Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Smile New Member Needs Help with Headlights

Hello everyone!

We have been RV'ers for that last 25 years. We started with a pop up. (That lasted 1 1/2 years haha!) We then bought our first class A. We had so much fun camping with the kids!
Now, we are on our third RV, and working to correct some issues.
I have a 2006 Western RV Alpine that has very cloudy headlights. I have checked prices on replacing then, and found that for a pair, it will cost between $400 - $500.
Is there any other way to replace them? I have seen notices that they can be replaced with a BMW model, but I am not sure what model and if it will work. Can anyone help answer some questions??

Thanks
Jjmktm8463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Try this.

site:irv2.com/forums/f104 headlights
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmktm8463 View Post
Hello everyone!

We have been RV'ers for that last 25 years. We started with a pop up. (That lasted 1 1/2 years haha!) We then bought our first class A. We had so much fun camping with the kids!

Now, we are on our third RV, and working to correct some issues.

I have a 2006 Western RV Alpine that has very cloudy headlights. I have checked prices on replacing then, and found that for a pair, it will cost between $400 - $500.

Is there any other way to replace them? I have seen notices that they can be replaced with a BMW model, but I am not sure what model and if it will work. Can anyone help answer some questions??

Thanks

Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine family!

One of the most powerful tools available on IRV2 is the search function, if you first search your questions you will most likely find an answer on the Alpine forum, it has been around for 15+ years and has the answer for just about any question you have, in fact the headlight subject has come up at least a dozen times, including replacing the entire assembly as well as polishing the existing set. If you start at the Alpine Owners page at the top of your screen you will see a magnifying glass and the word "Search", type in a few key words and you will be shocked at the number of threads that will appear. This will, in most cases, get you an immediate answer while asking a question via a new posting will take hours or days. If by some chance you don't find your exact topic, then post your question, Alpine owners enjoy helping you help yourself.

Again welcome to IRV2, it is a powerful tool.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 & the world of Alpine Coaches!

As an option you could consider polishing the headlights with one of several products available for a reasonable cost (<$30). I've used 3 - products in the past and currently use Maguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit. It's relatively easy to use, lasts the longest of those I've tried, and you can purchase additional polish & protectant at most auto parts stores.

I found it easier to remove the headlights to perform the polishing. However, I did have issues the plastic mounting brackets on the lights breaking during removal due to age. If you opt for the removal method, use small adjustable pliers (Channel Locks) to hold the plastic bracket while loosening the nut.

Here's what they looked like after polishing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polished Headlights.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	170058
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you use tooth past an sponge put the tooth paste on the lense and rub away. It takes awhile but it works and lasts a long time. I have done this on. Both cars and it really works
Jeflen
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmktm8463 View Post
I have seen notices that [headlights] can be replaced with a BMW model, but I am not sure what model and if it will work.
I searched ebay and Amazon for BMW E39 5-Series. Purchased replacements and they look great. Welcome to Alpine!!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #7

Sam's club or Walmart have a headlight restoration service for $30. I'd try them first.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I just used the headlight restore product (3M) on my headlights. It took about 2 hours to perform the job. That included both headlight removal and installation. They look outstanding - brand new! I wasn't a believer of the process until I placed the first headlight after I completed it next to the other one for a comparison. $18 total investment and mine were in bad shape. Highly recommend.
2006 Alpine Apex 40FDQS #75583
Yakima, WA
bcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #9

I had a top body man share this long-term fix & is what I did after trying many of those already suggested.
I taped off both our 03 BMW headlights on our Alpine Coach, bought 1600 grit wet or dry sandpaper, a water spray bottle & sanded wet about one hour on each headlight until the cloudiness & yellow was gone with the lenses wet. I allowed them to dry then used masking tape & newspaper to protect the front cap around the headlights from overspray.
I purchased the toughest clear coat I found on the market in a spray can...VHT Gloss Clear Wheel Paint. I followed the directions spraying several coats 10 minutes apart. This clear coat is hard as a rock & after 1 1/2 years these headlight look brand new plus the elements can't impact this clear coat finish like the plastic under this finish!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

Head light restoration

I just finished polishing mine. I bought a kit at Harbor Freight for $15. Comes with sanding discs (500, 800, 3,000 grit) and polish and polishing disc. I'm no pro so I think the results were a 100% improvement.
TheKassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags