RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #1

Looking for first diesel pusher, found a couple.

We are looking for our first diesel pusher. Primary use will be pulling 18-20 enclosed trailer to haul my daughters cars. I found an 05 Alpine Avalanche that my wife and I both like, but after reading up on the Avalanche models on here I am a little hesitant. I also found an 08 36fdds which I thought was pretty good until I read some of the comments on JEEPLUVR's post on here about it.

We are looking for 05 and newer, sub $80k, cummins and prefer side radiator. Floor plan isnt a huge deal, water and holding tank size is important.

We really like this Avalanche, just not sure if we should be scared of it, being an experiment and so few built. Is the Avalanche on a peak chassis as well?
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...HER-5012166347

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...DDS-5010665744

DaveI. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

….very good start, you are doing your home work...only a few Avalanches were produced and they differ significantly from the std. Alpine of that era....Having said that, the few owners that I know of/heard about, like their Avalanches--its just that the owner support group is very small.
Just my personal opinion but you can divide Alpines into 4-5 groups: 98-99s were similar and somewhat austere by design [lower production runs]; 2000-2004 had some design and technology upgrades [eg. improved braking, bigger engines]--perhaps the most stable coaches WRV built; 2005-2007 had some significant changes in design[engine, electrical, function, etc] and included the higher-end APEX model; [these two groups had the highest production runs]; 2008/2009s also had some design and function upgrades but lower production runs, prior to factory closing.
PS--Cummins, side rads, large tanks are std on all Alpines [except Avalance???]
Lots of information to be gained on this forum from Alpine owners. Personally, I favor the 2000-2004s, followed by the 2005-2006.....Of course I own a 2003 with 185K miles so I am partial to these models.
Finding an Alpine in good condition is a great opportunity to begin your RVing adventures!!!!!

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Dave --

Welcome to the forum! There are many good forum members willing to provide help anytime!

Regarding your desire for a "new to you" motorhome, there are several makes and floor plans available in your price range. Before settling on a particular brand, I suggest you do some more shopping / exploring using such sites as PPL Motorhomes here in the Houston area. PPL Motorhomes is very large consignment dealership that has many motorhomes in your price range from well known, high quality manufactures such as Newmar, Tiffin, Foretravel, Monaco, etc. --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...0+TO+100000%5d

For example, PPL has a very nice 2008 Tiffin Phaeton as an example of motorhomes in your price range that are on the market --> https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/loo...ml#post5252342

You stated that a side radiator is desired. Can I ask why? Side radiators are usually associated with large motorhomes e.g. 42+ foot length with tandem axle size. Side radiators allow better access to the engine but come with more moving parts for the hydraulic fan system. My current and previous motorhomes has rear radiators that caused zero problems.

With regards to an Alpine motorhome, your post is the first I've heard about that brand of coach. I personally have not seen an Alpine coach on the highway nor in RV resorts / parks during my journeys the last eight years. Alpine Coach may (or may not) have been a good quality manufacturer but they are definitely a lesser know manufacture (the Alpine Owner's Forum here on iRV2 has 140 pages of discussion while the Newmar, Tiffin and Thor forums have 600+ pages each of discussion). The manufacturer of Alpine coaches (Western RV and then Pilgrim International) per Google has been out of business for ten years meaning no manufacturer support. For your first ever motorhome I'd recommend purchasing a better known brand from a manufacturer that is still in business given the collection of available owners' knowledge and available help from the manufacturer.

My first motorhome was a very gently used 2007 Damon Astoria 3774 that cost $64,000 when purchased five years ago. Damon merged with Thor Industries in 2003 to become the Thor known today. Even though the Damon I owned was not a well know brand, Thor had all of the information for the Damon and could provide any help needed.

Good luck with your shopping!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

On the other hand, all motorhomes are largely a collection of parts and assemblies produced by 3rd party manufacturers. Cummins, Allison, Dometic, Aqua-hot, etc. After factory warranty, many coach owners don't rely of factory service anyway. Moreover, we either repair ourselves, or depend upon independent diesel shops. Very few parts are specific to any one motorhome brand. So, not having the manufacturer isn't too much of a big deal. In the case of Alpine, we have a wonderful group of owners here on IRV2 with a wealth of information to share whenever another member experiences an issue. We also share a library of technical documents on our Alpine Coach Association member site. Furthermore, we host multiple ACA rallies each year, many of which schedule 'gear-head' tech sessions, which are of particular interest to newbie owners.

I'm sure this is not uncommon for other brands, but it is a particularly strong benefit for Alpine owners. In the price range you are looking in, you will get more bang for your buck in manufacturers that aren't around anymore. Besides Alpine, Country Coach, Beaver, Blue Bird or and others come to mind. In the case of Alpine, the things you are looking for are standard on the main line coaches. I would encourage you to steer toward the Limited or Limited SE coaches, and avoid the Avalanche. So little is shared on that model, that you are more likely to have a better experience with the standard line coaches.

Good luck on your search, and don't hesitate to post when you find a coach you are interested in. You'll receive much helpful info from our group.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #5

Until now Iíd never heard anyone correlate the number of discussions on an RV forum to the potential quality of a coach. WRV made about 1400 coaches between 1998-2009. They also made quality 5ers and TTís for about 30 years. There may be less than 100 Alpine owners who participate on this forum.

Gary Jones designed the Peak chassis for WRV. He went in to design the Powerglide chassis for Tiffin. Heís kind of a big deal.

WRV made every coach from 34í to 40í with a side radiator. Country Coach made 32í and 36í coaches with side radiators. It is not a feature exclusive to +42í tag-axle coaches. Listen to the Alpine Owners for Alpine specific information, not someone who knows nothing about them. We may be a bit biased, but we can answer your questions.

One of our forum discussions is Alpine Sightings. There have been many, so they are out there.

There are other quality brands as well. Alpine and Country Coach were at the top of our list when we were looking.

All of the major components manufacturers are still in business. Virtually every issue has been dealt with by members on this forum. These things arenít rocket science and a decent mechanic or a handy owner can fix just about anything.

Iím not familiar with the issues experienced by JEEPLUVR. Any 10-15 year old coach can have issues. So can new ones. Even 2M Marathons, Newells or Foretravels. For $80K or less, you should be able to purchase an 05-08 Alpine in the excellent condition.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I can only imagine how I would be received if I was to go on the Newmar forum and talk about how Alpine had standard 4 wheel ABS YEARS before Newmar included them, not to mention how all Alpines have 4 wheel disc brakes and the aforementioned Peak chassis........but then I digress

Now to address the OPs post I think that you are definitely on the right track avoiding the Avalanche, I think I even know the one you are thinking of and it does look very nice.

I can not think of a better platform to start with if you want to buy a very solid, ahead of its time motorhome to make some minor upgrades and have an AMAZING coach going forward! I first of the modern floorplans and the last of the completely agree with the 2000- 2004 being the best years with 2001-2003 the most easily maintained and upgraded as it was the pre-computer controlled units.

This is a great group and you will not find a better support group in any other owners group if you do happen to find a nice Alpine.

All the best in your search!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #7

As a new Alpine owner, the learning curve is STEEP, love the tank sizes, and the way that it drives, we are the second owner of our coach, started looking last December, found a 2001 Alpine that had been used hard but still was a very nice coach 36'FDDS, we really liked the floor plan and all the amenities so when we found a 2005 36' FDDS we jumped all over it, purchased it at Guaranty in JC, got to meet the previous owners and learn some nice things about this coach (all the upgrades available), wish that it had trailer breaks but that's an add for me to do, looking forward to seeing other coaches and see how they have modified theirs to fit them, this forum has been a great way to make a cup of coffee go fast.

Rod and Jackie Fosback
2005 36 FDDS
Rod Fosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Just a handful of coach manufacturers start like this. Designed from the ground up. Patty and I have moved on for different reasons.....if not we would be keeping our 2000 36'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Birth of an Alpine.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	285134  
Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveI. View Post
We are looking for our first diesel pusher. Primary use will be pulling 18-20 enclosed trailer to haul my daughters cars. I found an 05 Alpine Avalanche that my wife and I both like, but after reading up on the Avalanche models on here I am a little hesitant. I also found an 08 36fdds which I thought was pretty good until I read some of the comments on JEEPLUVR's post on here about it.

We are looking for 05 and newer, sub $80k, cummins and prefer side radiator. Floor plan isnt a huge deal, water and holding tank size is important.

We really like this Avalanche, just not sure if we should be scared of it, being an experiment and so few built. Is the Avalanche on a peak chassis as well?
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...HER-5012166347

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...DDS-5010665744
This may help if you are looking for a Long but Good read on the Subject - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how...-a-407961.html

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel