Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
New Koni's Installed Yesterday

Coach Care in Coburg, OR installed the new Koni's. The tech, Troy, had a concern that the barrel of the 99 might hit a bolt protruding from the hanger where the top of the shock is attached. He aired the bags up and dumped the air a few times to check the travel and said there was a good 1/8 of an inch clearance but said I should keep an eye on it, especially after hitting a large rut in the road or something that would make the shock travel it's full compression distance.

I really appreciate the careful attention to detail Troy took with our coach and taking time to explain everything.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Glad he explained everything--curious though, I thought the 99s were designed with no top "barrel/dust cover"--curiously like the road kings. Since the 99s are installed with the piston/reservoir portion of the shock down, only the piston shaft is exposed at the top--hard to believe there is a clearance issue at the top--unless the shocks were installed upside down?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Glad he explained everything--curious though, I thought the 99s were designed with no top "barrel/dust cover"--curiously like the road kings. Since the 99s are installed with the piston/reservoir portion of the shock down, only the piston shaft is exposed at the top--hard to believe there is a clearance issue at the top--unless the shocks were installed upside down?????
That is exactly how I installed our 99's-- no clearance issues.

Exposed shaft (no dust cover) UP
Reservoir/shock body DOWN

Brett
2003 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The shock body is down, however, when you let the air out of the bags and the shock compresses, the body of the shock moves up toward where the top of the shock is attached to the frame.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Anyway, now Janet and I have experienced what our coach is supposed to ride like and we absolutely love it. Drives like the Maserati that merged onto I-5 ahead of us, changed lanes and then disappeared, leaving us far behind in the blink of an eye.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

Did you have the rear shocks changed as well and how long did they take to change out the rears?

Geoff
Old 09-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Geoff,

Unknown how long it took for the rears. We just left it and had fun for the day.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

OK Thanks

I had my front shocks changed at the Alpine Rally in Quartzsite but not the rears but I am going to have them changed this fall.

Geoff
Old 09-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

I had all four of mine changed last year at the FMCA in Redmond, Oregon. The rears didn't take any longer than the fronts - they just had to get all the way under the coach to do it.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I guess a better question would be why did WRV put the bolt in from the back and put the nut on the side facing the shock instead of pushing the bolt in from the wheelwell side and putting the nut on from the other side?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Smile Koni Shock Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Anyway, now Janet and I have experienced what our coach is supposed to ride like and we absolutely love it. Drives like the Maserati that merged onto I-5 ahead of us, changed lanes and then disappeared, leaving us far behind in the blink of an eye.
Hey Janet and Todd, I just looked at the Koni website and saw the cost of 4 Koni shocks for the Alpine is around $800! What is so special about these shocks and are they really worth that cost? I have a 2008 and the ride is good so I don't need them now. I am just asking for the future.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
$715.20 with free shipping from Shockwarehouse.com They're less expensive than Road Kings. The Koni 99's are new, made especially for the Alpine. Anyway, that's 2 tanks of fuel at the $4.00 price point we had.

Tags
install, koni, led