Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Mystery Equipment

Today I was exploring in the basement to check on the fresh water tank drain pipe and slide valve (just curious). Behind a carpeted panel which hid the drain, I found this electrical/electronic piece of equipment. It's secured to the wall with two (2) velcro straps, and I haven't a clue as to what it is or what it does. Any input is appreciated. 2003 36' FDDS. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Equipment.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	21517  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Looks like the transponder device that detects if you remove the tags on your pillows!

Seriously, I don't have a clue.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Converter?
Inverter?
Battery charger?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
mystery equipment

Unplug it ....you will find out what it does!!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhubbert3 View Post
Today I was exploring in the basement to check on the fresh water tank drain pipe and slide valve (just curious). Behind a carpeted panel which hid the drain, I found this electrical/electronic piece of equipment. It's secured to the wall with two (2) velcro straps, and I haven't a clue as to what it is or what it does. Any input is appreciated. 2003 36' FDDS. Bruce
Looks like an Inverter....changes 12volt battery to 110 ac.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
could be control for auto levelors or unit for suround sound????????????
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #7

autofish wins the prize for the best guess--its the HWH control box for your slide and jack hydraulic. Thanks again to all those non-Alpine owners who participated in this week's Alpine test question--keep guessing [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Looks like the transponder device that detects if you remove the tags on your pillows!

Seriously, I don't have a clue.
Too funny.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

I'd like to thank all those who participated in this weeks Alpine Owner's "What In _ _ _ _ Is This" Trivia Contest.
And especially Judge Old Scout for his continued and unsurpassed support and expertise.

For his prize, Autofish will receive a lifetime subscription to HWH Technical Bulletins.

Look for the next contest coming soon to another newbie Alpine Coach owner.

Thanks again, Old Scout.

Bruce
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Now that's funny!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I recently spent the better part of a day trying to find the HWH control box to replace a fuse. I didn't realize that carpeted panel was removable and that was the last place I finally looked after tearing apart the entire front dash and checking frame rails from front to back over and over again looking for it. Lots of wasted space in that bin but it might be a good place to hide your gold bullion!!! Here's what mine looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hidden Bin Inside 2.jpg (59.4 KB, 137 views)
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
I recently spent the better part of a day trying to find the HWH control box to replace a fuse. I didn't realize that carpeted panel was removable and that was the last place I finally looked after tearing apart the entire front dash and checking frame rails from front to back over and over again looking for it. Lots of wasted space in that bin but it might be a good place to hide your gold bullion!!! Here's what mine looks like:
Of COURSE it was the LAST place you looked --- would have been foolish to keep looking after you found it!!

Even the best wiring diagrams for these rigs never tells you WHERE the components are. It is truly an adventure whenever a fuse blows or something malfunctions!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Alpiners--rdownward's photos provide a great opportunity to visualize a useful mod for older Alpines that have the large fresh water dump pipe and blade-valve [activated by t-handle]. Two long-standing issues with older Alpine fresh water tanks are: 1] the vent pipes tend to siphon water if tank is filled too full, and 2] the 12v pump draws water from the side of the tank so quite a bit of water is left in the tank once the pump draws air. Perhaps 20% of our 100 gal fresh water capacity is not useable because of these two issues.

There are a variety of solutions for the siphon problem--see posts on this forum. The solution I came up for the side-draw issue is to install a threaded tee between the blade dump valve and the bottom of the tank [1-1/2x1/2x1-1/2]. Then plug the side draw opening on the tank and reroute the pump feed line to the 1/2 opening on the new tee [use PEX to extend feed line]. You also need to shorten the 1-1/2 dump pipe below the blade valve. Rerouting the feed line to the tee allows you to get all the water out of the tank.

PS--some folks will raise the front of the coach via the jacks to get a bit more water to the back of the tank--think I like the tee solution better.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #14

Old Scout,

I installed the SeeLevel II tank gauges years ago, and found that my tank runs out at 11% due to the side pickup. (The SeeLevel model I have alternates between 3 and 4% increments as it fills/drains.) Fortunately the side water pickup point is close to where the tank gauge sensor is located, so the empty point stays consistent with the reading regardless of the coach angle.

However I found that I lost >30% of my filled tank to the siphon problem you mentioned. Once I fixed that, I didn't figure the final 11% is that important now. If I can't live on 90 gallons, another 11 is not going to matter much. But we don't dry camp that often. It is very nice to know that the water will run out at 11%, not just "sometime" after the 1/4 full light goes out! I have found the SeeLevel gauges to be worth every penny for that reason alone. We can nurse the final gallons if needed.

But if that 11% is important, your method to fix it is very useful!! Thanks for sharing it.