Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Leaking Living Rm Slide

Are there any suggestions for repair services in Sou Ca for a very bad leak.? Slide-out topper appears to be in decent shape, but leak is warping wood trim over couch.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
This won't help you on the repair but may help with future problems. Our slide has always leaked no matter how many times we had it looked at/repaired by WRV and repair shops.

Whenever we are in a rain storm we simply tip the coach to insure that any water that gets under the topper runs away from the coach. Have not had water in the coach for 3 years now since performing this procedure.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

These slides can be made not to leak. Mine has not leaked a drop since August of 2006. I finally convinced the factory techs what was wrong. The biggest issue I have seen is that the slide is not square to the cut out. This cause 2 problems. The primary seal which is a rubber seal on the extrusion of the sidewall and an aluminum seal depressor. The seal depressor on mine would not contact the rubber seal for about 5 feet. The Secondary seal the ‘wiper Seal” did not touch the slide top in several places common to the same 5 foot area. Visual inspection indicated the wiper seal was in contact with the slide. Closer inspection revealed it wasn’t. l could easily insert and slide a piece of paper along the 5 foot area. Anytime it rained with a wind from the back of the coach the slide would leak in that 5 foot area. Rain was blowing under the slide topper and past the wiper seal.

The fix the factory did on mine was to add a wider section of wiper seal for the last 6 feet. This has fixed the leak completely. We full time and have been through some hellacious rain storms and no leaks. Prior to August 2006 I had the upper kitchen cabinets replaced twice due to water damage. I had always planned on fixing the primary seal by adding a wider seal and extending the seal depressor. It has proven to not be necessary. We no longer have to pull our slides in or tilt the coach in a rain storm.

The best way to analyze your problem is to remove the crown molding around the slide so you can assess the effectiveness of the primary seal. To add wiper seal the slide topper would need to be removed and laid on the roof.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

I don't think it has anything to do with the seals. The top of the drivers side front slide was never sealed where it's joined together on the top. You can get to the edges by reaching under the topper as far as you can, but to do it right the topper has to be off and then seal the top of the slide all the way along. If you do that, no more leak.

Kent

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

I am sure it varies from coach to coach. My slide top had 4 inch Eternabond applied to the seams in the 1st month I owned it. It continued to leak until the additional wiper seal was added.

The lack of seal was the issue on my bedroom slide and Eeternabond fixed that one.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #6

Water leak damage

Sorry to see your leaking issue. It seems the Mfg's. are not interested in quality or durability! I had major structural failure to my dinette slids floor. I just got it back in with a new floor. Mine was a poor seal design along the top edge of the exterior trim. Mgf says no, my fault for not maintaining this small edge bead of sealant. When I took off the exterior trim there was no sealant on the verticle edge, only along the horizontal edge that was screwed to the floor bottom. No where for the water to go but into the wood floor. This much damage in 1-1/2 years of ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01127.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	6380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01125.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	6381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01112a.JPG