Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

LED Tailight Conversion Q

I'm converting my tailights to LED on my 2000 Alpine.

I know I need to use a converter to go from 4 wire - amber turn, red tail/brake, ground - to 3 wire - red turn/tail/brake, ground.

My question is: can I install two converters, one on each side, without causing any problems?

I would simply not use the green/yellow lead on the respective side.

The reasoning behind this is a) I have two converters already, and b) I wouldn't need to dig into the loom on the driver's side to locate the RH turn signal lead.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

Don't know about using two separate converters as each hi-intensity filament [in each bulb] on the toad has to double as both a brake and a signal light. This means each converter would have to be wired to each bulb????? Wire loom is not a big issue as all needed wires are located together in a single loom that terminates near the license plate area?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Mark-

Why not replace the bulbs in the current fixtures with LEDs and eliminate any rewiring?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mark-

Why not replace the bulbs in the current fixtures with LEDs and eliminate any rewiring?

Have you found DOT approved LED bulbs?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mark-

Well, the primary reason is I already have the LED fixtures...

Secondly, I prefer the updated look of the new fixtures.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my original post (that happens when I post from my Ipad vs. a real keyboard... )

This has nothing to do with toad wiring; I'm working on the coach tail lights only. The coach has a loom running down the driver's side (I assume as it comes to the LH corner of the coach) with the wiring for stop/tail/left & right turn signals, etc.

The wiring 'splits' (again, I assume as I didn't unravel the loom) to send stop/tail/LH to the LH assembly and stop/tail/RH to the RH assembly.

The converters would be located at the tail light assembly location and tied into the wiring AFTER the split.

On the LH side, I would use the stop/tail/LH (yellow) conductors into the converter with the combined tail/brake & signal conductors (ground is assumed...) coming out. I wouldn't provide input to the green (RH) conductor on the converter (nor utilize the 'green' output) on the LH side. Vice versa for the RH side.

The RH side would have the same configuration but using the green signal conductor.

Hence, two converters in the system. I don't forsee any problems, but wanted a few 'second' opinions before I started cutting wires...

Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #6

A number of turn signal switches produce a pair each of turn and stop/turn signals. If yours is wired this way, then it is possible the turn/stop signals are there for you to use.

Do you have wiring diagrams that show how the turn signal switch is wired?

An alternative would be to tie the new LED assembly wiring to the wires used for the trailer hitch signals, as (in standard form) these are turn/stop signals.

After your work, if you find the turn signal lights flashing at a high rate you'll need to replace the coach turn signal flasher with one that is designed for LED use.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #7

Did you solve this? Sounds like an upgrade I'd be into
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
Did you solve this? Sounds like an upgrade I'd be into
I'll probably finish up this weekend. My connectors and light sockets were very brittle and the tabs broke, so i ordered new sockets and connectors. Just got the last pieces this week.

I never received a definitive answer to my question, so I'm just going to try it. I've mounted the converters to the coach behind the tail light assembly and need to splice in the wiring and put it back together.

I'm also replacing all the running/clearance lights with LED units and I did the 'angel eye' Xenon headlights last year. All for someone who doesn't like to drive at night anymore!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Have you found DOT approved LED bulbs?
To be correct, the DOT approves nothing. The DOT sets standards and the manufacturer is supposed to self-certify they meet the standards.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
I'll probably finish up this weekend. My connectors and light sockets were very brittle and the tabs broke, so i ordered new sockets and connectors. Just got the last pieces this week.

I never received a definitive answer to my question, so I'm just going to try it. I've mounted the converters to the coach behind the tail light assembly and need to splice in the wiring and put it back together.

I'm also replacing all the running/clearance lights with LED units and I did the 'angel eye' Xenon headlights last year. All for someone who doesn't like to drive at night anymore!

lol I've got the angel eyes and led bulbs at home waiting to be installed. Looks like I'm going to have to sand the fiberglass down some to get them in. They were really tight on my 99 Coach
I've already converted all the interior bulbs to leds. Are you going to do the docking and large reverse lights as well. Can you post the link to the taillights you're using? I saw some on eBay for a little over 200.00 all red.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
lol I've got the angel eyes and led bulbs at home waiting to be installed. Looks like I'm going to have to sand the fiberglass down some to get them in. They were really tight on my 99 Coach
I've already converted all the interior bulbs to leds. Are you going to do the docking and large reverse lights as well. Can you post the link to the taillights you're using? I saw some on eBay for a little over 200.00 all red.

If you are going led why are you replacing sockets. I would have thought if anything you would be cutting the sockets and wiring into the New taillights ?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
I'm converting my tailights to LED on my 2000 Alpine.

I know I need to use a converter to go from 4 wire - amber turn, red tail/brake, ground - to 3 wire - red turn/tail/brake, ground.

My question is: can I install two converters, one on each side, without causing any problems?

I would simply not use the green/yellow lead on the respective side.

The reasoning behind this is a) I have two converters already, and b) I wouldn't need to dig into the loom on the driver's side to locate the RH turn signal lead.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I wonder if installing diodes on the brake light wires would prevent the turn signal from making the opposite side flash when you tie brake and signal togeather
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #13

So after thinking about it I believe I am going to abandon the factory harness for the daylight at just make my own harness coming off the trailer light converter
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

[QUOTE=Kennzz05;3571691]So after thinking about it I believe I am going to abandon the factory harness for the taillights and just make my own harness coming off the trailer light converter hopefully that will work

Tags
led, light