Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Looking for previous owner of Alpine - I have the VIN

Hello Alpine Owners Group,

I am considering the purchase of an Alpine and there are no service records available. This makes me a tad uneasy and as such I would like to speak to the previous owner(s). The dealer is a small independent car dealer and won't or can't provide the previous owners info.

I do have the VIN. Is there anyway I can get in touch with the previous owner if they belonged to the Alpine Owners Group on here.

I would really like to join y'all but want to do it judiciously. I did send out a mechanic to look at the unit. There were a number of concerns - the one that really troubles me was the wrong coolant reported as green vs. red. I'm worried about sleeve erosion of course. If it hasn't been in too long my concern would be mitigated.

Staying on point here - I would really like to track down the previous owner.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
ReidGreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You might be able to buy a title history report from the state the Alpine is currently titled in, which is likely the location of the dealer.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my coach from Lazy Days. They told me the same story. However some weeks after purchasing, LD sent me my new title and included a copy of the PO’s title. I was able to contact him and get good information.

I suspect your dealer has a copy of the PO’s title. They are reluctant to share it for fear you will get bad info from PO, killing their chance of a sale. I might tell them you really want to buy the coach and are willing to put down a nice deposit, but the purchase is contingent on speaking with PO. You could even allow your salesman to attend the call you make to the PO.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
First thing to look at is the thread Alpine Registration at the top of this page. If that does not help, post the year, size, door location (mid-door vs front door) and location of the dealer. With that info, someone on here may be able to help.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #5

What are the last 5 numbers of the VIN?

My coolant is green. This is normal.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #6

…."wrong coolant....?" Many older coaches came with and still have the DCA-based green/blue coolant which, with proper maintenance, was perfectly acceptable for the time.....it can be converted to the LF orange, if desired....not sure, but you might want to revalidate your mechanic's credentials.….
PS--at best, only about 40-50% of the total number of Alpine owners belonged to the owners' group, so using the aforementioned register and communicating with the broader audience here on IRV2 is probably the best strategy for you....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
What are the last 5 numbers of the VIN?

My coolant is green. This is normal.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

RVPioneer - the last 5 of the VIN are 75551. 2006 36' 2 slides Tan colors with burgundy red accents. ISL. Residential refrigerator. Located in the South East.

While I'm at it - are there any Alpine quirks in this vintage range I should look for.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
First thing to look at is the thread Alpine Registration at the top of this page. If that does not help, post the year, size, door location (mid-door vs front door) and location of the dealer. With that info, someone on here may be able to help.
Jeff and Cheryl - In addition to the previous info I have shared it is a Front Door unit - thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If this is the one listed for $54,900, I would go for it. The coach looks extremely well cared for - very clean and no obvious damage inside or out based upon the pictures. The dash carpet tells me a lot about the previous owners. Nice, low mileage coaches at a fair asking price don't come along very often.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidGreh View Post
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

RVPioneer - the last 5 of the VIN are 75551. 2006 36' 2 slides Tan colors with burgundy red accents. ISL. Residential refrigerator. Located in the South East.

While I'm at it - are there any Alpine quirks in this vintage range I should look for.
There is no information in the registry for that VIN.

On 2004 and later models, many owners added a steering bracket upgrade, some did a master cylinder upgrade, actually a smaller MC, for better brake feel. They are also equipped with Vansco Modules which occasion fail and can, potentially, leave a coach stranded. Many owners carry a spare.

If it is the one Scott mentioned at $54,900, that is an alarmingly low price for a 2006 in good condition. If it passes the sniff test it would be worth the cost of a professional inspection, including fluid analysis, before moving forward. Once you have a better idea of what the coach may need you will be able to make an informed assessment of its value.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
There is no information in the registry for that VIN.

On 2004 and later models, many owners added a steering bracket upgrade, some did a master cylinder upgrade, actually a smaller MC, for better brake feel. They are also equipped with Vansco Modules which occasion fail and can, potentially, leave a coach stranded. Many owners carry a spare.

If it is the one Scott mentioned at $54,900, that is an alarmingly low price for a 2006 in good condition. If it passes the sniff test it would be worth the cost of a professional inspection, including fluid analysis, before moving forward. Once you have a better idea of what the coach may need you will be able to make an informed assessment of its value.
Scott and RVPioneer - Strangely enough this one is not listed for $54,900 (just checked this morning to see if it had been reduced). It is at $56,900 with 54k miles. I can't find the one that is at $54,900.

What does the Vansco Mod do? and how much are they?

I have the test kits in my possession for the engine/trans/Genset and coolant from JG Lubricant Services in anticipation of needing them at some point
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
…...Staying on point here - I would really like to track down the previous owner.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Everyone wants the records. Most are incomplete even if they are there. I wouldn't let lack of records keep me from the perfect MH.

With an older MH I feel the better indicator of how it was treated is how it looks in the nooks and crannies.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Scott and RVPioneer - Strangely enough this one is not listed for $54,900 (just checked this morning to see if it had been reduced). It is at $56,900 with 54k miles. I can't find the one that is at $54,900.

What does the Vansco Mod do? and how much are they?

I have the test kits in my possession for the engine/trans/Genset and coolant from JG Lubricant Services in anticipation of needing them at some point
The VMM’s control automotive functions. Headlights, ignition, turn signals, etc. I’ve attempted to load a chart. One module is located in the battery bay, the other is behind the panel in front of the passenger seat along with a Power Distribution Module. Cost is ~$1800 for one.

There may have been a couple of failures last year. Sometimes a problem is misdiagnosed as a VMM failure. I do not know how the few recently reported reported problems were resolved. On some occasions, swapping front and rear modules will resolve the issue. Failures are rare and the units are still being manufactured. Sometimes they are back ordered from the manufacturer. There are other options available for an owner in need to locate a unit.

Even $56,900 seems too good to be true.

Some potentially costly items would include:
Body/Paint damage
Cracked windshield or fogged windows
Tires
Shocks. Many owners replaced the original Bilsteins with Koni 88’s. In some cases the Koni’s failed after ~20K miles.
Batteries
Inverter
Hydro-Hot, if so equipped.
Hydraulics, jacks, slides and Smart beds, if optioned.
AC units
Interior cosmetic issues, blinds, carpets, etc.

Keep us posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2005 VMM-PDM Schematic.pdf (328.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Shocks. Many owners replaced the original Bilsteins with Koni 88’s. In some cases the Koni’s failed after ~20K miles.

For several years now, Koni has had a 99 series shock as the shock speced for the Peak chassis/Alpines. Right at 2X the piston diameter of the 88 series, so it can provide the desired dampening AND provide reliability.

Have not heard of failures of the 99's.