Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '98 36' coach with one slide. I was chatting with a couple of other Alpine owner friends who also have 36' units, but with two slides. One has a 2000, and the other a 2003. Both have a manual cranking mechanism in case there's a electrical, hydraulic or some other type of failure. My '98 doesn't seem to have this. Does anyone know what my procedure would be or a Point of Contact who would know?

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '98 36' coach with one slide. I was chatting with a couple of other Alpine owner friends who also have 36' units, but with two slides. One has a 2000, and the other a 2003. Both have a manual cranking mechanism in case there's a electrical, hydraulic or some other type of failure. My '98 doesn't seem to have this. Does anyone know what my procedure would be or a Point of Contact who would know?

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dave:

The only thing I can think of what you might be able to do is to manually open the solenoids on the HWH manifold (Both the in and out) and than get a bunch of people to push the slide out back into the closed position and than close the solenoids.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:43 AM   #4

Ous does not have the crank either, which we found out when our pump went out and could not get our slide in. We were told it was because of the flat floor, the slides drops down and a crank would not work. We considered using a bucket off a tractor to lift it, but did not have to because they sent a new pump and we were able to replace it at the campground.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #5

We lost electrical to the pump, and tried to use the ratchet to bring the slide in. It didn't work and HWH said the only way it would work is to get 10 big guys and push it in. We had the solenoids open as is suggested in the manual. If you applied enough pressure to the crank it started to bend the bar the connected the slide to the crank.

In a pinch try to take the passenger side of the coach down so you are at least pushing it downhill.

Tom & Debbie Viren
Tom Viren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #6

I fabricated a bar like the newer coachers have and cut a round hole in the coach for a ***-a-long to reach through. It will work fine although I hope I never need it. Could try to send pictures if you like.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #7

Our hydraulic pump failed once. The crank doesn't really work, and only the living room slide ever had a crank anyway!

Open the valves and push the slides in manually.

Be sure to close the valve again or the slides will sling back out the first time you go around a corner - don't ask me how I know this.
Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #8

Which valve controls the slide? Do you open all of the valves? How many turns of the valve handles to open? I fear someday the generater slide will not work just when I am running low on fuel!

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Don't worry about the gen slide. It is electrically operated totally independent of the hydrolic system. If necessary it can be manually operated from under the coach.

Jerry & Judy
05 36'FDDS
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #10

Ever hear the old saying: "things chnage." Before 2004, the gen slide was operated thru the HWH system. One problem with this forum is that owners may, or may not, be knowledgeable about their model of coach, but not yours. Lots of good "observations" on the forum but somewhat fewer "facts." There should be a diagram of the valve layout either inside the pump area or in yr WRV operators guide. As I recall, 2.5 turns is what HWH recommends to open the valves. I too worry about the gen slide not opening some day but "assume" there is a bypass method--probably not easy but nevertheless a method. dean
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #11

At homecoming, October 05 the factory rep taking all of us on a tour of Chassis area showed us how to manually open and close Generator slide. This is for those with worm gear ELECTRIC MOTOR. There is a bar in front behind fiberglass front cover (at bottom) that the worm gear attaches to with bolt/nut. Undue bolt, lift up on bar and slide forward. Note: make sure to re-attach bolt/nut before going down the road. Hope this helps
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #12

If any of you do not have a come a long and would like to have one purchase a chain style from someone like Grainger. They have a very small one that is more than you need. The cable or strap units are a pain in the neck. The chain operated lever hoists operate with less effort and you do not have to move the handle so far. I sell them but it is silly to come to me plus I am known to be expensive. If you want I will be glad to post Grainger's model # of the unit. I carry 3 of them, one never knows.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #13

I haven't needed one, but I figure if I am prepared it won't ever happen, so please do post the Grainger part number. Thanks.