Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #1

Looking for some help. I have a 2005 Avalanch
400 with a Kwikee electic step. Problem; the steps will not extend or retrack. The door button nor the manual switch is not working. its currently in the retrack position. Thats the
the good thing. I have called Kwikee step, but
they were not very helpful. checked all the known fuses, ok there. Is there anything else
I could try that would solve the problem or is there a hidden fuse somewhere else. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Jack & Mary

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #2

Looking for some help. I have a 2005 Avalanch
400 with a Kwikee electic step. Problem; the steps will not extend or retrack. The door button nor the manual switch is not working. its currently in the retrack position. Thats the
the good thing. I have called Kwikee step, but
they were not very helpful. checked all the known fuses, ok there. Is there anything else
I could try that would solve the problem or is there a hidden fuse somewhere else. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Jack & Mary

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #3

Sorry about the spelling it should read Electric
steps Jack

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 06-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #4

Jack we have had the same problem with our
Apex. The solution, at least for us is to cut all power to the coach. Disable the inverter, cut house batteries, and no shore power.
Wait a couple of minutes and then turn everything back on. Your steps should reset automatically.
Hopes this works for you guys,
Good luck,
Lyle and Cathy,
Apex1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #5

Hope the reset procedure mentioned above cures the problem. If it doesnt, the symptoms sound a bit like our experience with our 2003--while under way, the step repeatedly went in/out (often during wet weather) until finally the step motor went out. Installed a new step under extended warranty only to have the step again start going in/out. I finally went to Camping World and purchased a new door switch ($10)-- problem solved.....The door switch is a really poor/cheap design..Given the number of step issues I see, suspect WRV installers are over tightening the wires/set screws thus twisting off the contacts inside the door switch...Good luck.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #6

We only had to disconnect chassis power momentarily to get the step "reset" and working again.

Audrey
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #7

Thanks Lyle & Audrey for your suggestions. I tried several verations of turning off power to
attempt to reset step modular. The one that worked was to turn off/on the house batteries. I then turn the manual/light switch on. The steps worked. Thanks for the help it turned out to be a varation of steps Lyle suggested.
Great fix! Great save. I had several RV places
wanting to replace the motor etc.
Great roads and safe travel

Jack & Mary

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have called Kwikee step, but
they were not very helpful. checked all the known fuses, ok there. Jack & Mary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When we asked WRV about the location for the fuse for the step, they explained that there wasn't a fuse. Instead the step was controlled (or electronically "fused") by one of the big power switching modules in the motorhome. In our Limited that's the big box with the LEDs in the battery compartment. Cutting power momentarily reset this box, and that is how the step got reset.

Hope this helps folks understand a little better what is going on.

Glad you got your step working. I'm embarrassed to say we went a couple of weeks traveling with the major inconvenience of our step not working because we knew we weren't in a position to go to a dealer or receive a part at the time. I felt pretty darn foolish when we finally called WRV about it and all we had to do was turn off and on chassis power.

Audrey