Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #29

How much does it miss fitting by?
I wonder if the advertised height is aired up or dumped? You would think aired up and including the ACs, etc.
I think my door frame is 11'8".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #30

Our ‘05 is listed at 11’ 11”. Aired up, the top of the roof is 11’ (+/- 1/4”). It is adorned with an aftermarket satellite dome which puts the highest point at ~12’ 3”. All the other roof top items are less than 12”, which would accurately reflect the published height. Unless everything on the roof is OEM, you’d need to take a measurement to be certain. Actually, you’ll have to measure it either way to know for sure.

Dumping the air lowers the coach ~4”. That’s an estimate as I haven’t taken measurements after doing so. With bags inflated, the bottom of the body panels/basement doors measures 13.5-14”. The rear bumper tapers up to 24”.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
How much does it miss fitting by?
I wonder if the advertised height is aired up or dumped? You would think aired up and including the ACs, etc.
I think my door frame is 11'8".
It misses by about an inch to the rear ac, aired up. I believe our 12' door opening is actually about 11'10".
Moot point since our shop is only 36' deep...
I told her it needed to be 48' deep when we built it lol.
Our old class c fit fine. Oh well, at least the boat is happy.
We'd like to build a side carport off the shop for it next year.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
My 2001 36FDDS with Winegard TRAV'LER fits in a 13' door (12'10" tall) with room to spare. The ceiling is 14' tall on the interior and there is not much room to do anything but crawl if I get up there inside
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #33

Thanks, guys. My driveway shouldn’t be an issue. And it sounds like I “might” be able to squeeze it through the door with it dumped.

Do any of you have the 275hp Cummins? If so, do you feel it’s under powered on typical roads and interstates? I know steep grades suck with any of them, lol. And this is a question with too many variables, but what kind of mileage do you typically average with the 275?
Old 10-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
We have owned 5 Alpine coaches in the last 20 years, our first one, a new 2002 34' and one of every size since then.
The only issue with the 350 engine we had in the 34' was the exhaust brake. If you buy a coach with the exhaust brake, you need to use it, don't bypass it when running because it will carbon up and eventually stall. Cleaning the bore is no big deal but you have to remove the it from the engine to do it.

The 400's I believe, all had the engine brake, at least all of mine did. those work great.

In 2005 Alpine changed radiator assemblies, incorporating an aluminum radiator which would fail after about 50,000 miles due to fatigue, which was caused by an installation mistake. The rubber suspension mounts were installed upside down. I don't know if all 2005 and 2006 coaches had the problem but my 2006 Apex did and it was a very expensive repair, a new steel radiator install was around $5000 plus labor. Go to the forum on Radiators and see what was written on the subject.

In my opinion the Alpine is the best coach out there even as old as they are now. Good Luck!
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, guys. My driveway shouldn’t be an issue. And it sounds like I “might” be able to squeeze it through the door with it dumped.

Do any of you have the 275hp Cummins? If so, do you feel it’s under powered on typical roads and interstates? I know steep grades suck with any of them, lol. And this is a question with too many variables, but what kind of mileage do you typically average with the 275?
Hey Cuda67,
Not sure if you've found one yet, but here's one close to me in Washington state. It is a 275hp model.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7961322071560/
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-31-2021, 01:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Hey Cuda67,
Not sure if you've found one yet, but here's one close to me in Washington state. It is a 275hp model.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7961322071560/
Yep. That's one of the ones I linked to earlier. I messaged him last week, and he had a deal pending. Told him to let me know if it fell through. I've been keeping an eye on the ad to see if he pulls it down. I need to drop him a line and see where it stands. I've got a few friends in that part of the country, and they said the weather has already started to turn to **** out there. Not sure if I wanna jump in a new to me coach, and cross the passes out there in crappy conditions, lol.

I'm still interested in the one in Oregon that I linked above. Even though it has some problems. I'm gonna call them again too, and see when they're planning to have the issues addressed.

I search for one every day. Usually morning and again at night. I'm ready to jump if the right deal pops up. Have found quite a few. Most are newer than what I want, and obviously above my budget. I've found a few in the years I'm looking for, but they're priced too high for what they are, imo.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #37

Getting one with "problems" is NOT a problem IMO as long as they are fixable.

It is the total of initial cost and what it takes to bring it back to totally road-worthy condition that counts.

There is even something to be said for the repairs being done now instead of earlier and done to YOUR standards.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:16 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Yep. That's one of the ones I linked to earlier. I messaged him last week, and he had a deal pending. Told him to let me know if it fell through. I've been keeping an eye on the ad to see if he pulls it down. I need to drop him a line and see where it stands. I've got a few friends in that part of the country, and they said the weather has already started to turn to **** out there. Not sure if I wanna jump in a new to me coach, and cross the passes out there in crappy conditions, lol.

I'm still interested in the one in Oregon that I linked above. Even though it has some problems. I'm gonna call them again too, and see when they're planning to have the issues addressed.

I search for one every day. Usually morning and again at night. I'm ready to jump if the right deal pops up. Have found quite a few. Most are newer than what I want, and obviously above my budget. I've found a few in the years I'm looking for, but they're priced too high for what they are, imo.
If the one in Bremerton becomes available I could go look at it for you. It's about an hour away from me, but we occasionally go to Costco in Silverdale (real close to Bremerton)
Where are you located?
The weather hasn't really affected the passes here...yet.
Now next month could be a slightly different story.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Getting one with "problems" is NOT a problem IMO as long as they are fixable.

It is the total of initial cost and what it takes to bring it back to totally road-worthy condition that counts.

There is even something to be said for the repairs being done now instead of earlier and done to YOUR standards.
That's my feelings too. I 'think' the problems on that particular coach might actually be relatively simple fixes. The problem is, it's almost 3k miles away from me. Can't exactly just run over and check it out. I may try and get someone to go check it out for me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
If the one in Bremerton becomes available I could go look at it for you. It's about an hour away from me, but we occasionally go to Costco in Silverdale (real close to Bremerton)
Where are you located?
The weather hasn't really affected the passes here...yet.
Now next month could be a slightly different story.
I live just east of Atlanta, Georgia. 2800 miles away. A week's leisurely drive.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #40

I don’t do FB. Where in Oregon is the other one located? Or, can someone provide another link to the coach?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I don’t do FB. Where in Oregon is the other one located? Or, can someone provide another link to the coach?
Haven’t found it listed anywhere other than facebook. It’s west of Eugene, off hwy 126. The owner’s daughter in law posted it on Facebook for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51130403-074D-4CCD-992D-4E9978016808.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	347749  
Old 10-31-2021, 06:17 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
I didn’t know they were built with 275 HP.? Correct?
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote