RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
We’ve owned our 2000 Brave for over 11 years and I’ve kep a spreadsheet from day one. At the end of each year I do a summary of costs and cost per mile. For maintenance, gas, repairs, and miscellaneous expenses. I also track cost of parks, groceries, and meals out. It takes about 15 minutes a day. I used to work out of the RV so there was a tax reason for the records, but I really don’t do that anymore. I still keep the records because I like to know.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #58

We just try to spend all the money that pours in every month.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #59

What size inverter did you install that it can run both A/C units?
The Glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #60

Exclamation Cost of RV'ing.

I don't have your patience or expertise but I have always felt, through our ten years and 200,000 miles of being "pushed" around North America, that it was costing us dollarwise. I now have proof: Since parking the 2006 Journey 36G, my bank account allows me to buy anything I want and I still have lots of bucks to spare. It's a good feeling. I guess some memories just cost more than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I decided to build a spreadsheet and track what we have dollarwise in our coach since buying it 2 years ago.

I have a separate sheet to track maintenance and costs, this one is just the upgrades we have made, most of them were planned and many of the projects certainly got much bigger as we got into them......you know the "As long as I'm doing this I Might as well"

In our case we now have an amazingly competent electrical/battery/solar system that will run EVERYTHING in the coach including both rooftop AC units.

We also upgraded all the electronics, added residential refer, replaced all window coverings, floors, counters and revamped the cabinets to a much more modern standard.

Even with all these upgrades we still have much less in this amazing coach than we would have spent on even the cheapest Class A Gasser if we just bought something off a dealer lot.

In any case , just wondering how many of you actually keep track of such things or if ignorance is bliss.......Hmmmmmm
lpmobilewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #61

Log maintenance

I have a spreadsheet date, sort code, source, part, $$$. Very beneficial when replacing, repairing, especially at selling unit. The sort code is anything works for you use numeric field permits grouping items associated with each project: electrical, mechanical, maintenance, custom improvements. Interesting and helpful when calling problems solvers having information/part numbers on laptop.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Boats, RVs, collector vehicles, Jeeps, motorcycles, hot rods and all the tools to service them, so yeah, never add up those receipts or it may ruin the enjoyment. My vote is for ignorance. After all, you can't take it with you, so do whatever makes you happy.
I enjoy tinkering and upgrading things to make them better than originally built.
This
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #63

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glampers View Post
What size inverter did you install that it can run both A/C units?
Dual Victron 24/3000 watt inverters and 8 105Ah LiFePO4 batteries
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #64

"Life is short..... Stay happy & healthy & enjoy yourself..... Never wanted to know how much the toys cost...."

Yeah, I agree with that. When we approached twice what coach was worth I stopped keeping track. It can be upsetting but we used our older MH many weekends this season and had tons of fun. How do you put a value on fun? At least we dont have monthly payments on the 'ol girl!
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
I seem to be the odd woman out here. Since we started fulltiming in our 37' Newmar Dutch Star in 2009, I have kept a spread sheet of every expense associated with the motorhome (excludes things we'd spend no matter where we lived, like food, clothes, medical expenses, etc). When we downsized to our Newmar 28' Bay Star Sport, I continued that practice. I am a naturally organized/fact oriented person, and enjoy knowing where my money is going! Here are my summary numbers - each line has a worksheet with the raw data:

Fulltime in the Dutch Star (July 2009-Oct 2018):
Motorhome Expenses - excluding initial setup and all other living expenses
MH Miles driven: Average MPG:
Diesel $35,330 88533 8.16
Tolls $317
Propane $869
Insurance $15,087
RV Parks/Rallies $67,666
Maint/Improve $50,779
License fees $2,697
Mail forward $1,608

TOTAL $174,353

Per month 1,571
Per year 18,849

I use the same format for the Bay Star Sport, which we travel in about 3 months of the year and for short trips, mostly to rallies, the rest of the year. Our monthly expense has averaged $920, annual $11035.

As you can see, this amount is probably less than one would spend on a sticks and bricks.

Safe and happy travels to all!
2019 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702 NKK#19080
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #66

If you keep a spreadsheet with all your costs, and when you want to sell your RV, and you show your spreadsheet to every interested buyer, do you think you will ever sell your RV?
H Steinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntep View Post
I seem to be the odd woman out here. Since we started fulltiming in our 37' Newmar Dutch Star in 2009, I have kept a spread sheet of every expense associated with the motorhome (excludes things we'd spend no matter where we lived, like food, clothes, medical expenses, etc). When we downsized to our Newmar 28' Bay Star Sport, I continued that practice. I am a naturally organized/fact oriented person, and enjoy knowing where my money is going! Here are my summary numbers - each line has a worksheet with the raw data:

Fulltime in the Dutch Star (July 2009-Oct 2018):
Motorhome Expenses - excluding initial setup and all other living expenses
MH Miles driven: Average MPG:
Diesel $35,330 88533 8.16
Tolls $317
Propane $869
Insurance $15,087
RV Parks/Rallies $67,666
Maint/Improve $50,779
License fees $2,697
Mail forward $1,608

TOTAL $174,353

Per month 1,571
Per year 18,849

I use the same format for the Bay Star Sport, which we travel in about 3 months of the year and for short trips, mostly to rallies, the rest of the year. Our monthly expense has averaged $920, annual $11035.

As you can see, this amount is probably less than one would spend on a sticks and bricks.

Safe and happy travels to all!
Right.

The last house I sold tripled in value over 14 years, which allowed me to move to another market and pay cash for another house, which has roughly doubled in value over the past 10 years.

What do you think the MH will be worth in 10 years?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #68

9.25 per mile driven In last 2 years on 4 year old RV
Tmauceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Right.

The last house I sold tripled in value over 14 years, which allowed me to move to another market and pay cash for another house, which has roughly doubled in value over the past 10 years.

What do you think the MH will be worth in 10 years?
I can tell you what mine was worth after 10 years and 110K miles. 20%. Worst thing that I ever did financially. Buying an RV one or two years old is the smart way to do it financially. A big chunk of depreciation is out of the way and most of the new RV(MH is OK but never "Coach") bugs were worked out by the previous owner or he got tired of the constant hassles dealing with the RV dealer trying to fix all the bugs and dumped it. OR, he traded it for another new one and started all over again.

RVs are a constant hassle and rarely will everything work properly at the same time. But, they sure are a whole lot better than dragging suit cases in and out of hotels, throwing money away in restaurants, and they allow you to see and do things that could never be done otherwise.

Money wise. RVs are as bad as boats(like the 3 fs which ends with "RENT IT") and financially make no sense at all. But, they sure are a lot of fun. The first few years will be a hassle but if you do your own work you save a ton of money and are not stuck in a RV dealership lot for weeks at a time. I traded my fancy, swirly paint, Amer Trad which depreciated by 80%, for a truck conversion which is a lot easier to maintain with far fewer problems and can be serviced quickly and easily at most any truck stop. Huge engine that easily handles Mtns that the weak 400HP DP struggled with. It is much more stable on the road and does not wallow like a pregnant whale but it is noisier and more difficult to maneuver because of the much larger turn radius but that is off topic like most of my post.

A house cannot be compared to an RV. The RV will never stop depreciating no matter what. A house might appreciate or at least will not tank as fast as the RV.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #70

Red face

When I die, I pray that my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Dave Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote