Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Leveling jacks are stuck

Had the jacks down and slides out the other day for some cleaning. Went to retract them and they seem to be stuck. The coach itself raised, but its almost as if the jacks themselves did not move. They are currently about 4 inches off the ground. Tried to put them back down and retract them but they do not move either way. The lights on the console blink, but the jacks do not move. Anyone have any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

I had two jacks do this. I had to use a 2x4 as a lever to get them up. The next time they were down I wiped them down with silicone and they now retract on there own. Some say you should not do this because the silicone will attract dirt. One thing I noticed on mine is that when the jacks are fully retracted the springs are very loose. It seems to me there should be a little tension on the springs when the jacks are fully retracted. I was thinking of replacing mine. They are about $35 set.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

We tried to get some leverage to assist them ni coming up, but nothing happened. I thought it may be another issue because it is all 4 jacks that are stuck in the same position.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Sorry that didn't work. I am learning too. Here is a page from the HWH manual on manual jack retraction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jacks.pdf (627.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What does the control panel say? Which lights are blinking? All of the?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The first thing I would check is the fluid level, it is most likely low. Are your slides in, If not retract them if you can then try to retract the jacks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the help. I will check the fluids and I downloaded the manual. My brother was inside, so I am not sure which lights were blinking. It's like the blind leading the blind between my brother and I trying to learn all of the tricks of this machine.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

ok--lots going on here.....store button has to be pushed with system on....key in accessory position. If you attempt to start engine, store cycle will stop. Store light should blink while storing, four jack lights will go out and green travel light will be on when store is complete. Be sure coach is fairly level when using jacks--especially the rear wheels--generally speaking, the jacks should not lift the front or back axles off the gound to achieve leveling.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Hi bigbirney. What system do you have? There's more than one manufacturer we would need to know the brand to make any suggestions for a cure.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #10

All Alpines have HWH systems.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #11

I Believe it is the HWH 610. I am going to try and get over there today and assess. I know at one point we had the coach started which may have caused the issue. I just need to start from square one and also check the fluids.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
The jack system will also work with the key in the run position. If you start storing the jacks then start the engine the jacks will stop storing and the air bags will inflate causing the jacks to be about 4 inches off the ground.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
hax

Bigbirney, i believe that you check the fluid level when the slides and jacks are retracted. Otherwise, when they are retracted the reservoir well overflow. Follow Old Scout's instructions and the jacks should retract. I think the store cycle is about 12 minutes. I usually run another store cycle after I start the engine , this keeps the right rear jack from coming of the micro switch while driving down the road. I think the fluid in the hydraulic line near the radiator heats up and forces the jack down a fraction of an inch. The jack down warning horn coming on while driving is a little disconcerting.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #14

HAX has it right--rear drivers side jack can be a problem, especially if you interrupt the auto deploy or store cycles while the engine/jack area is hot--expanding fluid??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks