Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2020, 03:40 AM   #15

Good to know there is a cut and weld solution if I ever have this issue. Not that I know how to weld things.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I agree with jeep. At the point where the slide is almost closed, the weight and alignment is mainly dependent on the rams which are mounted to the frame rails. Problems caused by the floor would be more noticeable when the slide is going out.

Thanks, Brianna. You are right. I was going the wrong way thinking of floor problems. Now I think the slide ram on the kitchen side must be tilting up in the back, causing the outside end of the slide to tilt down a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
My comment is that only a small adjustment is required. More than a half turn and the cabinets will be hitting the ceiling when the slide comes in.Did you mean to say 1 inch or did you mean 1/8"?

It is probably not a whole inch. I didn't measured it with the slide in, and I don't want to move it until I can go get it fixed.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #17
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
As mentioned in other posts, I cut and rewelded the frame assembly at the end of the arm to gain more adjustment--not for the faint of heart.....

Old Scout, thanks for the info on this. This may be the fix.

Quote:
No real explanation as to why the drop occurs but it does....nylon guides on outside of arm are intact--heard there are similar guides on inside end off arms--there could be a problem there??????

Again, thanks. I am thinking that this is the cause. If there is a top guide on the back of the ram and it came out, then that would cause back to rise and the outside end of the ram to drop.

Quote:
PS--side to side alignment of slide in the side wall opening can also be an issues--this can be adjusted too.

Can you tell me more about where/how to adjust side to side?
Old 11-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
3x5

Thanks to everyone for all of the info. I have a much better handle on this now.

Everything I can see from underneath the extended slide from the outside looks good. I see the adjustment screw and there is maybe a half inch or so of room to adjust. That might be enough. The guide pads look good.

But, it seems to me that the back end of the ram, which is inside of the tube where I can't see it, must have tilted up, causing the outside end of the ram to drop down a little. Old Scout said there are another four guide pads in there. It could be that the top pad has come out? That would cause it to raise at the back and drop the outside end just enough to cause the problems I am having.

I don't know if it is related, but I have developed a hydraulic fluid leak at the back end of the ram. It could just be the fitting, but I don't want to mess with it until I get it in a shop. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_113042 - Copy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	307203  
Old 11-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #19

…...I eventually dismissed the inside nylon ram guide being the issue as the pivot point is at the very end of the tube welded in the frame....so not much opportunity for the outside to tip much...it is also normal for the inside edge of the kitchen cabinets to tip up when slide is fully closed--just as long as the slide is against the side wall at all 4 corners....so don't think it contribute to the mis-alignment--though on occasion, the medal roll cover on my topper can get hung up on the top edge of the slide and cause a jam.

….to your question, the front ram tube has nylon pads on the sides so this arm/tube controls side to side alignment....if you look at the slide mounting brackets, they are slotted side to side....loosen the bolts on both brackets and use something like a "come-along" to hook corner to corner, one ram tube or the other to the opposing slide corner, to pull the slide to the center of the wall opening--make sense???

PS--leaks at the threaded connection on the ram is somewhat common.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #20
3x5

Quote:
….to your question, the front ram tube has nylon pads on the sides so this arm/tube controls side to side alignment....if you look at the slide mounting brackets, they are slotted side to side....loosen the bolts on both brackets and use something like a "come-along" to hook corner to corner, one ram tube or the other to the opposing slide corner, to pull the slide to the center of the wall opening--make sense???
Got it.

Quote:
PS--leaks at the threaded connection on the ram is somewhat common.

Do you think it is coming from inside the tube?
Old 11-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #21

….only a guess but your pic looks like the threads....cylinder seals can leak too but you usually see seeping out the bottom of the tube on the driver's side end....not on the threads on the pass side as your pic seems to indicate....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
3x5

Sorry now that I posted all the stuff about tilting. I found a picture of the back end of the ram online. It looks solidly installed at that end. And my guides are good at the other end. I can't image how it sunk. ...Thanks again for your fix Old Scout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide ram arm photo.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	307222  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Main Slide Ram Assembly.pdf (93.2 KB, 19 views)

Tags
slide