Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2022, 06:44 PM   #1

Main slide went out crooked. Now it is stuck

Well My main slide moved out crooked and now it is stuck. The front is all of the way out, but the rear still has about 6 inches to go. Also their is a hydraulic leak from the front box ( that I assume covers the ram ).

If I attempt to retract the slide only the rear moves now.

The jacks and bedroom slide seem to move just fine.

In case it doesn’t show from my phone
2003 Alpine 36mdds

I am parked in a storage lot on level concrete. I’m sure they will be pleased to see the hydraulic fluid on the ground. That and I have the big slide out.

I need suggestions on what to do to at minimum get the slide back in.

Mike
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

The slideS worked fine on this past weekend’s trip.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:10 PM   #3

Well I now have it about just 2” left to go in the rear. However, I cannot get any movement from the front.

I keep running the pump and manually pushing the slide. That how I got from the 6” gap to now a 2” gap.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:24 AM   #4

With a large hydraulic leak, you may not get enough pressure to retract. Need to release pressure from both extend and retract solenoids on the HWH pump manifold [see screws on ends of solenoids]. Believe 03 had manual winch/strap inside basement, on ceiling, to retract slide. With solenoid pressure released, you may be able to push slide in or winch it. Leak could be hoses or internal to slide cylinder tube. If internal to tube, it will be a major repair effort.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #5

I was able to retract the slide.

I loosened the solenoid screws. Since I did not know which was which, I loosened all of them. The slide still refused to move. I was able to determine that the cylinder was still under pressure. Then I loosened the line on the syncro cylinder. Then I was able to retract the slide.

The slide is secure now.

The offending cylinder is the front one. It looks like I can extract the cylinder by unbolting the mounting plate and pulling it out. The mounting plate is in the back of the same compartment as the pump.

I would have to move the slide back out a bit. This will allow access to unbolt that end of the cylinder. Then unbolt the mounting plate and pull the cylinder out from the passenger side. Then I can determine where it is leaking, and what it will take to correct that situation.

I suspect the issue was caused by the syncro cylinder.

Trying to decide if I should tackle this or bring it to a shop.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:37 AM   #6

Some owners with your 03 slide config find that the front cylinder wont come out past the fender/side fiberglass at the pump door. One or two have resorted to cutting the fender.
The other option is to release the fender bolts and swing the fender up and away on the cam-shell hinges--like the basement doors do [be sure to hold fender securely as you raise it. Either option requires some work.
PS--if you had to loosen a hose to release pressure after releasing all solenoid screws, it could be the solenoid for that slide or the shuttle valve in the pump manifold????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:34 PM   #7

I had the same thing happen this past weekend. My coach is a 2004 40mdts. Mine was the opposite, the front end of the living room slide worked but the back cylinder was way off creating a stuck crooked slide. We used Good Sams to get a technician out. We ended up putting a jack under the front slide to keep the front from closing and then retracted until the rear became unstuck. The rear hydraulic ram is leaking inside on the square tube as well as poured out from under the slide so it blew the seals. I also discovered a few drops of hydraulic fluid at the front of the slide. It could be from holding the front out while retracting the rear. I will need the same part as you if I cant get the ram rebuilt by a hydraulic repair shop. I would appreciate any information and parts that you might find. I will do the same unless you have solved it. Thanks in advance
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #8

will update this as I get info.

It will be a while until I get to working on the slide. Maybe sometime in December.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:19 PM   #9

Main Slide Cylinders are now removed

I have successfully removed both main slide cylinders and the syncro-cylinder.

Removed the floor heater duct work. The vent box was stabled to the flooring. We removed the stables and pulled the box up.

Then I cut off the insulated duct work that was attached.

This enabled me to see the back end of the slide cyclinder.

Then I removed the junction to the insulated duct and the uninsulated duct work at the forward wall of the storage compartment. This was so that I could remove all of the insulated duct work. Also the uninsulated duct work was blocking the sync cylinder. The uninsulated duct was also dry due to age and needed replacement even without this issue.

With the slide fully extended, I removed the nut that holds the end of the cylinder to the slide. I did this on both cylinders. One nut was kind of loose. The other one, I used an offset boxend wrench 15/16

Then I disconnectws the hydraulic lines from the cylinders 5/8 and 1/2 wrenches.

Removed the two nuts that hold the cylinders to the frame.

For the front, I had to dismount the salesman switch. The front cylinder would not come out with this mounted.

Then I simply pulled the cylinders out.

The front cylinder, did not come out as easliy as the rear one. It did contact the body work. I just pulled it to the side a bit and then it came out with out issue.

The sycro-cylinder was only messy, not hard. The is a u-bolt on both ends, and the two low pressure lines that have to be removed. The rear end of the cylinder is in the storage compartment, and the front end is behind the steps (remember this is on a mid entry - 36MDDS).

The front end of the cylinder was rather dirty. Get you safety glasses on when messing with this end for the falling grime.

There is a single hydraulic line one this end.

With the u-bolts and hydraulic lines disconnected, I slid the cylinder into the storage compartment and out.

So now on to contacting HWH to either get these rebuilt or purchase replacement pieces.

Cylinders = AP15324
Syncro-Cylinder = AP14101
Old 12-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #10

I am still waiting to hear back from HWH so that I can send the cylinders back to get rebuilt.

In order to continue to use the coach, I have secured the slideout. I ran a piece of 5/8" all thread through to where the cylinder mounts on the outside. I used some nuts/washers/lock washers and basically used the all thread as one long bolt.

I will reply back once I get cylinders.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #11

I finally got my slides repaired. I have the exact same rams that you have in my 2004 40MDTS. After several conversations with Arizona Pete (a long time HWH employee) about the HWH system and how to operate and repair it I took my hydraulic rams to a local professional who had no problem disassembling and rebuilding them. The shop repairs for many of the RV repair facilities locally. It costed $275 each out the door so please take a look in your area for someone who is competent and you can save yourself some money. Arizona Pete (602 549 3638) confirmed that they still have a pretty big backlog if you want HWH to do it.
I have everything back together and the slide works perfectly with no leaks. I am still opening and closing it once a week or so just to keep working the air out of it. In the process of the ram blowing and the slide going cattywampus, the front of my slide now drags on the floor and seems to have moved the nylon pad under it that the bottom of the slide box rides up on. Does anyone have information on that particular part? I will have to jack up the slide a little to get under it but I think that installing a new one would solve the problem quicker.
Thanks,
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astasoftride View Post
I am still waiting to hear back from HWH so that I can send the cylinders back to get rebuilt.

In order to continue to use the coach, I have secured the slideout. I ran a piece of 5/8" all thread through to where the cylinder mounts on the outside. I used some nuts/washers/lock washers and basically used the all thread as one long bolt.

I will reply back once I get cylinders.
I had a leaking cylinder on my generator slide. I removed it and took it to a local tractor repair shop. They rebuilt it for less than $200.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #13

Gents,
Great info and insight, any pictures of the process.
Pictures worth 1000 words.
Cheers
Bob
Sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
Gents,
Great info and insight, any pictures of the process.
Pictures worth 1000 words.
Cheers
Bob
Mine was a generator slide but there might be some useful info in my report.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/rep...ml#post6088940
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide