Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Question Main Slide Adjustment

I have a question for you experts.

I have taken our Alpine to a repair place I trust to get oil change and I asked them to adjust the main slide so it would come in flush on the bottom back.
It would come in flush at the other 3 points but would stick out about 1/2 inch on the back lower corner.

They say it is an electrical issue????

I am open for any ideas as to what to tell them to offer assistance.

Thank you.

2002 MDDS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I can not address the how of the fix but it is not electric, the slide is operated by two hydraulic rams.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Run away, run away now--if your "service" guy they cant figure out whether is an electric or hydraulic slide--then you don't what them doing anything on your coach....just for explanation--HWW hydraulic slide [the main] for an Alpine has manual adjusts for vertical and side to side; in and out is adjusted automatically by loading the ram pressure up in the complete in and out position over several cycles.....there is a threaded rod stop-block for each bottom corner....only other issue is if something has fallen down inside and is blocking full closure....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Thank you Old Scout.

They know it is hydraulic . This is what he is telling me -

The electrical issue is the reason the slide room is not closing at the bottom completely. The unit is losing power as it closes from the switches at the front console of the vehicle.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Interesting--"loosing power" as in completely, all at once or slows down to a stop? HWH slides don't have sensors so only electrical issue for a main slide is the potential increase in amp load at closing. Most models of Alpine have the kitchen cabinets in the main slide so its a pretty good increase in load as the the cabinet end of the slide moves up to close the bottom of the slide. Therefore, I would suspect corroded 12v connections around the motor/relays or batteries, or perhaps the pump motor brushes are going bad?????
Old 05-13-2021, 04:29 AM   #6

He is telling me it is the "Trigger Wire " that is connected to the pump solenoid that is losing voltage?

He also discovered the leaking ram on the rear . He is ordering a new one from HWH ($500) and lead time is 8 weeks but could be 4 months. It is a slow leak which is why I keep a bottle of hydraulic fluid on board at all times.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #7

"Trigger wire"....not sure that is HWH terminology????? Low voltage usually suggests a bad ground or a bad connection[s] or bad batteries--when amp draw goes up, volts go down. Large amp draw is controlled thru relays on /near the pump motor, the relay require very little current from the control panel to "trigger". If this is the problem, all low amp 12v connections in the pump compartment, and behind the control panel, should be checked and cleaned.
Is the "leaking ram in the back" a slide or jack? Cylinders can leak but more often its hose connections. Cylinder replacement is expense and delays are long. Stewarts in [Indiana?] might be another option. Sometimes, cylinder seals can be replaced locally for much less $$$$ and quicker. Your fellow Alpine owners want to help you but for me, your service guy's vagueness is not inspiring confidence that he really knows what he is doing???
Old 05-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #8

Your help is greatly appreciated. I am speaking to the service manager not the mechanics that are working on it. I am sure if they had the mechanics talking directly to the customers, it would make more sense.

I wish I had a better alternative but they are the best in my area.
I am still working full time and do not have the space or tools to do many of the repairs you are so knowledgeable of.

I suppose I could take it to Camping World? (joke)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Your help is greatly appreciated. I am speaking to the service manager not the mechanics that are working on it. I am sure if they had the mechanics talking directly to the customers, it would make more sense.

I wish I had a better alternative but they are the best in my area.
I am still working full time and do not have the space or tools to do many of the repairs you are so knowledgeable of.

I suppose I could take it to Camping World? (joke)
You might try contacting azpete on this forum, via PM. He works for HWH and from what you describe, he probably can clarify what you've been told or call it out as incorrect.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #10

UPDATE-

Rear ram is leaking so they have ordered new ram.
Last Monday the HWH touch pad went out.
That explains the goofiness from the pad.
The shop came out to camp site and managed to get jacks down and LR slide out so we could enjoy the past 2 weeks, out. They are coming back tomorrow morning to bring slide in, raise jacks and drive back to shop for repairs.

And lucky me, the water heater cover pin decided to break and both pin and cover are gone. We have retraced route and did not see anywhere. They have ordered a new cover for it, too.

Hope you all had a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Tags
slide