Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

My Alpine is 13 years old - Maintenance

Next year I'm due for a new set of tires. While I have the tires off what else should I consider?

Air springs/bags - Should I replace the four air springs/bags? I read someplace that the air springs are good for around 10 years. I would much rather replace something on my schedule than spend my vacation days waiting for an air spring to be replaced. My bags do have small cracks in the rubber.

Below are the part numbers for my air springs:
Firestone air suspension
Front W01-358-9039
Rear W01- 358-9482

(The correct air spring for the AD-200-7 rear suspension used on early coaches is safholland (Neway) 90557161, Triangle 8492, Firestone W01-358-9482. For some reason not many distributors stock them.)

Brakes - In 2006 when I purchase the Alpine, WRV replaced the brake calipers. Once the piston issue came to light I have been flushing the brake fluid every two years.

Thanks,
Tom

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

Air bags is a good PM chore at your age. Also, check the condition of the flexible brake lines that connect steel lines to the calipers; you can get steel braid replacements made locally most places (check w/a local NAPA or other locally owned parts shop).
Do brake maintenance (I think you have rail slide or pin slide brakes that take high temp silicone lube). Brake fluid replacement should be a 30 min chore w/the wheels off.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maintenance on an RV is like eating an elephant. It is big and you can't eat it all at once, Take one bite at a time. Prioritize repairs by having it inspected first, and then budget.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Good topic--brake and brake related issues are the most likely targets of opportunity while the wheels are off [eg, check: lines, pads, rotors]. Other things include: wheel bearing seals [replace?], bearings, front hub oil [replace], and shocks [replace].

Also as a reminder but not related to wheels-off --based on "your" age and depending on last check/changed: differential oil, engine coolant, hydraulic fluid, tranny fluid, HWH fluid?????, check all electrical connections [both 12 an120v][breaker and junction boxes], check for dirt in A/C coils [condensor and evap] for both roof tops and dash air. Engine stuff: turbo boost levels, boost leaks[pipe and CAC], turbo door arm lube. A lot of this is obvious--some not so much......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now the hard part begins...deciding which tires to get.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

If you don't have them you may want to consider adding mudflaps behind each wheel. I did that last year. I am sure you have read everyone's opinions on tires so I will resist the temptation to start that discussion up again. Check with major truck stops as they will usually pay you for your old tires while most dealers will not.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenberg View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. Now the hard part begins...deciding which tires to get.
Usually pretty easy choice for me - Michelin XRV. Last set I bought was via the FMCA discount program.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Usually pretty easy choice for me - Michelin XRV. Last set I bought was via the FMCA discount program.
Except they don't fit the Alpine Coach.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom; hope you are doing well. I would also look at changing the heater hoses it is a tough job but with the Alpine that is now 13 years old, I would put it on the top on list of things to do, it is on my list for my 01 this next year. I know I must drop the fresh water tank to get route the replacements and remove a section of the old hoses and empty the bays. I have not decided if I am going to silicon heater hose of rubber hose heater hose. The silicon hose will would not to be replaced again because they can last 20 years or more where rubber will have to replace again in roughly 10 years. It all depends on how long you want to keep the coach. The big difference is the cost, over $3.00 per foot for silicon. I would also replace the radiator hoses at the same time.

Do not forget to flush the brake fluid!
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
My other half wouldn't have anything except Michelin...and with the FMCA discount, I don't think you can go wrong. Get the best you can afford...
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Our Michelins are XZA2...whatever that means...I'm just a girl, so what do I know????
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

I recommend that any Alpine 2003 or earlier that hasn't previously done so to change out their brake light switch. These corrode & fail to light the brake lights, release the crosse control (& operate trailer or toad brakes where applicable). It's a Cole-Hersee part (part number available by search here on Alpine forum) you can order at local NAPA or online, and do on a pm basis.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Part of the purchase agreement on our coach was to split the cost on a new set of tires and after reading on the subject till my eyes crossed I went with a set of Bridgestones, I'll be starting my third year with them. The ride is a night and day difference from the Toyos. I must say that I read a lot of blogs on Mitchelins blow outs and having issues dealing with the company on replacing. Just saying
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Hi Jim

In what way are the Bridgestones like night and day!! Good or bad. I'm sure good but just checking as I have Toyos on still and they seem OK for me but I'm always looking for something better.

Geoff

Tags
maintenance