RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #43

Thank you for sharing all you learned.
Hopefully, when I get my floor updated I will have a new construction tip to pass it forward.
Brianna is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #44

Hey Brianna I think this will help you.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Wow, CarynsDream, that is a beautiful remodel/update!!!
I love the metal roll up draining rack. I saw that on an RV at a dealer and just thought it was the coolest thing.
Since you guys are from the flooring biz, maybe you can educate me. I have installed quite a bit of nice and not-so-nice laminate and vinyl flooring in houses I have remodeled over the years. I carefully followed the instructions for expansion gaps and never had any issues or call backs.
I always wondered what the hierarchy of factors was.
•climate
•expanse of the room
•wear patterns
•heavy furniture
•etc
My hunch is that in an rv, which is both small and vibrating/flexing all the time, that you don't need to float the floor--and as you guys decided, use a flexible adhesive.
I was also curious about your experience with the home depot LVP. Usually one has cupping or detachment along the length of a plank if there is a problem--not the butt ends.
I just installed the thick "life proof" vinyl from home depot in my daughters basement and as I was putting it down I was so impressed with the butt joints being so precise and almost seamless.
I also love your radiant idea, but I wonder if that will affect the tightness of the joints over time.
Thanks for sharing, and if you have any more insider scoops I would love to hear them.

Hey Brianna,
You sound like you have plenty of prior experience with LVP. We owned tile & granite floors so we understood and have experience with floor demo & prep as well as electric floor warming systems. We are in real estate and deal with a lot of passive investors so we had to create a construction crew and subs that has allowed us to renovate/remodel /update well over a 100 homes. LVP has been the flooring of choice, especially in rentals & Flips. Our experience has been, generally speaking, your big box flooring choices are great for rentals or flips but not on the level you need for a moving vehicle. It is not just the thickness, it is the material they use in manufacturing. Spend the extra money for the quality. It might cost a couple hundred dollars more but it is money well spent. You don't want to do this job twice. As far as special considerations for an RV I would look to the higher quality higher mil product. These products don't tend to be susceptible to issues with •climate •expanse of the room •wear patterns •heavy furniture •etc. They are better configured for floor heat and all but eliminate the joint issues you had concerns about. You are able to focus on the installation details specific to your coach like slide clearances and floor heat. You are installing it in an Alpine which is considered to be one of if not the best driving smoothest coach on the road. The long wheelbase Peak chassis and weight distribution makes it a much different animal to drive. Even with that said the sticky glue is a must do. your floor will still move. As far as the heated floor the whole set up for a 40 ft alpine including the thermostat. (floor heat thermostats are a not the same as a regular heating/ac thermostat) will run about $425 Shipped to you. It is paper thin and sticks to the floor so it does not move. you can use thinset for tile or sticky glue to install the LVP floor to. We like this product because it is not affected by water. It is made by Calorique. I am a dealer for the product so I extend ACA members a discount. I am currently heading up dealer development for the Recreational Vehicle division. (see Attached Flyer) The mats are in 3' wide 18" wide pieces that run down the middle of the coach. In the case of the 40 I ran a 3'x 10' down the middle of the salon/kitchen starting at the pocket door separating the Kitchen & the bathroom. (You do not need to cover the whole floor with the heat pad) I ran an 18"x10' mat down the middle of the bathroom starting at the pocket door. Both of the lead wires ran up through the refer cabinet. The the new thermostat placed under the heat/AC thermostat. I did not use the floor heat sensor you would normally use on a floor warmer.That is why instead of just warm floors it actually keeps the coach a comfortable 68 degrees. When the thermostat is set on 68 degrees the floor temperature is at 77 degrees. At this point this is definitely something you use when you are plugged in to shore power but it is nice not hearing the suburban "jet" heater or heat pumps not turning on and off all night.

As far as installation of the LVP, yes anybody can do it, but you really need to be that tedious, patient, exact type of person to to install the floor. If you are going to have it installed by a professional (which I think is a great choice) They Have the specialty tools needed to do the job right & fast. (If you have ever seen a pro install a floor there are Specialty tools that are pretty cool) I would hire a good LVP installer that has never done an RV. They will give you a better price because the Job looks small. There are no special tricks to an RV just time consuming. It isn't until he has done one that he figures out that it can be a bit of a beast. It is a 2 to 3 day adventure for a pro. Once they have done one they usually say they will never do another one again. I actually got my installer to do it a second time after he said he would never do an RV again. He did it on diagonal. It turned out beautiful. He told me to don't ever call him about an RV again. (they can make more money installing regular installations). I think he used the term "Time Suck". It cost about $2500 to have it installed. I have heard Just installation prices ranging from $7000 to $10.000 including demo. We have had ours almost 2 years (longer than I originally thought) and no expansion contraction issues or joint issues.
I look forward to see how your updates develop. I will be posting additional pics of some of the updates we made.

Just a side note we did not make any changes to our slide rollers. I did do a cabinet reconfiguration adding a dishwasher and replacing the 3 drawers at the end of the peninsula with a deep pull out Peninsula extension cabinet with 3 side drawers and storage for all of the counter top appliances like blenders, toasters that roll out on 3 500 lb drawer slides. It pulls out and it works, it clears the floor ... barely so I am adding a roller wheel there. See Photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9765.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	270273

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9779.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	270274

Calorique_RVFloorheating-Flyer_8x11_0119[23433] (2).pdf
CarynsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #45

Caryn & Bruce, that is a beautiful coach update! I wish I had seen this thread when I had my LVP plank floor installed as I would have added the floor heating sheets. What a great idea.

Can you detail how you achieved your ceiling update? How did you get the relief pattern? What material did you use and how was it applied? I don't believe you ripped out the old ceiling and replaced it, but I could be wrong. I really like the look you have and like the "mood lighting" as well.

Thanks
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #46

Caryn and Bruce,
Thanks for the details.
I love, love, love the peninsula extension. Not just for storage but for counter prep space and also serving space.
Brilliant.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Caryn & Bruce, that is a beautiful coach update! I wish I had seen this thread when I had my LVP plank floor installed as I would have added the floor heating sheets. What a great idea.

Can you detail how you achieved your ceiling update? How did you get the relief pattern? What material did you use and how was it applied? I don't believe you ripped out the old ceiling and replaced it, but I could be wrong. I really like the look you have and like the "mood lighting" as well.

Thanks
You guys will all be at the Quartzsite rally so a great chance to see everyone's work "Up close and personal".
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
You guys will all be at the Quartzsite rally so a great chance to see everyone's work "Up close and personal".

Yeah, but that means I'll have to bathe first to get "up close," and I only shower on Feb. 29th.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #49

Caryn and Bruce,
Any updates with the radiant film under your LVP flooring?
No issues or problems so far?
I was worried that the flooring joints would migrate if they got warm....or maybe get brittle after a while.

Thanks

Tags
floor