Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 AM   #15

htg3, Protectall is a great product for a lot of things. I have been using it for sometime. I am going to try it on a sheet of lucite and then see if water beads on it or it just sheets off.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #16

It seems logical that Rainex should sheet water but Kingdome said specifically, don't use it but did not say why. Has anyone used it anyway, and got any positive or negative results?
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #17

We previously had a KVH and if a couple of drops of rain hit it the signal would be lost. As we speak I am sitting in a "toad strangler" rain storm and I am watching sat tv with a perfect signal. This is even better than my Data Storm which wouldn't let me connect for several hours this morning. So, from our experience we are happy as clams with our Kingdome.

Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #18

Lyle & Cath, I think clams are blind but not certain of that. In either case did you do anything to your Kingdome other than keep it clean? If I were in a "Toad Strangler" rain storm my Kingdome probably would have washed right off the roof. Seriously, since your coach is quite new did you do anything to the Kingdome. I know we went probably a year before we ever encountered a problem. I wonder if Kingdome treats them with something when they are new?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #19

We have done nothing but keep it clean. Ted you could be right about the age thing. Our coach will be 1 year old the 15th of November. So maybe mine just hasn't gotten to the age of cruddiness yet. BTW, I use Protectall for everything including dry washing the coach, cleaning the shower glass and I have used it on windows to help the bugs who have donated their guts to splat on my windshield come off more easily. We also use Mary Moppins for the same reasons. They both make a very slick service.

Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #20

Lyle & Cath, I am not familiar with Mary Moppins but Protectall is something we truly use on everything with never anything but a great result. It is a heck of a product.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

On my 2004 Allegro Bus the Kingdome was painted by Tiffin. I used RainX on it a few times and haven't seen any ill effects. I haven't crawled up on the 2007 Bus yet to see what kind of dome it has. They do have molded black domes so you don't have to paint them. Ideally that's what's up there. I do know that you need a lead-free non-metallic paint to allow the signal through. I'm not sure but the stuff on my 2004 dome looked like black metallic polyurethane, just like the rest of the coach.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the toad washings and clam eyes.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
My experiance with Rain X is that it will cause some plastics like lexan to spider web. It may have the same affect on the plastic dome cover, making it very brittle. What is the best Sate in motion system ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
We picked up a new '07 34 FDDS unit a couple of weeks ago, and the Kingdome signal strength is a continuing concern. Initially we had about 45 in the front (Hi Def), and about 65 in back (standard) TVs. They did the "dome wipe" and it improved slightly -- to low 50s front and near 70 in the back. Once home we tried the external dish, and it improved to around mid 60s front, and mid 80s back. Clearly the Hi Def receiver is consistently getting around 20 points less. My sense is that this may inherently be a problem w/the domed models. Our last coach had the motosat autofind dish, and it was always in the mid 80s and above. We may have to consider adding an LNB to the DataStorm dish if we really want to solve the problem. The *only* reason for considering a dome in my view is for in-motion viewing. For most of us I'd think it's not that important -- and surely not worth the degraded signal the domes seem to provide. It would be nice if WRV would provide a non-dome option for its new coaches. That's probably the only way this problem can be addressed.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #24

Mark & Leann, I am certainly interested in your 2007 model as the unit you have know appears to be magnificent. Good luck with your new unit and please keep us posted.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #25

A product that is used in dishwashers, such as Jet Dry, is a wetting agent that breaks the surface tension of the water to allow the water to flow smoothly and not bead up. That's how it stops spotting of the glasses in the dishwasher. Maybe it would work on the dome at considerable less cost.
Bill Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, you would have to be on the roof with a spray bottle of Jet Dry spraying the whole time it is raining. Jet Dry does not stay on the surface for long

Jerry Davis
05-06 36'FDDS
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote