Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
New 12 volt Cooling unit for dometic ndr 1292

Our absorption cooling unit went out from our dometic ndr 1292 refrigerator after 19 years of service. So I was in the dilemma of replace with the same technology or upgrade to a compressor fridge.

I could have replaced the same absorption unit but I wanted to eliminate the risk of the propane refrigerator. The other option was convert to a residential fridge but the thought of trying to get the fridge in and out of the motorhome and the cabinet modifications didn't sound fun. Another option was to get a new Norcold side by side 12 volt compressor fridge but when I looked at the price that option was quickly removed from the table (~$7,000)

I decided to go with a 12 volt compressor conversion from jc-refrigeration. So far their service has been outstanding and they have great install videos and guides to walk you through the whole process.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...lacement-unit/

So far this unit seems to get to temp much quicker and cools much more evenly.

With our stock battery bank of 6 - 6 volt battery they project that we can run for 40-45 hours before needing to recharge our batteries if we are dry camping. Obviously this time would change if we are using other power draws on the system. We typically run our generator for several hours a day when we are dry camping so I don't think this will change until I install a solar array and lithium batteries.

So far the only draw back I have found is that the compressor is louder then the absorption cooling unit which is virtually silent.

I just wanted to share this option in case anyone else is in this predicament.

Happy Glamping!

Moorpark, CA
work2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2play View Post
Our absorption cooling unit went out from our dometic ndr 1292 refrigerator after 19 years of service. So I was in the dilemma of replace with the same technology or upgrade to a compressor fridge.

I could have replaced the same absorption unit but I wanted to eliminate the risk of the propane refrigerator. The other option was convert to a residential fridge but the thought of trying to get the fridge in and out of the motorhome and the cabinet modifications didn't sound fun. Another option was to get a new Norcold side by side 12 volt compressor fridge but when I looked at the price that option was quickly removed from the table (~$7,000)

I decided to go with a 12 volt compressor conversion from jc-refrigeration. So far their service has been outstanding and they have great install videos and guides to walk you through the whole process.

With our stock battery bank of 6 - 6 volt battery they project that we can run for 40-45 hours before needing to recharge our batteries if we are dry camping. Obviously this time would change if we are using other power draws on the system. We typically run our generator for several hours a day when we are dry camping so I don't think this will change until I install a solar array and lithium batteries.

So far the only draw back I have found is that the compressor is louder then the absorption cooling unit which is virtually silent.

Happy Glamping!
Time for Lithium..... Just sayin'
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2play View Post

Happy Glamping!
We have a Momentum Toy Hauler that came with the Norcold 2118....4 door model that is 18 cu. ft. and just had JC Refrigeration convert ours over to the twin 12VDC compressors two days ago....Tuesday. Withing 2 1/2 hours of being turned on, we had 5° in the freezer and 34° in the fresh food compartment....and that is on a large 18 cu. ft. fridge. After 4 hrs of being turned on, 32 in the fresh section and -2° in the freezer. I had to turn the fresh food section to a lower (warmer) setting as it was just TOO cold.

JC provided a clean install, craftsman workmanship, and a product that has totally transformed my pretty much useless Norcold into a fully functional great working refrigerator again. We drove there and let them install it, and when the guy tells you, be back in an hour and a half to two hours....he's not kidding....two hours from start to finish and the unit running/cooling.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, cooling, dometic