Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

New galley backsplash

In my initial Alpine remodeling I removed the mirror tiles on the bulkhead next to the dining table. They were a bear to remove. Then the mirrors in the rear bedroom wall, which came off almost too easily (a little unnerving).

So now, my third and final mirror project is to replace the mirrors above the cooktop (2000 38 FDS) with a ceramic tile backsplash.

As any of you who have poked around in there know, there is no wall behind those mirrors, just a 1 X frame that catches the mirrors top and bottom.

So I was wondering if anyone tried to just go right over the mirrors with mastic and then tile, rather than remove the mirrors and rebuild a solid surface wall underneath before tiling?

Why not just tear the mirrors out?
I am concerned with accidentally damaging the wooden framing members because they are sort of delicate. They would be very difficult to access if they needed to be rebuilt or reinforced.
I am also concerned about having little mirror pieces accidentally fall down in the hard-to-access little space behind the wall, which is also a slide.

Any thoughts?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Funny, we left the bedroom mirrors in place and covered them with pvc tiles, and built a new headboard also.
We removed the tiles in the kitchen and simply built a filler for the shower valve access hole. Used peel n stick tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	272054  
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

We had someone else do the work. My advice for removing glass or mirrors is to tape the front of the glass with packing tape or duct tape. This will help keep any broken pieces together. Use gloves and eye protection.

Here’s a photo of what we had done. It is a solid color Corian with a few tiles from the original backsplash for accents. It looks a bit plain with the counter empty, but it dresses up quite well.

We also had the electrical outlets relocated to the underside of the wall cabinets. One is visible on the foreground cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DC1B9790-9448-4160-B2D3-97447755AE40.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	272052  
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club

Views:	60
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	272055

That wall is stronger than you think, actually very well constructed and the cutout has a decent framework around it.
I simply pin nailed 1/2" plywood strips to the frame and screwed 1/2" plywood to those. If the shower valve ever fails it's still accessible for $30 bucks worth of tiles.
(Art3D, Amazon)
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

I covered my mirrors with peel and stick stainless steel tiles from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/stainles...20tiles?NCNI-5

If any mirror is showing around the edges, you can always add some moulding. Mine shows just a sliver of mirror at the top which I planned on covering but it's been a couple of years now and you really have to look to see it.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #6

RVPioneer, does the 40 also have that access for the shower, and what did you do about that?
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
RVPioneer, does the 40 also have that access for the shower, and what did you do about that?
We have a 36’. There is a removable panel in the upper kitchen cabinet to access the fittings at the shower head. I believe the valve is removable from inside the shower stall.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 AM   #8

Ahhhh, the shower valve! Good safety tip.
Great idea with the access panel.
I agree: not much cost to demo later if it ever became necessary.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:33 AM   #9

In an unrelated note, Alpine36, that sofa looks really cool. Is it a new unit or a cover over the old one?

My delemma about replacing the factory sofa bed is that, other than being a little grubby and looking a little......old, it's not worn out. Its really high quality and comfortable.

I would hate to spend the money to replace if with something new, and find it to be less comfortable. I have shopped around and tried new sofa beds costing up to $4000 and my impression is always "yeah, that's ok, but it's not better than what we have now."
Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We went with a split face stone for our backsplash. It's actually a Peel and stick (real stone) and we used a bunch of additional adhesive to help it

We elected to add a box and put a knife rack in the space for the shower valve access which can be removed in the future easily if needed.

The only other thing we have done is to replace the old Black microwave with a new Sharp version.....fit right on the old bracket and was only 2 screws to take out old one and replace with new......$500 online and changes the look dramatically
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3085.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	272135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	272136  

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	272137  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

Thumbs up Shower valve access

We also replaced the kitchen mirror backsplash with stick on stone veneer. We infilled the shower valve access with wood and tiles over it. As a retired plumber I can assure you that the shower valve can be serviced and repaired from inside the shower stall. The only time I can think that the valve "body" needs to be access is to repair freeze damage , at which time you will be replacing the valve, or if you just want to replace the valve with an upgraded pressure balance valve. The shower valve is a Moen brand and cartridges are widely available as millions of these are in use in standard residential structures.

Fun Bus
2000 36FDS/Dakota Toad
Fun Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bus View Post
We also replaced the kitchen mirror backsplash with stick on stone veneer. We infilled the shower valve access with wood and tiles over it. As a retired plumber I can assure you that the shower valve can be serviced and repaired from inside the shower stall. The only time I can think that the valve "body" needs to be access is to repair freeze damage , at which time you will be replacing the valve, or if you just want to replace the valve with an upgraded pressure balance valve. The shower valve is a Moen brand and cartridges are widely available as millions of these are in use in standard residential structures.

Fun Bus
2000 36FDS/Dakota Toad
My thoughts exactly as we covered up the Moen shower valve.
Chances of needing to access it from the backside are slim, as it works perfectly fine.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
In an unrelated note, Alpine36, that sofa looks really cool. Is it a new unit or a cover over the old one?

My delemma about replacing the factory sofa bed is that, other than being a little grubby and looking a little......old, it's not worn out. Its really high quality and comfortable.

I would hate to spend the money to replace if with something new, and find it to be less comfortable. I have shopped around and tried new sofa beds costing up to $4000 and my impression is always "yeah, that's ok, but it's not better than what we have now."
Brianna,
It's still the original fabric flexsteel sleeper sofa. Our coach has the longer fabric sofa on the drivers side and the shorter white pleather one on the passenger side. We find them very comfortable, but the fabric one, although in excellent condition, screamed 1986.
It was the same fugly fabric that matched the window treatments. Wife updated those, and bought a slip cover for the sofa.
She found it at Greatbayhome.com. It's the twill stretch cover type and fits like a glove, and stays put. I know she looked and looked...
The only drawback is if you fold it out to a bed it needs to be tucked back in. I think it was under $40.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	58
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	272164  
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club