Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Great Dave, I saw these tires at Indio. Was told we could not use on my 40ft. Alpine Apex. Do you have any idea why not. Chris (pathfinder)
chris cratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I had a flat on the right rear inside(ran over a “S” hook from a cargo strap) was able to limp 10 miles to the nearest turnout in Alaska. I couldn't do that with one rear tire. I'll pass on the single rear tire but I wish you success with yours.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chris:

The only reason I can think of is the diameter of the tire the 445/50 X 22.5 are the diameter as the 295/75 22.5 tires and the 11R tires on the Apex are a larger diameter. The X1 tire are load range L and rated at 10200 lbs each I do not know what the rear axle weight of the Apex is. The Michelin 455/55X22.5 tire has a 42 inch diameter and can carry 11000 per tire and should replace the 11R on the Apex.

I found that the ride is better with the X1 Michelins we have only been on one trip to the Phoenix Rally and we will heading to the Camp Verde AZ rally on the 14 of May. I am hopping to get a better idea on mileage by the end of the year. I do think that the Alpine pulled the grade out of Indio a little easier than before but only time will tell.

RJay my felling about a flat is what would you have done with a flat on the front, it would be the same for me on the rear. Pull over and wait, not much else we can do.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
mxi tires

Thanks dave, I find this interesting. Thanks for your investigating these tires and your purchase. You may have done all the rest of us a big favor with your pursuit of safer ways to travel. I will have to replace my tires by next year and am very excited by the options we now all have. Again Thanks and please keep me posted on your findings Chris Cratch
chris cratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Michelin X1

Dave,

Now that you have had the X1s for over 2 years, how do you like them? I will need to replace my rear tires soon (ageing out), so was wondering if you are satisfied, and if you would do the same thing again.

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The only blowout I've ever had on any rig ever was yesterday. Inner rear left dual. Torque multiplier came in handy to remove & re-install the duals.

The most useless thing in my tool kit appears to be our Good Sam "Platinum" roadside service. They sent a real yo-yo. I went and got a replacement tire; Ann located the shop to mount it; I took the lugs loose w/my tools. But the yo-yo did drive the wheel & tire to the shop to have it mounted. GS continually gave wrong instructions and burned up nearly 4 hours getting a solution mapped out that would work w/their "system" which you will note is in quotes & italicized.

Anyway, big bang, coach shook but not a bunch, then sound like reverb thru metalic springs. I pulled over & didn't find the trouble right away, sat back in the driver's seat & checked the SmartTire which was flashing & had the cutest faint beeping going in time w/the flash. LR inner dual read 1psi. Went back & checked it closely to find the rip where tread separated partly along second rib in from outside, then migrating to the upper sidewall, about 24" rip. GS didn't know sickum about 22.5" tires, where to get a traveler wheel/tire till Monday when everybody's open, so I went across town to Camping World & picked up a replacement & hauled it back. The yo-yo didn't show for another hour, and then didn't know what to do w/a non-mounted 22.5 tire. I'm guessing, but think the tread separation woulda been apparent from a closer inspection full circumference, say before a trip. No indication from the inside of the blown tire, just a flat spot in tread (that mighta been from the incident itself, but as I say I'm guessing woulda been mostly there some time before).

So Dave- you now have the only "pro-street" looking Alpine. I hope you have good luck, and can really do those 4-wheel slides better than before!!
Hi Mike
Ditto on Good Sam...Last Sunday we blew a RR tire, called GS,
we waited over 3 hrs no show and drove to LS, spent the night, and they replaced the rim and tire.
This will be my last year with GS!
Joe Darling
38.5 Alpine 400 ISL Jeep Liberty
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Would I do it again, Yes. I found that the X1 Michelins give a better ride overall I pick up about 4 tenths of a mile per gallon. In the change I also lost over two hundred pounds of un-sprung weight on the axel. When I went to change the brake fluid I also noticed that the Caliber and Rotor were exposed and in the air stream for better cooling. For me it was the right move I do not know if it is right for everyone.

I have had individuals tell me if you have a flat you are stuck and if they have one they can limp to the next exit or town. My answer is what happens if it is in the front your stuck just if I have one in the rear. We all hope we never have a flat, but Dodo happens.

We all hope that the towing insurance get there, before three hours. You are always asked if you are blocking traffic by the towing dispatcher and if I am asked I tell them “YES” because they put to the front of the line because you are a road hazard. You can also notify the local Police or State Police and let them know you are a possible road hazard they will send a unit and also contact a tow company and they will respond.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote