Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Gene, at the risk of not knowing which HWH system you have on your coach (mine is 610), the "clunk" sounds like one of the HWH relays is operating with the temporary shorting lead that is otherwise not operating. The 610 system should have a Master relay & a Pump Relay strapped to the pump motor. They operate in series meaning the Master relay must operate to pass power to the Pump relay which energizes the pump motor.

I use a voltmeter with 12' long clip leads (cheap & easy to find) to test the relays while trying to operate the jacks or room slide (or any slide). I prop the voltmeter up in the stairwell to watch while operating the HWH panel.

I start at the pump motor to determine if it's getting power but not operating. If it is getting power, and the voltage level is adequate, then the pump motor may be bad. Sometimes rapping the motor with a hammer will temporarily start it. You can use the generator or plug-in shore power and try your HWH system when the Inverter/Charge is in "Bulk" charge mode (14.5V or so).

If it's not getting power then follow the large red cable to the Pump relay. If the other large red cable on the Pump relay is not getting power then follow it to the Master relay. If the other large red cable on the Master relay is not getting power then check your front shut-off switch and batteries. NOTE: Low house battery voltage can also cause problems.

If you're getting power on one of the large red cables of either the Pump relay or the Master relay then that relay is probably not operating. The relay may be bad, or the control leads may not be working, or the voltage is too low.

If you find that the control leads on either relay are not working, then it's time to check the HWH control box. Of course, all of this assumes that the park brake is ON, the key is in the Accessory position, the chassis & house shut-off switches are ON, and the battery voltages are adequate.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 AM   #16

Bob,
I believe my system is a 610 only because that is the manual that I got with the coach.

Thanks for the trouble shooting tips.
I'll look into it further when I get back home from a short work related trip without the coach.

Hoping the solution will be as simple as cleaning connections or replacing a relay.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
I'm not trying to jump in take you on another trail. When I first purchased my Alpine last year at this time, I was having trouble with my slide out and the low Batt light was on. There was on mine a automatic reset 15amp fuse breaker down at the pump. It was bad and was causing me a night mare. On this one the pump would run but would not open solenoid valve. Up on the HWH panel it showed low Batt . I think there's several of them there. That low Batt light is saying low voltage there at the HWH pump and relays. Not on the Coach. Your problem is right there,if you go to the wiring diagram you will see what could make the Batt. light come on. I will say you need a new automatic reset or something is shorting that reset out, Abad coil on solenoid or relay. But the problem is that compartment. You said you checked the fuse feeding the HWH so my guess its all right there.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FD 350 Cummins ISC
2007 Jeep Wrangler
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Before you get too far into this lets review some fundamentals. The HWH pump is a Donald Trump style "huge" current draw, while it will operate on battery power you will draw down your battery bank really fast. You should be on shore power or have your generator running whenever you run the system. Second, is your fluid tank full? If the sound off the pump changes while you are running the pump you are probably low on fluid.

Check these 2 things before you go much further, it could save you a lot of time and frustration.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Dave you are 100% right. I never even thought he would try with out gen are shore power and key in acc position. That's why this is good to have a double look. Thank you for coming in there. On mine I still had low Batt there, with that circuit breaker bad. I didn't know how much they changed between his year and mine.
Thanks

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine 38FD 350 Cummins ISC
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #20

on my 2008 alpine the hwh cab is next to the entry door and i found fuses hidden in the wiring in the back of that cabinet..
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuse