sealed when not in use.

Now that you're completely lost, I will continue.

When hooked up (fresh water, power, and sewer for tank-gray water draining) I have not found a good solution to keep the unwanted bugs, mice, or other varmints out. To date we have not had any of those things get in, but I am aware of its coming. I would be interested in anyone's solutions to keep the critters out and be able to use those holes for the intended purpose while hooked up. Some ideas I have entertained have been some semi-rigid foam plugs, which allow the cable, hose, wire, but make the fit tight and just allow that device down the center of the plug.

Have not made anything up, because this bridge must have been crossed before, and don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Come one, come all, let have a discussion on this one.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Renipladlo:

For my $0.02 What I have used on my 2001 for the Shore Power opening is a Fun Noodle which is used kids and adults in swimming pools. I found a large 4"¯ diameter Fun Noodle cut a piece about 4"¯ long and cut it length wise and wrap it around the power cable and slide into the opening. So far no critters. I have also been told that steel wool or a plastic wrap around the hoses in into the openings will also work.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

For the round shore power port I cut a hole the diameter of the power cord in an approximately 6" square piece of floor vinyl. I then cut from the hole to the outside of the vinyl so the vinyl can be spread and slipped over the power cord. I then have a horse shoe shaped piece of 1/2" plywood also about 6" square that lays on top of the vinyl keeping it firmly seated against the floor. I put the slick shiny side of the vinyl down and have never had a problem. For the water hose and cable connections I wet a paper towel and wrap it around the hose or cable inside the compartment. While wet it makes a tight seal and stays in place even after it dries...I don't install the drain hose until I am ready to dump, too unsightly, can't seal around it and ants tend to like to crawl up it.. .Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Check out the website RVCRITTERGUARD.com We purchased their products and are pleased.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

In two years and about 60% full timing we have never had a critter enter through the holes around any of the hoses or cables. We don't plug them, and have been in locations all over the U.S., including winters heavily oriented toward Palm Springs and summers in the NW mountains, where we see mice around occasionally, but don't see them in the coach.

I think we probably have enough regular leaks in all our systems that we're constantly repairing that the critters stay away. I don't think they like to get wet - whether from water, waste water, hydraulic fluid, radiator coolant, or diesel.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #7

OldForester, Well that is the first time I have read an advantage to having to make repairs.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #8

I use a large sponge wrapped around the power cord and stuffed into the opening. Seems to have worked so far.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #9

Ted III,

I was so tired of having so many leaks over the lifetime of the coach I decided to be a little facetious. Fortunately, only the hydraulic leaks have been repeats, and they have held firm for year. We do like the coach and will get our current leak fixed this week. It's one of those things that you laugh about when you think about how many issues you've had.

Rick's comment on a sponge looks like a good idea ; I know from my home that a steel wool pad really works; it just rusts when it gets near water.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #10

I started to toss out an old pillow one day and realized the large piece of foam might be good for something. I cut it in sizes to fit the various openings I wanted to fill and then cut holes for the hoses, etc to fit. It's soft and pliable enough that I can stuff it around the pipes and such to make a nice tight fit. I also put a dryer sheet in all outside bins and inside the area you are talking about. A friend told me that mice and ants don't like dryer sheets. We live in a heavily populated mice area where they love to find refuge from the cold and I've never had a problem with critters.

2016 Newmar Ventana
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

Using the free outlet by the Vacum cleaner I run an extension cord over to the two areas for utility openings. Then two electronic repelling units are plugged in, I have not had anyproblems even when Boondocking.
skyguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Those big, fat "hydro sponges" seem to work best. They don't deteriorate with time and are bulky enough to fill the bigger holes while wrapping around the cord/hose, etc. I don't even make cuts in them.

They also work to clean the cables/hoses when reeling them in. Double duty.

And nary a critter.