Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Lap,
Call Purosil at the # listed in the previous post and give them your info. I'm sure they can help you.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just finished changing out the silicone CAC elbow. Not an easy job. About 1 1/2 hours and it requires cutting the old hose off.
Don't plan on doing this on the side of the road with a hot engine. Keep a roll of silicone tape handy for a temporary fix.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, Was that the "black" elbow thet is connected to the metal "expander" elbow that is attached to the turbo-fan on one end and the pipe to the CAC on the other. Visually it looks like that is easy to get off... unless it is melted or glued on. On mine it can easily be reached from the top; via the bed-hood and away from the muffler's heat. If you are going to be in Oregon for the pre or fmca rallies look me up. Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Pictures, pictures!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Here are a couple of pictures of the new hi temp CAC hose. I unbolted the coolant tank and moved it to the side to get a better working area. Still had to cut off the old hose as it was firmly stuck to the piping and I couldn't get enough leverage to pull it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo hose from rt. rear (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	4814   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo hose from under coach (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4815  

Attached Images

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #20

Sexy. I like the push pad between air pipe and the frame part.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Well, you've ruined my day; now that I know it's just a matter of time!
Thanks for the info & pix. Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #22

If that dose not fix your power loss, change your fuel filter.
Good Luck,

Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
If that dose not fix your power loss, change your fuel filter.
Good Luck,

Dan
OK, I packed up the rig, drove 2 miles and no power, again.
This happened last summer. I found 2 new fuel filters at two separate parts houses. I limped on over to both locations and picked up the filters.
I found a gas station that had diesel fuel, parked around back. Went and filled one of the filters with fuel, installed it, and back in business.
The filter was replaced less than 5k mi. ago. Well, now I will carry a spare.
I must have some crud in the tank.
Anyway, made it to the lake and fished with my grandson and his mom.
Had a great time.

Filters are cheep. But, you can't buy them after 6:00 pm. (Grand Auto wont have it.) Buy one and put it in your basement.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
All - Fuel Filters, fuel, and good places to purchase. Elbow in above pictures seems to have a different amount of hardware which in my unit has been moved someplace else, mine was easy, and took about 30 minutes to change. There must be some re-arrangement of parts in the engine compartment on the later coaches or by model. When our elbow went out, we were in Idaho, and got stuck there for 5 days waiting on the new part.

I wonder if we all can agree on a distributor, and then have them order as many of this part as we all want. Maybe EM can be the central point on this so we can have them all shipped to one place and then pick up at the next big rally or something. This seems to be something many of us will suffer and maybe more than once.

Fuel Filters for ISL-400 engine. I get mine at Cummins, and save some money because of being a "Power Club" member. At my last oil change I had them change the one on the side of the engine, since they had a way to do it without taking the bed apart. I purchased the water separator one, and carry it as a spare.

Now there being no guarantees in life, I still try to make decisions that will cause me the least amount of pain. That being the case, I only purchase my fuel at Truck Stops, and my reasoning is that they take extra care to keep it clean, and treat their tanks regularly so no water is in the fuel. I don’t purchase diesel at the corner gas station because they don’t take the same pains to keep that fuel clean and pure, or as pure as possible. Everyone I have talked to about plugged filters, purchased that bad fuel at a normal station, not a truck stop. Now one time I did get water in my fuel from an “associated Flying J” station along the coast in CA. That happened years ago, with my ford pickup with the Navistar Diesel engine in it. That bad fuel, turned on my “water in fuel” light, and within about 5 miles I was able to pull over and drain that filter, the problem never returned. I also only pull into the truck side of the truck stop, it's easier on me to fuel on that side of the station, and less hassel for the small trucks and cars with me trying to get around at the smaller side of the place. Do yourself a favor and do it on the big rig islands, you will find it lots easier on you. They will make the price adjustment at the register anyway, and you can then use any fueler card the station honors to keep the price lower.

Now I drain my “water-separator filter every time I do my battery maintenance, which works out to about every six weeks. I let at least a pint of fuel drain out, which is maybe too much, but then you never know. I also use either stanadyne fuel treatment (http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74) or Diesel Power Service treatment (http://powerservice.com/dfs/). The PST stuff can be had a many truck stops. I usually treat my tank before I fill up, and when I know the rig is not going to be used for at least a month or longer. Diesel fuel can grow algae, and either of these will at least protect it for a while. If the rig is being used about every two weeks or so, then I just run the fuel as normal again only fueling up at truck stops.

Speaking about Trucks Stops, it appears Flying J, sale has been completed and Pilot has totally taken over those stations or been sold to Love’s. The flying J which used to be in Troutdale, OR, is now a Loves Truck Stop, and the price I paid was 3.09, but that was over a month ago, and prices have been going up.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Monty:

I've found that Flying J's in AZ, CA, UT, NV, ID and MT do not honor the lower RV price on the truck islands. I ask every time and am denied every time. However, they do give me the 1 cent per gallon FMCA discount, but it doesn't make up for the 15 cent higher price (taxes, I believe). Even the manager(s) in charge won't honor it. My tank last week cost me nearly $14 extra (yes, I ran it too low). My consolation is the high flow-rate nozzles.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, the discounts I was thinking about is the FMCA discount and we always pay cash so we get the cash price. Now with FJ's going to Pilots, don't know what will happen to that.

It's my experience that the trucker price for diesel is less than the car diesel price, and we have to pay the car price. Never have been given the truck price, and cannot seem to convience the attendant, it's "like a truck" just has a bed in it!!!

And the New company called "Pilot Flying J" seems to be now in business and having completed the merger. They did have to sell 26 stations as I was informed and Loves purchased two of them I believe.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #27

My recent experience in the mid-west is that the "new and improved" Flying Js also have the new [higher] Pilot and Loves prices [Loves bought some of the old Flying J locations]. So much for RV or FMCA discounts--new prices perhaps 7-10 cents higher/gal! "QTs" in the mid-west seem to be a better deal now days.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Monty:

If you go to Quartzsite this year, stop at the local Pilot and see which is cheaper, car or semi islands. Last year, another Alpiner and I were both duped out of 10 or 12 cents per gallon at the truck pumps; he raised a stink. That is also why the Flying J in Ehrenberg has an RV island. It is programmed at a lower price.

I've yet to see diesel cheaper at any truck island west of the Missouri. It's been awhile since I've ventured further East via motorhome.

That FMCA discount is only a penny; not much, but better than nada.

All that aside, my $3.34 per gallon today nearly made me choke! (T/A)

Am I off-topic, yet?