Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #1

We're on our way to Homecoming and pulled into a Flying J this afternoon in Provo, Utah. 30 miles later I smelled diesel when we got off the freeway. Called Flying J, no luck. Can anyone tell me what kind of cap I used to have? I probably can find one if I'm able to describe what I need. Time is of the essence.
Thanks all,

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #2

We're on our way to Homecoming and pulled into a Flying J this afternoon in Provo, Utah. 30 miles later I smelled diesel when we got off the freeway. Called Flying J, no luck. Can anyone tell me what kind of cap I used to have? I probably can find one if I'm able to describe what I need. Time is of the essence.
Thanks all,

Old 09-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chris:

Sorry that you lost your fuel cap. I check mine and the only numbers on were "SAE PA66" I hope this helps.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #4

Chris,

I did the same thing in Flagstaff. Fortunately I have duel fuel entry and took the second one into a parts store and matched it. I had the same numbers on my original one as Dave gave you, but I never found any cross-reference with those numbers on it. I am not at my coach, so I can't tell you what the new cap number is. I hopefully can tomorrow afternoon, but I hope you get an answer before then. Sorry.

Jim A
'04 36' MDDS
Old 09-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,
Sorry you lost your fuel cap. You said you made it 30 miles, that should put you close to Salt Lake City. I live in Salt Lake City and can buy lots of parts wholesale. If you need my help, please call me at 801-277-2700. I could take mine off so we could match it.

Also going to homecoming but not this early.
Dan Richins
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 09-15-2005, 05:14 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

I may be too late but I got mine replaced at a Pep Boys, or another chain auto store. I just tried a couple. Lost mine a Flying J too, something is up at Flying J
Old 09-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #7

You can drill a small hole in the finger blade part of the (new) cap, run a wire thru it & tie on a chain & hook. Hook the cap to something that will hold it safely when you close the gen slide (i.e. not smash it or break part of the coach). Then when you smell diesel, you can pull over, wipe up the mess & reinstall the cap that's still hooked to the coach.
I did this to my 5th fuel cap for my last coach. I didn't do it to the first 4; I stoopid.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #8

Had the same thing happen to us on the way to Yosemite. Stopped at Flying J outside Visilia and filled up. Smelled diesel fuel in Fresno....knew right away what I forgot...stopped opened Gen slide and there was cap sitting on top of generator. It was either my smooth driving or the Peak chassis ride that kept it there. I was lucky.

Mike
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #9

JimA- Did you add the dual fill? I see on mine the flat for the filler meck & cap, but it isn't there, and I don't recall seeing dual fill on the WRV options list. Mike
Old 09-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #10

Mike,

Nope, the dual fuel filler was a standard item on my coach. From what I remember, some models had it, and some didn't. Mine is the mid door, so maybe it is only on the mid door models.

My coach is at the dealer, so I have not been able to check the part number on the replacement cap yet. Sorry if you are still breathing diesel fumes, Chris.

Jim A
'04 36' MDDS
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #11

The dual fuel fillers are only on the mid door models. The front door step well prevents this option on the front door models.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:09 PM   #12

Thanks everyone.
I found a match at Car Quest. I have to call the factory on Monday to determine in the cap should be vented or not. For now,the CarQuest cap numbers are 34057 and 34058 (not vented). Hope nobody needs these numbers, the fumes are quite strong.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #13

For those who forget their fuel caps, the Alpine Coach uses a vented GM cap. Good idea to carry a spare.