RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #43

I keep track for fun since 1987
I count all expenses except register, ins, gas, Rv parks. My goal is $10 per used night. My buddy bought a new dp when I bought a nice used gas years ago. I hit my ten dollars when sold for ten thousand. His around $80.
The cost for parks, gas, registration, and insurance is much more.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #44

I'm guessing that an RV is only the 3rd most expensive hobby vehicle.

Probably the 2nd most expensive one is a boat, and ... it's highly likely that an airplane is the most expensive.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #45
mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
Ever since the internet went live I've been to thousands of sites where people are obsessed with fuel milage. I've always though what a waste of thought to be worried about something like fuel mileage.

Am I the only one that gets in my stuff, turns the key on goes to where I was set to go and turn the key off and enjoy where I'm at?

I have as much spare time as the next guy but I spend my time staring at a camp fire or watching leaves fall from a tree. If I really want to use up my spare time I'll sit by a river and stare at the water running by. You will NEVER EVER catch me making a spread sheet for anything, least of all fuel milage of every dime I ever spend on things.
That was my same outlook for budgets. Budgets are nothing more that a guessing game that has no common sense involved. Budgets are a guessing game saying how much will you sell in the FUTURE. Bwhahahahahahhaha no one can predict the future but yet they want you to.
My advice stop tracking life and start ENJOYING life!

Absolutely.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #46

Without divulging numbers, is there any chance you could show an example of the format of your spreadsheet?
ROVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #47

Spreadsheet crazy

I have always kept a spreadsheet on expenses for all my vehicles. If nothing else it is great to have if you ever sell it, but more than that it gives me a means of checking when and what work was done. From maintenance to improvements it an important sheet for me.
Photo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #48

Life is short..... Stay happy & healthy & enjoy yourself..... Never wanted to know how much the toys cost....
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #49

I just keep track of model numbers, serial numbers and service dates in Excel. Track total trip mileage in another worksheet. I am not concerned about operating costs. I am a retired CPA that just wants to enjoy life.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #50

Yes, I'll confess to also being a glutton for punishment. The true purpose was to time/odometer-track all maintenance & additions/modifications. While I was at it I added columns for costs. I'll say I'm encouraged to see that what I've done at my option is a significant portion of the total. Especially since some of that is the cost of items I keep as back-ups (fuel filters, oil filters, cabinet hardware, all fluids, led lighting, ignition switch, fuses, and on and on. Still, I can also appreciate the "ignorance is bliss" concept.
HPbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #51

Track every $

We actually went one step further. We use an App to track every dollar we spend, if I buy a chocolate bar from the vending machine it goes into the App.

Tons of benefit came from this. First of all we became far more aware of where we were spending our dollars and learned to make wiser choices without actually having any negative impact on our life. Our personal experience was a difference year over year measured in the thousands of dollars in expenditures. Hard to believe but I have the receipts to back it up.

The second benefit was that we knew exactly what we were spending on the motorhome lifestyle. I spent 54 days in my RV last year at a cost roughly equivalent to 3 weeks at an all inclusive resort. For me that very much validated our expenditure. I enjoy every day on the RV and know my vacation dollars are providing me with good value.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #52

OH HECK NO!!! My checkbook does a fine job of this. We compared RV'ing to a vacation home. Nope!!! Hotels... not the ones that my wife would stay in! This is a costly form of rec. but the memories ohhh the memories. Would not trade it to have all the dollars back with interest. And after 22 years of doing this plus the $250K spent on our 3 5th wheels (1996 used HitchHiker Premier 36', 2004 Teton Grand Sundance 39' and our current Arctic Fox 29-5t) it has been worth every headache and dollar spent. The Alaska trips alone were a lifetime of memories. Most likely this one will be my last but you never know. I want to RV until I find the the dirt side flowerbed!!! The total spent is absolutely unimportant to me!!!
Old 10-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #53

I just have a book and log ,date, mileage or hours and what’s was done.. I try to fix everything that breaks now and not push off repairs. After 10 months of owning this coach I got it under control, now it’s getting time for its yearly maintenance oil $ filter and such.... owning a Dp is probably the most expensive sport I have done, a close second would be Snowmobiles with transport , fuel, meals and lodging.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #54

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVI View Post
Without divulging numbers, is there any chance you could show an example of the format of your spreadsheet?
This is my spread sheet with most of my Info cleaned off. Some of the pages are protected though there is no password to un-protect them. Hopefully I attached it right. Enjoy, Ed

Sorry, I can't seem to attach the spread sheet. PM me and we can try that way. Might be a FireFox problem.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
The only think I keep real track of is fuel mileage.
The rest is the cost of having fun and like others have said we like sleeping on our own sheets every night.

I should add that I don't care what the mileage is as much as if there is a change indicating that there's a problem.
Pretty much describes what I do.

After we bought the coach I quickly learned that we would need an ongoing source of money to actually use it. We didn't plan on just camping in our driveway. I was able to rearrange our finances so we have all we need and haven't looked back.

I hear that a boat is a hole in the water where you throw money. Is that the reason motorhomes are called "land yachts"?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a spreadsheet to track repairs and maintenance.

fuel and stuff NO
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote