Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #15

The only think I keep real track of is fuel mileage.
The rest is the cost of having fun and like others have said we like sleeping on our own sheets evey night.

I should add that I don't care what the milage is as much as if there is a change indicating that there's a problem.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #16

A number of years ago I decided to buy a Silverleaf JIB and the VMSpc software. (It has now been replaced by the BlueFire app.) Probably the FIRST thing I saw on the VMSpc program when I got it working was the total fuel used number, at the time about 12,000 gallons. I have no reason to believe it is not accurate. Try multiplying that number by the diesel fuel price in California! That fuel used number is now over 16,000, so it didn't stop me.

The BlueFire app developer volunteered to add a gauge where I could put in the fuel price and it would give me a running total cost as I drove down the road. And even subtract it from my bank account balance as I drive. I declined the offer.

I don't keep track of the cost of using or repairing my coach with a spreadsheet or anything of that nature. It is what it is. I see the numbers on the fuel pump when filling up. I see the cost of the RV parks when we camp. I see the repair bills. I just do a very quick comparison in my head of those numbers and compare it to how much I am enjoying the lifestyle. If the ratio changes, I will sell it. Until then and as long as there are a few bucks in the bank account, I will keep using it.

And unlike Paul, I bought my coach new.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post

I should add that I don't care what the milage is as much as if there is a change indicating that there's a problem.

I track the fuel mileage using BlueFire for each fuel run for the same reason. Just to see if there is an unexplained change in it.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

My truck, and most of my cars, show ongoing mileage constantly.

I find that can be a good/bad habits indicator. Many common driving mistakes also reduce efficiency. Smooth, gentle moves and easy hill climbs are good for you, your vehicle and those around you!

We also track nights and rough total miles, for maintenance purposes. The rest? 🙈🙉🙊
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Experience is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I decided to build a spreadsheet and track what we have dollarwise in our coach since buying it 2 years ago.

I have a separate sheet to track maintenance and costs, this one is just the upgrades we have made, most of them were planned and many of the projects certainly got much bigger as we got into them......you know the "As long as I'm doing this I Might as well"

In our case we now have an amazingly competent electrical/battery/solar system that will run EVERYTHING in the coach including both rooftop AC units.

We also upgraded all the electronics, added residential refer, replaced all window coverings, floors, counters and revamped the cabinets to a much more modern standard.

Even with all these upgrades we still have much less in this amazing coach than we would have spent on even the cheapest Class A Gasser if we just bought something off a dealer lot.

In any case , just wondering how many of you actually keep track of such things or if ignorance is bliss.......Hmmmmmm

I owned a rather nice boat before purchasing my RV so I know that keeping track of expenses is self defeating.

Although I do save the receipts.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I had not kept a written record but remember the big ticket items. If I think about it I would be too depressed to use the coach..

Prior to virus I was planning on new tires, already bought a new TPMS, all new filters and oil yada yada yada.

It is what it is, you can't take it with you (at least I ain't planning to)!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post

I owned a rather nice boat before purchasing my RV so I know that keeping track of expenses is self defeating.
It's been said that buying a motorhome to save money on travel is like buying a boat to save money on fish. That math just doesn't work.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP has a nice RV for sure.

We do not really track running expenses. I'll do a best estimate for a new project to schedule when I can afford to do it. Once done it's time to enjoy it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post

Although I do save the receipts.
Funny and appreciated.

I actually owned 5 different airplanes in the 30 years leading up to buying an RV and I hate to say it but everytime I do something to the RV, compared to the airplane...........I feel like I'm stealing
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
I do keep a spreadsheet on all our vehicles - date, expenditure, cost & odometer. Not to get a grand total, cause...well... But rather, so that I know when I did some repair or other and how much it cost. I have found having that info easily available for reference to be handy.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Funny and appreciated.

I actually owned 5 different airplanes in the 30 years leading up to buying an RV and I hate to say it but everytime I do something to the RV, compared to the airplane...........I feel like I'm stealing
I envy your record keeping detail and wish I could be as accurate.

I have raced cars most of my adult life and have been married for 35 yrs next month. If you enjoy what you are doing, the money is not that big a deal. I have never had a great deal of money, but I have taken care of my family and we have had a GOOD TIME. We have had RV's, Boats, Race Cars and nice vacations.

As long as the bills are paid, what difference does it make? I am working fixing up what I hope is my wife and I's last RV and finishing my fastest racecar at the same time. Just wish there was more time to enjoy the fun!
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #26

The only thing I budget for is fuel and then when coming short of what was expected I buy ammo with the balance ��
Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Record keeping would be required if you use the coach for business purposes.
I would like to ask the audience two thoughts stemming from this string of posts:

1- What are your thoughts about renting the coach when not being used?

2- What are your thoughts about incorporating in Montana that I have heard so much about?
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post

1- What are your thoughts about renting the coach when not being used?
I will NEVER rent the coach.