Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

My New 2006 Alpine Model 36FDDS

Hello Everyone!!

My wife and I just purchased this motor home on Nov. 5,2006.
We're newbies to Class A's. We did own a 38ft. Mountain Air 5th Wheel back in 2000, but boy, this is totally new to us. So many computers!!!

Since Friday I've been doing nothing but going over the coach trying to learn everything I can about it during the day and doing nothing but reading every manual (and boy are there a lot of them) during the evenings.
Right now I am so overwhelmed. There are so many things that are new to me and after reading all the manual's, I'm still like a deer in the headlights!
The biggest issue I'm concerned about is if the RS2000 Sine Wave Inverter/Charger is set-up correctly. I keep looking at the System control panel and can't find any information on how the diesel generator is suppose to be configured.
I have the coach plugged into 110v outlet feed from the garage right now.
But not sure everything is correct. Can't seem to run the A/C, heat pump, furance. Did get the hot water heater to work and water to flow through out the coach.
I really thought that it wouldn't be that difficult, but I'm really overwhelmed, any help with short-cuts, etc. would be helpful.
This web site's members have already been very helpful on an issue I have with the Bedroom slide-out creeping out while driving.
Again, any help would greatly be appreciated.

Roger
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #2

On the LED panel for the RS2k system, hit Enter, then down arrow to read the functions available. Either on the main menu, or on one of the aux menus you get from selecting a main menu item, you will find Power Share. For a 15 or 20A standard 110v outlet, you should be set to the minimum setting. That likely will preclude the battery charger from charging much, and there will be stuff in the coach that won't operate on the current available from a standard convenience outlet. When you get to a park w/50A power (or even 30) reset this upward to the proper setting.
You can do a "search" on this forum for more info on "Power Share."
Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Roger L.

If you don't have the Xantrex RS2000 manuals, you can download them at this link:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/40/p/d.../8/product.asp
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #4

Thanks Dale, We were able to download the mamual Sunday, But I'm still concern that I don't have it right. I reset everything to the system's default thinking I couldn't go wrong with that. The manual has nothing on the diesel generator.
Roger
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Thanks Mike, I did set this for 15 amps. and everything else at the system's default settings. I have the sustem's manual but can't fine anything on setting up the diesel generator.
Roger
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Roger L.

Try this link to download a copy of both the Automatic Generator Start Owners Guide and Users Guide. They are the 10th and 11th documents listed in the table:

Xantrex Technology Inc. - Document Library

It looks like the User Guide is an older manual. I think the Owners Guide is the current one for your coach.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Roger:

Your diesel generator is a Type 2 for Xantrex purposes. That will allow the control panel to properly prime, start, shut off and monitor the genset.

The other main part to configure is the battery bank. Set it to Flooded, Gel or AGM as is appropriate and to the correct Amp Hours (AH) as is indicated by the battery manufacturer (times the number of batteries). My six 6-volt AGMs are rated at 660 AH total. These settings will make sure your charger is properly charging your batteries.

Be sure to read the manual for the other options. Most are minor, but you will need to know how to adjust it for various camping situations.

Congratulations on you new toy!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #8

Morning Takepride, Thanks for the information. I'll check it today andmake sure it's set that. Any information on what to set the generator start to? What is the manual off, manual on? Or should it be set to the automatic setting?
p.s. It's getting cold here in Michigan, 31 degress right now, got to get all these issues resolved so we can head out to Tucson,Az.
Thanks again, Roger
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #9

As a new owner you will have lots of questions and this forum is a great source for getting answers--the forum's topic search function is a powerful tool for "exploring" your new coach. However, I'd recommend reaching out to an experienced owner here on the forum that has your same model year. There are a lot of good ideas and opinions on the forum, some of which will not apply to your model year...Good luck and welcome to the "adventures" of RVing.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Roger:

You can set the generator to AUTOMATICally start for various conditions, such as battery voltage too low, excessive load, call for air conditioning, exercise periods, etc. These are all explained in the manual. It will also explain how you can set QUIET TIMES or times when you don't want the genset to come on.

If you set it to MANUAL OFF it will only come on if you push the genset start button(s). If you set it to MANUAL ON it will start after a few seconds. To turn it off again you'll set to set is to MANUAL OFF, or push the genset start button(s).

After learning the manual you can set details like LOAD SENSE, POWER SHARE, charging functions like BULK, ABSORB and FLOAT. It will take some time and consideration of how you want things to function and how "automatic" you like it.

As Old Scout mentions, there are several threads on this subject. Just do a "Search" either on this forum or on one of the non-Alpine forums (for Xantrex issues). You will have many hours of reading (and hopefully enjoying) on many subjects. Most of us seem to start with the oldest threads and work forward. You'll learn more than most of the WRV techs ever knew.

A few other pointers:

Go to your profile (User CP) and modify your "Signature" to include your coach's year and length. It helps out on many of the responses you'll receive. See mine, below. Some folks add sayings or details that personalize their entries. You can also load an "avatar" or picture that will appear with your entries (like my dog on the left). After everything is set up, all will appear on each and every posting you make.

Join the Alpine Owner's Group on this forum. See Groups under networking (User CP).

Join the Alpine Coach Association (ACA), www.alpinecoachassociation.com, a Chapter of FMCA. You must first join FMCA; so go to www.fmca.com. You can also join subchapters of ACA based on regions of the country. The ACA website has lots of technical manuals, drawings, sales brochures, specifications and information on your coach and its various systems.

Enjoy your coach, and the forum!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #11

Morning Takepride, I'll take care of that today.
Thanks again
Roger
p.s. This morining it's 29 degress up here in Michigan, have to get all the bugs out and head west.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #12

Roger- Hope you'll join us @ Desert Rat Rally in late January in Quartzite AZ. Its a crash course in all things Alpine.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Roger,

On your "way" to AZ, you might want to stop at the Xantrex office in Elkhart, IN. I can't find our business card or remember whom we talked to when there, but their address is 541 Roske Dr., Elkhart, IN 46516. We've stopped there a couple of times and they've been very helpful checking out our unit and determing settings. They're just around the corner from the Cummins Onan Coach Care on Beck Dr., which is another place we use frequently for work on our Alpine. Good luck.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Roger,

Welcome to our Alpine Forum, and our Alpine family! Takepride & others have given you some really good information here. As for joining FMCA, if you are planning to do so, please let me know as I have some membership applications that will waive your first year's $35 dues. These must be used by the end of this year, and I'll gladly mail one to you...assuming it will catch you before you leave Michigan.

EngineerMike invited you to our annual rally in Quartzsite, AZ, and I will definitely endorse that. There are usually around 100 Alpines parked out in the desert for that rally, which this year is January 20 - 25. It is a great time, and you will definitey have lots of help with all of your Alpine questions. It will also give you the opportunity to test your rig out in a dry camping environment.

Depending on where you are just prior to that, we will also be caravaning into the FMCA Western Area rally in Indio, CA, to allow us to all park together. This would be a good intro to FMCA (on a smaller scale than the national rallies), as well as a chance to get to know a few Alpiners. We had 28 Alpines parked together there last January (including one from Michigan). The dates are January 5 - 10. I'm coordinating the caravan, so if you are interested, just let me know with a PM here. (If you haven't introduced yourself to this feature yet, PM is a Private Message. You can send one to me by just clicking on my name to the right.)

And, if you haven't gotten enough of Alpiners with all of that, our regional chapter is holding a rally in Las Vegas from February 12 - 15, and we'd love to have you join us. This is also one of my projects, so let me know if you have interest here.

I'm not much help with technical questions, but I can spout lots on rally goings on!

Again, welcome to our family!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote