RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

New flooring

After we resolve our subfloor issue (see earlier post), we will be installing new flooring. On this site, we've noticed a number of people talking about installing LVT floating flooring. We took the coach to Dave and LJ's in Woodlands Wa. regarding upholstery and possibly having them do the flooring. They said they do not install any of the LVT due to coaches being subject to too much temperature variance, resulting in too much movement of the flooring. They only do glue down vinyl with a mineral based core such as Duraceramic or tile. I've seen at least 1 person on this site replacing their floating floor due to cupping.

We're not crazy about the look of the Duraceramic and not sure we want tile again. What else have people used?

Bill and Sonia 40 MDTS
PitMan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #2

We bought commercial carpet tiles. 2x2, easy to work with. We only replaced the carpeting, not the tiles.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

I had our flooring, both tile and carpet, replaced with Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring from Home Depot. It is waterproof and is a locking plank that is thicker than most others, at 6mm. Though it is "floating," the installer used an easy-release adhesive that does not harden and become brittle and individual planks can be removed/replaced if necessary. The installer was a professional who installs flooring in homes and also in motorhomes at a large RV dealership. Using adhesive voids the lifetime warranty, but so does installation in a motorhome. I had no problem with that.

It's been two years now with no issues at all. No cupping, no separations. Just to be fair, I live in Southern California and my coach is not subject to extreme temperature changes.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

Ljwt,
Was that the "life proof" stuff?
I put that on a concrete basement floor for my daughter. The tight fit and precise alignment was very impressive.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #5

Before I put new floors in a few houses, I did a lot of research.
There is a lot of anecdotal and factual information online as well as manufacturers websites and printed documents.

Cupping or separating is not just about the installation technique or the environment (temp/humidity/vibration/torsion)
It is also about the product itself.

Not all LVP or laminate is created equal.
For the vinyl, some has too much give---normal use can move the joints out of position or the whole floor can go out of whack where there is traffic flow. Even if it is glued it can still creep.
Some laminates and wood composites are just not stable due to the way they were manufactured. For example, Lumber liquidators got called out for several wood and composites because they just didn't stay put. It wasn't the installation or the environment.

So what I'm saying is that there is good quality LVP out there that will be fine in a motorhome whether you glue it or not. You just have to use a decent product.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Ljwt,
Was that the "life proof" stuff?
I put that on a concrete basement floor for my daughter. The tight fit and precise alignment was very impressive.
Yes, I believe it was.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

I installed LVT in my coach last year. Make sure to use a tile rated for -20 to +150 degrees, like for seasonal cabins. Interior rated tiles are not recommended by tile mfg in RV. Also ensure tile is completely waterproof so it won’t degrade Or swell with moisture. I used Adura brand rigid tile. They snap together. I did not seal to the floor, leave an expansion joint along edge and cover with caulked in mitered quarter round to finish. The smaller tile will be easier to work with. Cuts like glass with a box cutter. A fine tooth saw works good. It is a difficult project because of the tight spaces in bathroom etc. Looks good, quiet and a little softness underfoot.
Good luck, Ted
Old 07-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #8

Pit man,
There are several alpine and monaco new floor threads for you to read.
Some are diy, some used pros, some added red guard, some added radiant heat film, some are diagonal, some are sideways, some are longways.
There are a lot of pictures and solutions for slide glides/wheels and all sorts of cool details to consider.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #9

PitMan, find another dealer !

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Watch your flooring levels

We installed floating vinyl in the main floor of the coach. We have one large street side slide. We are having a devil of a problem getting them both to the same level when slide is out. it is even worse since the slide floor varries the difference with the mail floor. I think my installer will ultimately put wedges to raise the main floor to the level of the slide to eliminate tripping hazards. I am trying to find out thru my newmar dealer if there is anyway to adjust the height of the slide floor.
So watch out for that issue.
Jim

Tags
floor, flooring