Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #15

I was just wondering how those of you who have made the sink drain repair and mentioned working around/under the trash can storage area have dealt with the HydroHot heat exchanger located under the drawers in the cabinet? Then, I suppose it might be possible that not all models have the HydroHot unit in this same location, ours being a 36 FDTS. Or perhaps the location isn't an issue, other than making it more difficult to get at the failed plumbing behind the heat exchanger. I haven't had the failure, yet, but dread the thought of having to also pull the unit to get at the plumbing.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 04:04 AM   #16

Hey Birddog, good to hear from you. Mine has the the Hydrohot exchanger mounted in that location and I was able to re plumb the drain without removing or disconnecting the unit. I had to do some cutting of the wood around the unit to get the 1.5" drain line to fit right below the unit. It's a pita work but can be done.
Although you have not had a problem I would suggest that you take a look at the installation. It could cause an expensive problem if it goes on and you don't catch it quickly. Mine was leaking down on top of the Hydra Hot unit and the inverter/charger in the basement. YIKES!!!! I was lucky and no damage was done to them. After seeing that I made some drip shields to cover the electronics from leaks above. Any leaks from the plumbing above could leak right down on them.

Good Luck

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
I was just wondering how those of you who have made the sink drain repair and mentioned working around/under the trash can storage area have dealt with the HydroHot heat exchanger located under the drawers in the cabinet? Then, I suppose it might be possible that not all models have the HydroHot unit in this same location, ours being a 36 FDTS. Or perhaps the location isn't an issue, other than making it more difficult to get at the failed plumbing behind the heat exchanger. I haven't had the failure, yet, but dread the thought of having to also pull the unit to get at the plumbing.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #17

Paul, thanks for the information and suggestions, I'll definitely be looking into that area to see if any problems are developing. It's really good to know that the heat exchanger won't have to be pulled.
Besides an inspection my "To Do" list includes gathering all of the materials to do the repair while on the road. As we all know, these nasty problems really like to occur at the most inopportune time. I don't want to disturb the drain line if it's still okay; but a good inspection right now might just help in finalizing a game plan for the future.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #18

Useful Link shows earlier thread on this fix w/some photos

To do a proper search these days (not sure why the standard search feature just above & to the right of the Alpine thread stack doesn't work properly anymore, but we get what we get), try the Google search at top of page, the actual text I used looked this:
site:irv2.com/forums/f104 kitchen sink drain leak
Note the space between f104 and kitchen. You can do this direct from google w/out signing into iRV2 I believe. This text string limits google to this forum and searches all of the forum back to the beginning. I think the basic search feature stops a year or 2 back just to make life fun.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #19

For me personally this is a very helpful reply. Thanks EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
To do a proper search these days (not sure why the standard search feature just above & to the right of the Alpine thread stack doesn't work properly anymore, but we get what we get), try the Google search at top of page, the actual text I used looked this:
site:irv2.com/forums/f104 kitchen sink drain leak
Old 03-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

Drain fix

Once I had the garbage can floor removed, it was only about 10 mins and a few dollars worth of parts to fix. Mine already had the "spa hose" (flexible PVC). Why they used a threaded fitting, l'll never know - doesn't like the flexing. The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to glue PVC to ABS. I used a flex connector to tie the ABS to the PVC
PitMan51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak