Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
For several years now, Koni has had a 99 series shock as the shock speced for the Peak chassis/Alpines. Right at 2X the piston diameter of the 88 series, so it can provide the desired dampening AND provide reliability.

Have not heard of failures of the 99's.
Yes, I’m aware of the 99’s.

A highly probable scenario is that a 2006 would have had the original shocks replaced after a few years, 2009-11, with the Koni 88’s and will still be riding on those shocks. I specifically mentioned the 88’s as the coach in question now has 54K miles and could very well be equipped with 88’s that have 30-40K miles on them.

Some owners have reported failures of the 88’s in as little as 15-20K miles. I felt this was something that should be on the OP’s checklist.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Yes, I’m aware of the 99’s.

A highly probable scenario is that a 2006 would have had the original shocks replaced after a few years, 2009-11, with the Koni 88’s and will still be riding on those shocks. I specifically mentioned the 88’s as the coach in question now has 54K miles and could very well be equipped with 88’s that have 30-40K miles on them.

Some owners have reported failures of the 88’s in as little as 15-20K miles. I felt this was something that should be on the OP’s checklist.

Agreed, were it me and I bought a coach with either Bilstein or Koni 88 series shocks in front, I would budget replacing them with the 99's.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #17

Can you tell the 88’s from the 99’s just by looking at them. Is the number written on them , different color or ???
GSPx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPx2 View Post
Can you tell the 88’s from the 99’s just by looking at them. Is the number written on them , different color or ???

Other than diameter, you can tell by PN.

The PN will be stamped on them. If it begins with 90, it is a 90 series. If the PN begins with 88, it is an 88 series.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPx2 View Post

Yes, you can. The 88's look like a traditional shock, whilst the 99's are one hefty cylinder with a polished steel shaft protruding out the top. It looks like a mini-hydraulic shaft. VERY different look, from a 'normal' shock absorber.

Also, my old 88's were painted gold. The 99's are red or black body.

Much improved ride with the 99's. As the original owner, I was able to get a free pair of 99's in trade for the worn out 88's. Koni's a good company.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
OP, unless you’re experienced with diesel mhs, you should hire an rv inspector to inspect it prior to purchase. Make sure the inspector knows diesel mhs, many don’t.

I agree with posters who say buy it if it is in very good condition, even without records. That’s what I did, but I did get my inspected prior to purchase.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidGreh View Post
Scott and RVPioneer - Strangely enough this one is not listed for $54,900 (just checked this morning to see if it had been reduced). It is at $56,900 with 54k miles. I can't find the one that is at $54,900.

What does the Vansco Mod do? and how much are they?

I have the test kits in my possession for the engine/trans/Genset and coolant from JG Lubricant Services in anticipation of needing them at some point
That price is reasonable.

Green coolant is fine. It has just been replaced by the red stuff. I had no idea either until I had my radiator fail recently. The shop that replaced the radiator, also swapped out our coolant. We had taken it to Cummins for annual maintenance in December, and they said the green coolant tested great. Don't sweat it unless it tests bad. 54k miles is pretty low, but was the radiator replaced already? What year is it?

You're buying from a dealer, so I HIGHLY recommend a warranty. Ours already paid for itself with that radiator replacement mentioned above.

The Vansco issue is also something you can deal with. You can still get them from the manufacturer, but it will take awhile. They aren't a cheap spare part at $1500, but we plan to get one soonish. If it becomes an emergency, there are other owners that would likely help out with their spares. From what I can tell, they do not fail often.

We love our Alpine. We have only had it since August, and it's our only RV, so take that for what it's worth.

We've had trouble with it, but I suspect all MH's have problems. This thing was built well with high quality components.

Have you driven the Alpine you're interested in? That should pretty much settle your decision IMHO
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
The 'strange' pricing thing was my dyslexic brain blending 54k miles with the $56,900 price!

We're talking about the same coach. Seems like a great find. Let us know if you buy it.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
That price is reasonable.

Green coolant is fine. It has just been replaced by the red stuff. I had no idea either until I had my radiator fail recently. The shop that replaced the radiator, also swapped out our coolant. We had taken it to Cummins for annual maintenance in December, and they said the green coolant tested great. Don't sweat it unless it tests bad. 54k miles is pretty low, but was the radiator replaced already? What year is it?

Just don’t mix the green and red coolants.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidGreh View Post
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

RVPioneer - the last 5 of the VIN are 75551. 2006 36' 2 slides Tan colors with burgundy red accents. ISL. Residential refrigerator. Located in the South East.

While I'm at it - are there any Alpine quirks in this vintage range I should look for.

75551 has never been registered with either ACA or here on IRV2.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
75551 has never been registered with either ACA or here on IRV2.
Thanks to all who have chimed in here - you're great!!

I would like to give you an update. On Fri evening I took off for Fredericksburg VA to see the coach. I live 10 miles from the Canadian border in MN. I slept in my car once when I was tired and washed my hands like crazy after making pit-stops and fueling due to C-19.

I saw the coach on Sunday. It was in beautiful inside and out with the exception of some "measles" type bumps on the wall next to the driver - picture attached.

However when I drove the unit I was dismayed at the lack of power. I was at a bit of a disadvantage because I have never driven one before so I have nothing to benchmark it against. I was not expecting anything great but even with low expectations I was significantly underwhelmed especially with an empty coach and not towing anything. I couldn't image towing a car up a mountain grade. One clue was driving with the window open the noise back at the radiator area was incredible - like a jet engine in full throttle take-off mode. I am thinking there is a turbo/intercooler issue of some sort. Of course the dealer assured me all was normal - lol.

So other than the power issue I was quite impressed with the drivability of the unit - it was very quiet going over bumps - seemed tighter than I had been warned than driving a house on wheels would be.

The dealer had 1 rating available and it was very negative. Guy bought a unit from him on the internet and it ended up not having a Genset when he picked it up - guess what I saw in the dealers garage - yes you got it - 2 Gensets sitting there. Also, even though it was 85F outside in VA and summer was coming he wouldn't allow flipping it to summer operation to test those systems.

Then he started the pressure routine by talking about all the other buyers he had queued up. That turned me off and contributed to the gut feeling that it was best to walk away because the price he wanted didn't adequately reflect the risk I was taking on i.e. no opportunity to have the unit completely checked out. It was like I would be taking on "buying at an auction type of risk" at an almost retail price.

But the real nail in the coffin was when my gf via facetime said she didn't like the couch - as if that would ever stop you from buying an otherwise good coach - LOL. I told her that changing out a couch and the countertop (that was another issue for her) was no big deal.

Anyway it was a good learning experience for me. I blasted off from VA at 7pm Sun evening and arrived at home 11:30pm Monday night. 3300 miles round-trip in slightly over 3 days.

Bottom line - I would still like to become an Alpine owner at some point as they are very impressive machines. Also looking at Country Coach and Beaver.

Thanks again for all your good information and assistance.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Alpine.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	279979  
ReidGreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #26

The measles could be water damage. Typically, water damage shows as streaks, stains and discoloration. The photo you attached looks more like rust blisters.

A lack of power is not a characteristic of an Alpine, particularly a 36’ dual slide. We have one and I swear it does 0-40mph quicker than my VW Jetta diesel. You are probably correct that something is awry in the turbo department. The repair cost could be negotiated off the sales price once the problem has been diagnosed, but it sounds like this guy doesn’t want to play ball.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, but you can always get another one. I’m kidding. Browse through the “Quick tip and easy mods” thread at the top of the Alpine forum with her to see some of the cosmetic upgrades other owners have done.

FWIW: There is a 2006 36MDDS listed in the classifieds section for $75K in CA.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
My advice is you are working too hard at the buying process. Traveling 3300 miles to see one coach, is working too hard. I see you live in a very rural beautiful place, but I would limit my search to within a few hundred miles of home. There has to be many nice coaches for sale within that radius. You may have to increase the number of brands you seek to purchase.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #28

Keep looking--might be a good deal at the right price but probably not.....as stated, lack of power is not an attribute of the Alpine, especially those with ISL400s. Many coaches had issue with fogged windows in that era--including Alpine. During glass repair-- improper install of the window frame can/will cause leaks. Very difficult to determine the extent of the damage......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote