Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #29

Redlands Truck & RV

We have recognized the significance of this safety upgrade & We are working on an Alpine specials program. Watch for detail's...
Mike Bronzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Master Cylinder upgrade

I want to thank Jim Archer for bringing the Alpine master cylinder upgrade information to our attention. As soon as we got his email our new General Manager, Mike Bronzini scoured his sources and not only secured a supplier but did it with some incredible pricing. His efforts have allowed us to offer a special price for the basic upgrade starting at $399. Call for pricing on our other popular services including brake fluid exchange/upgrade and the Rando fluid upgrade and filter service.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #31

Dag-Nabitt. If I'da knowd that, I'da had Redlands do it on my coach.

That's a helluva price. Dollar for dollar, that's the best investment in safe coach handling I've seen for an Alpine.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #32

For us in the NW, I have sent in a request to the popular RV repair station in Centralia, Wa. to see if they care to offer this service. I don't see anyone claiming a monoply on this fix.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
iRV2 Sponsor

I'm sure they will, ask for Alan.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #34

Assume this conversation applies to 2005 [2004?] and newer coaches which have the adjustable brake/fuel pedals? Our 03 [non-adjustable pedals with ATF fluid in hydraulics], brakes work well enough but always wished I had a bit more stopping power [recent brake fluid change provided marginal improvement]. Perhaps the 2" Vs 1.75" math is the same but not the newly identified replacement MC that probably isnt inter-changeable with 2003s and older MCs???
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #35

Scout- I'm not sure it won't work. The M.C. may have the same bolt flange & drive plate for the older thru-the-floor type as the 04+. Next time I'm at somebody's older rig, I'll check this out. Or else somebody can post a picture of their M.C. I know there is one someplace here on iRV2, but don't have time to look it up.

I'd be looking for M.C. casting matching that shown in post #13 above. The M.C. can be ordered with a thing called a remote-tank-plate or something like that, or with the plastic tank installed. Under-the-floor application may need the remote plate.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Don't know if this will help. From our 2000

My tank is on the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3997699181.png
Views:	142
Size:	818.3 KB
ID:	13934  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #37

Bingo. Tom's showing the aluminum Remote Tank Plate gizmo on top of the cast iron master cylinder. They still use the same or a very similar thing. The tank or plate are needed on MC assembly to do something inside the cylinder bore (i.e. some part projects down into the cylinder), and if you remove it you have to use some special fork tool to keep the cylinder insides in place for assembly. Said differently, if you remove the tank or plate, stuff inside won't just stabilize where needed, it shifts.

I thought it would be easier to just order the cylinder and re-use my tank, but after I suggested same, the seller said, Hmmm, I suppose I could sell you the tool also. 'Fergitit,' says I. Just send me the whole assembly.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #38

New M.C. arrived today from Power Brake Exchange, powerbrake-drivetrain Home Page (see link in post# 25 above). No part# info in box or on MC, and no identifiable manufacturer (my original 2" has Bosch cast in it to the right of the ports, and I think I can read 'Bendix' on another in a photo but due to casting irregularities its not real clear). MC has casting#2232543 which I can't find anywhere in the known world via searches I've done so far. Even including www.precisionrebuilders.com which appears to be able to offer the same MC according to their catalog online, p.2-18 (no price shown so you gotta call) if you can figure out which one to order as there are several; they may have a core charge which your 2" may satisfy, maybe.

Tank has 1/8"+ open slot between the two tank sectors cut to about 1/2 tank depth so filling either gallery will fill both, and has two caps, etc. per photo in post#13. Alum plate on bottom of plastic tank has 2232871 cast into it.

Precision Rebuilders' catalog shows an 84 c.i. tank which they call 'Late Design' (tall one per WRV OEM type) and 61c.i. tank called 'Early Design" which is the one on left of post#13 and like I got. P.R.'s catalog photo only shows the tank sensor divot in the Late tank, but I've got it in mine (no sensor tho and the divot isn't cut thru tot he tank contents). P.R. also labels the sensor between the two (front & Rear) ports as Brake Light Switch, tho I thought it was a Differential Switch. My new MC came w/a switch wired to the bolt flange (not installed), so I'll check it against the WRV installed switch/sensor to make sure I'm using the right gizmo. I did get a paper tag w/hand written "#2234928 1pc" on it. Have no idea how that squares w/the 2232543 in the casting or the 2230600 or 2230605 that Power Brake Exchange shows on their website as casting #'s. However, P.R.'s page 2-18 of catalog shows a "4928" ID# that has the 44.45mm, 9/16-18 & 1/2-20 ports, 61c.i. tank, switch, no reservoir switch, and labelled as a Ford application. That one looks like a match to me.

My cost w/shipping was $340, and I have to install it. Would rather have paid Redlands to swap it at their $399 special price, but I guess that's the price of living on the cutting edge.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
I will be interested to see how your coach feels after the master cylinder change. I assume that Al still has the upgraded brake pads on his, which means that he has 2 improvements to his. I did the change to the position of the post on the lever, which is serving me well, but like the master cylinder change approach better if it achieves the same improvement.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, i very much appreciate yours and the others contributions. following the desert rally last Jan, i had my brake system fully serviced including flushing and replacing the recommended synthetic brake fluid at Redlands Truck and RV with maybe a slight improvement. the brakes are still nowhere as good as our previous motorhome, a Winnebago Journey. the lack of effective braking sigificantly detracts from my enjoyment of travel. i am nowhere near as mechanically inclined as some of you guys so can you: specifically recommend exact steps to take to improve my braking, and secondly is there anyone in northwest Washington or Yakima, Wa where i could go to have the appropriate changes correctly made?
thank you all,
Dick Skeers
2004 36' fds
Bellingham, wa
dick skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Changing Brake MC

Engineer Mike, have you finished the MC change out? What were your results? Has anyone else tried it?
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #42

Haven't done the swap yet. Will bring the new cylinder to Qzite for Show & Tell.