RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #15

Tim,

If you're planning another business trip to the lower 48, please bring your wife and her tools. I have two flooring jobs she can do while you take care of business.

The new flooring looks great! Thanks for posting the work in progress reports.

Brett,
Like your creative solution for installing flooring under seat mounts.

Gene
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Gene,

Yes, gives the illusion that the seats are mounted on the floor, but still allows full floating of the flooring.

This is critical to avoid gapping in the flooring or buckling from the normal contraction/expansion of floating floors.

Same for quarter round NOT affixed to the flooring, but to the wall.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Tim, If you're planning another business trip to the lower 48, please bring your wife and her tools. I have two flooring jobs she can do while you take care of business.
Gene, a lot of love went into this floor project. I will pass on the compliment … thank you
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Please post a picture, if you can, of the skid, roller, skateboard wheel, or what ever you used to raise the aft end of the slide to prevent damage to the new flooring.
Gene, here is a recent picture with the rollers installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Wheels.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	207976
Old 11-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #19

AKone: Your detailed post has me thinking about my floor again.

Do you have a "flat floor?" By HWH?

I have an 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD with a HWH "flat floor" and the reason I have not "pulled the trigger" is because so many people have complained about their new vinyl floor (or wood floor) getting scratch by the 6" roller and/or something called a "glide-shoe."

I noticed you installed rollers, which sounds great, but those roller you used seems sooo... tall! So I don't know if I can go that route. Specifically, I would like to know how you determined the right roller height for your floor?

Also, I would like to remove my kitchen tiles so I can run new vinyl flooring from the front to the bedroom, but in my coach I fear I will run into slideout problems if those metal rollers (under my slide) don't have tile to roll on.

Whatever additional comments you can share for those of us with "zero edge floors" will be appreciated.

PS
I was thinking I could add a metal 20' transition strip... and then use carpet under my couch... with a 2" overlay that will cover the transition strip. And in the kitchen you will see they already have a vinyl cover strip. However, I still like the idea of adding wheels like you did for added stability. IF I CAN?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160929_095152 - Copy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	267773  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #20

Wow. Great job.
This project is in my future plans.
Can you give more of a explanation of the wheels /skid?
How did you establish the wheel/caster size?
Brianna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
AKone: Do you have a "flat floor?" By HWH?
If you can zoom the first picture I posted, my Alpine does not have a flat floor slide – the slide floor is a platform and the kitchen cabinetry is built on the platform Sorry, I don’t have any advise since I do not have experience with flat type of slide floor.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I noticed you installed rollers, which sounds great, but those roller you used seems sooo... tall! So I don't know if I can go that route. Specifically, I would like to know how you determined the right roller height for your floor?
I was able to remove the original shoe/skid from inside bottom of the kitchen cabinet and measure the height. The rollers and the mount I built were made to that measurement. It seems many of these types of projects are "figure it out as you go."
Old 12-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Wow. Great job.
This project is in my future plans.
Can you give more of a explanation of the wheels /skid?
How did you establish the wheel/caster size?
In addition to my previous post, I roamed the big box stores looking for high weight capacity rubber type wheel that would not leave black marks on the floor, that where about the right height. The plywood I mounted the wheels to would be shimmed as needed to achieve the correct height measurement. But, the shoe/skid I replace with wheels is 1999 Alpine Coach specific. You have to explore what scheme was used on your coach ... even if it is an Alpine. I had to lay on the floor with a light and mirror to look at the underside of the cabinet and open up the kitchen cabinet to figure out how the kitchen cabinets slid over the floor.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 AM   #24

AkOne: Thank you for clarifying.

And now that I read your posts more thoroughly and this time I caught credits due to your wife. That's so great! You both did a great job. Thank you for sharing.

I now I think I understand... you added wheels under the cabinet in place of the carpet shoe. ...But how long was this "shoe?" Did it run the entire length of the slide or just in the kitchen area?

How do you access it? Was it visible from under the slideout? ...From the outside?

I circled the place I think you added the wheels. Can you verify this?

My "flat floor" has a 7' PLASTIC "glide shoe" - strip underneath the large slide and it's only about 3/8" tall. This shoe "steadies" the slide as it moves in and out (by adding drag is my guess) and it was not designed to support weight.

The problem is when you want to add wood or vinyl floors, because this Winnebago plastic "glide shoe" has been known to scratch new wood and/or vinyl floors.

The solution is to replace the plastic glide shoe with a carpet shoe. However, this is difficult for most people. I am still trying to understand it myself.

And to the best of my knowledge, only Winnebago in Forest City, IA is willing to replace the plastic glide show with a carpet glide shoe. ...But maybe someone else will let us know where they got their carpet glide shoe installed in their Itasca/Winnebago?

AkOne: Your floors look good. Please post finished photos of your steps and bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Raised Floor Kitchen Cabinet 2 with circle.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	268432  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 AM   #25

Imprsd,

I'm not AKOne but I have an Alpine like his and am familiar with his roller solution.
The place you identified in the picture is NOT the location of the rollers.
The rollers were installed below the cabinet at the far end of the kitchen.
You can see the flexible kitchen sink drain line in his picture inside the cabinet.

There is a fixed skid pad attached to the floor below the cabinet you identified. The slide rides on top of the pad and does not touch the finished floor at this location so there is no need for rollers.

Hope that helps.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:59 AM   #26

Thanks for clarifying the picture I posted with the red circle is not correct.
So I am posting a new picture with a purple circle (under the sink area) where the "OP" added those wheels.

...And while I have an HWH "Flat Floor" in my coach, I did get some good ideas about how to come-up with a "work-around" solution to my glide shoe concerns. Thank you for posting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Raised Floor Kitchen Cabinet 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	268655  
Old 12-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Imprsd, I'm not AKOne but I have an Alpine like his and am familiar with his roller solution.
Gene, thank for helping out and clarifying. These older Alpine slides only had one point of contact with the finished floor, the far left of the U shaped kitchen (as you pointed out). After a year and half of use, the rollers have worked with no problems, no scratches or scuffs.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:56 PM   #28

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing all your nice work.
I am planning the same update and you confirmed my fears about how well the factory laminate flooring is glued down.

Now that you have been through it and you know what to expect, if you did it again, would you attack the old floor the same way or would you do it differently?
Brianna is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor