Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #1

Kitchen sink hose became disconnected

I need to replace the drain hose from kitchen sink. If you have done this what type of hose did you get and where did you get it?
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #2

I did ours ten years ago or so (when we still owned the Alpine). Don’t remember all the details, but I believe it was PVC hose and I think I found it at a pool supply shop. Might check Lowes/ HD/ Ace also as I think I’ve spotted the same hose there.

Our oldest has the coach now and it’s still holding. I did get into the habit of checking every time I deployed the slide since the cleanup when it comes off is a pain if you don’t catch it right away - it never came loose again, but I still checked.

Never was a fan of kitchen slides because of that...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Not sure what your ‘08 kitchen configuration is like but there’s how I fixed my ‘03. I removed the shelf inside the sink cabinet to gain access but it’s tight. I cut the flexible PVC hose in about the middle. Unscrewed the PVC adapter and short portion of hose from the stand pipe. Screwed in a new PVC adapter into the stand pipe. Glued short section of flexible PVC hose into PVC adapter (hose needs to be long enough to meet with hose where you cut it. I used a rubber 1 1/2” coupling to attach the 2 hose ends. The coupling is about 4” long or so with hose clamps on both ends. Be sure to tighten the hose clamps as tight as possible. Test the integrity of the coupling installation by moving the slide in and out. Retighten if necessary and then test for leaks. I check mine every time we park in a campground because it came loose a couple of times. Just make sure the flex hose end are fully inserted into the coupling and tighten with a ratchet wrench.

The nice thing about this method is that it can be fixed again the same way if the flex PVC splits.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #4

Just curious if you guys that are having the problem or have fixed it in the past would recommend addressing it before there's an issue. I haven't had the drain problem yet and I'm thinking it might be something to address before there is a problem.

I'm not exactly sure what it is that breaks but I'm thinking it might be easier to go in and cut the existing drain hose and put in a section of flexible pool hose to relieve any stress. Might be easier to replace hose than to replace a broken fitting. I've never really taken a good hard look at the drain assembly and stress areas.

Like I said I don't really know what I'm talking about here just making some guesses.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

Search this forum for thread titled, Galley Sink Drain Leak. EngineerMike offers some solid and entertaining solutions.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, I’m pretty sure that the flex PVC splits open close to where it’s attached to the stand pipe. Mine had a rubber “boot” that covers and protects the 1 1/2” adapter and a small portion of the hose. It employs a hose strap on both end. My split occurred close to the end of that boot which is where the hose bends & straightens the most. In fact, when I fixed mine I eliminated the boot and shortened the hose so that the “bend” isn’t as sharp as it was. Hey, if it lasts as long as the original (about 14 years) I’ll be happy.

Clearly, you could be proactive and “fix” it before it breaks. My suggestion is to take a look at your specific configuration and plan your “fix”. Purchase the parts you think you’ll need and carry them with you for that magical day when it breaks. I carry the necessary parts now that I know what it takes. Don’t forget PVC glue or whatever adhesives you’ll need.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
When mine broke in 2009, I used two Fernco's (rubber boots) to split the bending forces between the two of them. Specifically, I used one Fernco from the standpipe T to a new 6" piece of PVC, and the other Fernco from the PVC to the existing "flexible" white hose.

That fix has held for 12 years - so far. I carry two Fernco's in case it every breaks again.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

I used a 1.5" thread x glue PVC fitting at the ABS Y behind the slide, cut out about 1/2 of the 1.5"(i.d.) spa tubing, & replaced w/1.5"(i.d.) pool vacuum hose (very flexible, very available: Lowes, H.D.), and glued the vac hose into the glue fitting w/ 3M 5200 and let set, then screwed into the ABS (after wrastling the old fitting out via brute force & heavy duty, industrial strength profanity) and coupled the opposite end to the remaining spa tubing w/a 1.5"(i.d.) "hubless" coupling from Lowes

Leave the black bell fitting out if you do the fix like this, it serves no purpose other than making it harder to get your hands in there.

Tags
disconnect, hose, sink